Author Topic: New variator, contra spring, and fly springs installed  (Read 15951 times)

Psuffix

• View Profile
Re: New variator, contra spring, and fly springs installed
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2012, 03:17:48 AM »
Would it be too much to ask for a pic of the work you had to do? Kinda having a hard time imagining what it is I'm going to have to be drilling.

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2012, 08:38:17 AM »
Not too much to ask at all, though it won't be until tomorrow due to work. It is not difficult, but Zombie is correct about taking the time to line it up. One thing I found was that the smaller bolt in the hardware kut (that attaches the black"hanger" for the pipe) does not go fully through the case's threaded hole, which is why I ended up using the old one from the Tecnigas. I am about to go to the first of two jobs today, so will try to write more tomorrow. I can say that the pipe is well worth the investment and initial attachment.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »
It's hard to believe how much work goes into every part. It's like a jig saw puzzle. The difference is we have to trim all the pieces to make them fit. I'll never understand how some guys get away w/ slapping it together.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2012, 10:05:17 PM »
So, no pics as I have been balancing work, baby prep and working on the scooter. Here is what has occurred:
 With a crush ring gasket only and with the flanges meeting well at the engine, the tube on the pipe for bolting to the case is covering half the hole and the hanging hardware doesn't line up at all.
With crush ring and additional gasket, the tube is completely in front of the case and the flanges are slightly askew, though the pipe hole and the engine port meet up. Too, in this latter configuration, the hanging hardware can be adjusted to match with the second engine case attachment hole. I had originally gone with the last configuration and had to drill a hole in the plate to the left of the attachment tube to get a bolt into the case.
With the crush ring only, it  can fit all attachment points, but the pipe flange is a little askew, though as noted before, port and exhaust hole line up. This last config is where I have settled for now.
ParaIndiana (see thread "My Like 50-ish") had no trouble at all bolting his on in its' original form.
Here's my real problem, though: in either configuration, there is a pinhole of an exhaust leak on the underside of the flange. I can feel a very small push of air with each stroke. I have to get a secondary gasket on this thing. Originally, I had gotten the "reinforced" gasket via racing planet, but that prevents the crush ring from fully sealing and the "leak" was more widespread. I will have to poke around for something thinner that I can cut to fit. It is really for the perimeter of the flange, but a leak ain't good, no matter how small it is (though I do think there might have been one with the Tecnigas, as there was one area of it at the pipe flange with a little bit of goo (funnily enough in the same location I found the "pinhole").
Bitch of it is, I am tapped until next week.
For the record, at sea level, an 88 main jet is just a wee bit lean and a 95 too rich. 92 is happy. Perhaps a little on the rich side, but no sputter and I feel safe for the few days in "winter" when our high is 60/low in the upper 30s.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 10:13:06 PM by wassonii »
sans scooter, rien

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:40 PM »
hey man,
I am behind a s all get out on this thread but was readingf your post from today about the pinhole exhaust leak.....
Everytime I remove the exhaust I always put a thin coat of rvt sealer on the flange as well. This helps stop my pesky, tiny exhaust leaks.
Good top see that you are sticking to it...
I hope to get back on mine next month...... :'(
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2012, 12:00:55 AM »
Goood call! Thanks, man. I've been banging up my head and hands trying to work it out - all the while fearing over-tightening those nuts. I damn sure don't want to hear the ping and rush of fresh air to the engine.
Fingers crossed for you and September!
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2012, 06:14:29 AM »
Try some thin copper sheet as a secondary gasket. I have a sheet about 12" by 8", and .5mm thick. A local roofer brought it back as scrap from a job. I've made about 10-12 gaskets so far out of it.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2012, 02:09:59 PM »
I will try some added, modified gasketry, but for this morning's attempts I'd like to pass along some practical observations:
I have tried several different configurations. I came closest to fitting the long bolt into the case's threaded hole only with the pipe loosely bolted to the engine and steadily pulling hard on the pipe and wiggling a little. 3/4 of the hole was exposed, but never enough to grab a thread. I think if this had worked, I would have had a heckuva time attaching the y-bracket.
I tried removing one of the exhaust studs, loosely bolting the long bolt through the tube and getting the pipe to go onto the engine mount. Nada.
What I have currently found to be the best configuration with the least amount of leak (and no additional gasket) only has the pipe attached at the engine and at the y-bracket. In this configuration, the pipe flange meets almost perfectly at the engine mount, there is a smaller pinhole of a leak (which will eventually go away, I think, as the crush ring beds in), but there is no attachment at the engine case below the cooling fan - the LV tube for its' longest bolt rests against the case and the hole I drilled is beyond the case threaded hole (which sits at present almost exactly at the point of the weld that attaches the bolt tube to the piece of plate steel.)
How evil will it be to run with only the 2 attachment points?
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2012, 06:36:32 AM »
Depends on the center of gravity of the pipe, and how heavy it is. If there is ANY torque on the pipe ie: tightening bolts to pull it in place, there is a great chance of it cracking near a weld. That will drive you nutz wondering why you have to keep jetting richer.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2012, 09:31:19 AM »
Understood. With this most recent attachment, there was the least amount of the bolts adjusting the pipe into place on tightening and the bolt tube under the fan is held against the case (i.e. the mid section is supported). I am going to go with it for now and monitor. I may see if a j-bolt could be used in that section to give some additional support. It's the lightest exhaust of the 3 I have had on the scoot and the relative center is at one of the y-bracket connections on the pipe. (the one I used to suspend the pipe for vht application, actually)
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »
I took the scoot out for a run this morning after returning to the 38 idle jet. It may be a little rich at idle, but the transition to the needle is much smoother than the 35. After the run, I could detect no air leak at all, so I'll just figure out how to give a better support since this seems happiest. Top speed has been just under 50 (about 48) with one of my Kymco belts and a little less with the other. the cvt still need a little tweaking and I want to get a new belt (both of my Kymco belts are about 17.25 or less), but for now it is all good. Gotta focus on trying to deliver a baby:)
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2012, 08:16:40 PM »
Have you picked a name yet? I like Jpres's handle... Kymco Jones! Yup! Kymco Jones Wasonii. You should put his/her application in for the Polini team asap!

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2012, 11:33:42 PM »
Gotta focus on trying to deliver a baby:)

WOW man that is AWESOME....
Congratulations on the baby..
 I seen my lil girl come into this world. A beautiful experience indeed.......

....BUUUTTT...... A VERY DISTURBING something that I may not get to watch again..... :-X
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2012, 11:51:14 PM »
Delivered this morning. I lobbied for Kymco in the hopes it could have been worked into a new scoot, but m'lady would have none of that...
sans scooter, rien

Psuffix

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2012, 07:01:35 PM »
Grats wass! I'm sure you're incredibly happy!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()