Author Topic: aftermarket carburetor  (Read 3123 times)

dougm

• View Profile
aftermarket carburetor
« on: August 22, 2018, 12:32:18 AM »
On my way home, on the freeway at night in the middle lane I lost power.  Amazingly I was right at an exit, so I was able to roll off.  When I got my heartrate back down to normal the bike was idling fine, but anything over idle and it dragged down - so basically the (primary?) jets are clogged.  This has happened before when I left corn gas in it over the winter, but I haven't done that in years and this was after more than 100 miles covering several tanks of gas that day.  So I was caught off guard.

In any event, I wonder if those of you familiar with the carb on these can tell me if this aftermarket unit is a drop-in replacement on a 2007 People 250

http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.php/main_page/product_info/products_id/957/cPath/280/eID/8

What I'd like to do is a simple swap, then over the winter rebuild the stock carb.

Thank you for your help,

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
Re: aftermarket carburetor
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 05:46:46 AM »
Can you still ride the scoot?
Does it run, but only to a certain (low) speed even if you're trottle is wide open?
Agility City 125

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 04:11:44 AM »
Glad you made it out okay!

Not sure if it would fit, and I wonder if it wouldn't need a substantial amount of tuning even if it did. It definitely doesn't look like it was meant to be a replacement for the Kymco 250 scooters.

If you're comfortable working on the carburetor anyways, you might as well save yourself some effort in the long run and do it now. If you're careful with the gaskets and the o rings, you might not even need to wait for the rebuild kit to come in.

It would be the needle jet and main jet that you should be most suspicious about, in that order.

dougm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 03:51:11 PM »
Thank you for your responses - sorry for the delay, I guess I didn't configure to get notification email on reply.

I tried it again last night, hoping for a miracle, but I can sit on the bike, let it idle, then as soon as I twist the throttle it spins down and dies.

So I think the jets (are they called primary jets?) are completely plugged.

@hypophthalmus - thank you, that was absolutely the feedback I was looking for.  I don't ride much in the winter anyway, so will pull it apart and clean it up. 

So as to root cause, is this indicative of a trashed fuel filter?  Or is it more likely that it was corn particles developing in the carb that finally found their way to the wrong place?  I only use corn free gas when I store it over the winter.  In the summer I use whatever gas is available.

Thank you,

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 01:54:17 AM »
My guess is that something dislodged and got stuck in the needle jet or main jet.

Once you begin to open the throttle, it's the needle jet that supplies most of the fuel. Which is why I'm most suspicious of that.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()