Author Topic: Operator's Manual omissions  (Read 3231 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Operator's Manual omissions
« on: February 16, 2016, 11:18:34 PM »
The operating manual does not say anything about an hour meter in the Multi-function display but it is there. The book also does not explain the "wrench" symbol on the display but I am sure it is related to the hour meter. The "wrench" shows when the hour meter reaches a preset value indicating oil change is due. This is similar to the oil symbol lighting on a Downtown 300i and scaring every new owner into thinking oil pressure is lost! Book says nothing about hours for maintenance intervals but indicates miles and kilometers. Will post when hour meter maxed out.

Karl

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Operator's Manual omissions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 12:09:18 AM »
Crossbolt.....are you referring to the UTV's gages or the scooter gages? Anyway to pull that hour meter up for viewing?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 02:44:27 PM »
UTV, airshot. 500i to be specific.

Pull up hour meter by pushing right-hand (ADJ) button for two seconds to switch display of ODO, Trip, hour meter, clock in that sequence, I think.

Karl
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 03:13:29 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 11:52:49 PM »
Does the hour meter display come up where the mph is displayed or does it display in the tiny numbers that show odometer which are so damn small I can't hardly see them without glasses?  I have to know where to point my telescope to read it !!  Thanks

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 02:28:13 AM »
Rinky-dink tiny numbers below speed readout.Get yer magnifying bifocals on!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

aaron8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 02:47:17 AM »
Oil change is 50 hrs or 600 miles

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 12:16:51 AM »
Rinky-dink tiny numbers below speed readout.Get yer magnifying bifocals on!

Karl

Had a chance to push some buttons this weekend and did find the hour meter, didn't realize they used a symbol to indicate the hour meter but my high powered spy glasses were able to make it out, thanks for that piece of information.  I did do my first oil change this weekend including the diff cases, went with all synthetic lubes so should be good for awhile. Mounted the homemade windshields, and my custom built plow mount. Hoping that big snow storm pans out for this week so I can try it out.....then next week it can go back to 70 degrees again.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 11:41:36 PM »
Changed oil today in engine and attempted in gearboxes. Not happy! Very grumpy! Operator's Manual, as usual, has errors and contradictions. What else is new? They will get it straight just like Honda did in the 60's. So right now, we gotta depend on each other to figure out what is right or close to right. First, the book says 3.6/3.0 L for an oil change. I figured the two values are for changing/not changing filter although they don't say that. Well, 4 QUARTS ain't enough to come half-way up the sight glass! I THINK it started to show at 4 qts but not sure.

The book says 0.27 ml and 0.25 ml for front and rear respectively. This is so ridiculously small that it is a warning to look in the back of the book which says 270/250 ml, quantities that make sense. What is not mentioned is a check level bolt on the rear box! Don't know yet about the front since I found that a tube to a funnel is needed to put the oil in the box.

Drain bolt on the engine is 17mm hex. Drain bolt on rear gear box is 8mm hex(even has a tiny o-ring and chip magnet!). Fill caps on front and rear boxes have 17mm hex.

Karl

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 02:45:51 AM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 03:45:36 AM »
Very interesting about your oil levels.. ON my 450i the oil level screw is on the front diff where the rear diff has no screw for oil level. My crankcase holds exactly 2 1/2 qts, bought a 5 qt jug of full syn and it used just half of it. Not much lube in the diff cases, I use a pump as I use this on my boat for the lower drive unit as well, and all it took was a couple pumps and they were full. I sort of pushed the fill limit just a bit as the amount of diff lube didn't seem to be much. Say what you will....but I can definitely tell how much smoother the engine runs and how much smoother the diffs roll with the syn lubes. Did have a tough time finding an oil filter though. There are a number of cross references given in the forums but none of the given part numbers would fit my machine. Yes I made a number of trips to the local parts store checking oil filters.  Finally had to bite the bullet and get the high dollar K&N oil filter and yes it did fit. Thinking about drilling and tapping suspension areas for grease fittings as I see no lubrication for them. Using a silicone grease will not harm the rubber as a petroleum grease might do.   Has anyone else did this before?   In fact I have found NO grease fittings on this machine or am I missing some?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 11:24:10 PM »
Turns out both front and rear gear boxes have check level bolts which makes filling really easy! You will need about 2 feet of 5/16 clear tubing to fill from a one quart squeeze bottle of oil. The check level ports and the 250/270 mL quantities seem to match.

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 12:24:38 AM »
  Crossbolt.....something you may find easier is to look in the marine section and get a gear oil pump, it drops into the quart bottle and has a hand operated plunger to pump the oil. When you stop pumping the oil flow stops rather quickly and they have about an 18" plus hose on them. I have a couple of these, they only cost less than 10 bucks (6.99 for the cheap one and 9.99 for the better one) and are quite handy. The better one unit has a clip to hold the fill hose upright so the oil doesn't run out. I use them whenever I need gear lube for any toys, lawn mowers, boat, and car.

Coach

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 01:42:40 AM »
UTV, airshot. 500i to be specific.

Pull up hour meter by pushing right-hand (ADJ) button for two seconds to switch display of ODO, Trip, hour meter, clock in that sequence, I think.

Karl

Thanks for posting this. I ask my dealer how to get the hour meter to show and he told me it didn't have one! But now I know better!
Retired outdoor bum!
I like it too!

aaron8

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 02:44:24 AM »
3 qts is all the 500 takes

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 03:47:15 AM »
Thanks for posting this. I ask my dealer how to get the hour meter to show and he told me it didn't have one! But now I know better!

Oh yea... they want you to think they know everything about your machine when your just looking....but after they get your money they tend to not remember anything. 

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 06:05:50 AM »
4 qts barely show on the sight glass, Aaron.

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()