Author Topic: GV 250cc - Carburetor Cleaning & Resulting Top Speed issue...  (Read 3117 times)

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
GV 250cc - Carburetor Cleaning & Resulting Top Speed issue...
« on: September 19, 2013, 07:52:25 AM »
Just adding a solution even though this is an old post.

You can brush or apply grease into the groove that the diaphragm sits in to seal things back up.  Depending on how much is got messed up you might need to put a weight on part of the diaphragm and apply rtv a section at a time.

Update: 09-18-2013

I don't recommend applying silicone or rtv hi-tack gasket cement  (except in extreme situations) as I had a problem with my carburetor again yesterday.  The main went out after being parked for 30 min.  Took it apart today and found two things:

1. first I removed the diaphragm and dipped in in a clean 1 quart can with "odorless Mineral Spirits"  I needed something to dissolve the RTV Hi-Tack but not damage the rubber like carb cleaner.  I found that the Hi-Tack is like shelac in that it takes a long time to harden - which is good and bad depending on how and why it is used.  After cleaning up I applied dielectric grease (just out of convenience) to the lip or groove where the seal sits.  This helped the seal go where it was supposed to and helps form an air tight "vacuum seal".

Start up and the problem was still present - ok on slow jet but no fuel from the main jet.  Next, I loosened both boots but left everything else connected and Drained and removed the bowl.  Check slow jet and main and everything was fine except... The tip "main jet" was missing.  I found it in the bowl.  Either I forgot to tighten it or did not tighten it enough.  I put everything back together and the scoot is working great.  Will give it the real test on the highway.

As a precaution against lean burn I ordered a replacement carb that is by Keihin with electric choke etc, except there IS a re-build kit available unlike the Stock OEM Keihin CVK30 (30mm engine / 50mm air cleaner side). 

Also, I found out from a Kymco dealer that sells parts online that the #1 part sold for the OEM Kymco carb is the diaphragm.  I suspect that is because people open the door under the seat to adjust the idle and decide to get creative with the carb cleaner on the diaphragm and end up damaging it.   

Lessons Learned: pull your carb off and fool with it enough times you start to get pretty good and figuring out what is wrong and making things work.

Also, a malfunctioning carb is often the result of clogging from sitting (in my case from the original owner)... the danger is that when you motor does not get enough fuel it runs lean (hot) and that can damage the motor.  Solution: don't hesitate to replace it.  I ordered a comparable carb by Keihin for $63 online delivered and will install and post all relevant info: mpg, performance, fit and finish, etc with a link to the supplier and the part #.
PaulC

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
Re: GV 250cc - Carburetor Cleaning & Resulting Top Speed issue...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 01:11:30 PM »
Yes, a report how the replacement went woudl be great.  Make sure the new carb has the same jet sizes as ther old one!

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 07:58:55 AM »
Make sure the new carb has the same jet sizes as ther old one!

Thanks, I didn't think of that! 

Project is on hold because... The carb was not properly packed and the enricher snapped off.  I sent digital pics to the vendor www.ScooterPartsWholesale.com and they asked said they couldn't open the zip file.  I send individual pics and have gotten now response.

I don't like that the aftermarket carb lacks the ability to attach the TPS as without it I will not have any spark advance?  No one seems to offer an aftermarket carb with the TPS.  I considering ordering a new slow jet by one number size larger.  But I also wouldn't mind testing the aftermarket carb for performance, top speed and mpg, etc.

I also ordered oem parts from the Kymco online dealer http://kymcopartsonline.com/catalog/ in Orange County, CA and they sent the wrong variator face plate.  They said they would send the correct on and a return shipping container and nothing has arrived.  I emailed both vendors and threatened them with a Visa merchant charge back for each item.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:04:16 AM by mrbios »
PaulC

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 01:39:33 PM »
I did not know the G/V has a TPS (?)  Have you 100% positively identified that?  How does it look and where on the carburetor is it  connect to?  Any picture you could post/e-mail by chance?

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 04:03:53 AM »
Here it is... Please see attached photo.  Keihin CVK 30 / 50 mm carb.
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()