Author Topic: Join the club  (Read 6026 times)

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
Re: Join the club
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2020, 04:44:48 PM »
Hi, all the mechanics that inspected the transmission said all is well in there, I'm not that technically inclined so I am not sure what to look for, here are some pictures if they are of any help.

The pulley (first photo) seem to have a black (rubber ?) ring towards the outer surface of the pulley. That obviously comes from the belt and I think it can make the pully surface quite “sticky”. If so, I think the Variator / Clutch combination will not work normally.

If I were you I would just clean both pulley surfaces properly, make sure there is no black residue on the pulleys, put everything together, and see what happens.

I am just guessing of cause.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Stefan0714

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2020, 05:38:54 PM »
The pulley (first photo) seem to have a black (rubber ?) ring towards the outer surface of the pulley. That obviously comes from the belt and I think it can make the pully surface quite “sticky”. If so, I think the Variator / Clutch combination will not work normally.

If I were you I would just clean both pulley surfaces properly, make sure there is no black residue on the pulleys, put everything together, and see what happens.

I am just guessing of cause.

I think that was cleaned last time transmission was opened, also the outer surface of the pulley gets used only when going high speeds if I'm not mistaken?
Thank you for the response.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2020, 05:35:44 AM »
I think that was cleaned last time transmission was opened, also the outer surface of the pulley gets used only when going high speeds if I'm not mistaken?
Thank you for the response.

Correct - but the clutch pulley probably also has a similar black (sticky ?) residue. That’s why I would make sure both pulleys are clean.

I already opened my variator- and clutch pulleys several times, and never found any residue on the pulleys. They are always clean and shiny.

By the way - are you sure this is the correct belt with correct angle ? It almost looks like the black residue is coming from the top part of the V shape only.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Stefan0714

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2020, 10:56:29 AM »
I did not observe any residue on the clutch pulley but I will make sure to take a close look next time I open the Trans, and also to clean everything thoroughly.
What would you say as the recommended solution for cleaning ( Gasoline, Brake Cleaner)?
By looking for the cause of the sound yesterday I found that one exhaust pipe is missing the screw nut on the engine head.
There are 4 screws on 2 pipes but only 3 34mm nuts.
Head where the nut is missing has also completely changed color.
Since I could not find a similar nut to replace I went to a guy that makes things like that from metal ( don't know english word for it) and ordered a new one to be made by sample.

Looking online I see that incorrect O2 readings can impact performance and create lean running conditions ( which would explain my gut feeling of running lean ).

I just ordered a replacement belt from china, it should be a direct replacement to Mitsuboshi i have on there now ,
 the belt item number is not visible so I am not even sure if that's the right belt , I got it with the bike.

Thank you,

Stefan0714

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2020, 04:08:19 PM »
I have installed the  nut barely with limited clearance between the pipes but the sound is still there when taking off.
It disappears after 2,3 take offs which I really do not understand.

Here is a new video I took of the bike running on stand, Is this sound I'm hearing normal ?
It's sounds like it's coming from the engine.

Sound : https://drive.google.com/file/d/15JwPO-Wgzxw_gsM3vnxk0Q5fEmjnUOCK/view?usp=drivesdk

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2020, 05:54:19 AM »
Unfortunately in rural areas in our country many people believed they would be immune to the virus. Others believed the virus did not exist -they believed was just a story made up by white people to scare them. Many still disrespect lock-down rules and carry on as normal.
This already has huge complications for all citizens, including the rest of Africa. We have millions of illegal immigrants from Africa and since lock-down they had no financial support from our government. So they started leaving, spreading the virus in Africa.

I am more than convinced that South Africa will soon have the highest infection rate in the world.
Thank you for sharing. My warmest hopes for everyone to be safe.

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2020, 05:58:57 AM »
Have you looked for signs of the belt rubbing in the belt cover?
A not uncommon problem on some big scooters - and generally nothing to be concerned about if you find that to be the case.

Stig
Good idea. 
too have felt some "vibration" at times and am wondering if it may be the belt.

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2020, 06:11:26 AM »
I sure wish Kymco had made more 700is'
I believe that a larger used 700i market could have driven much more "new scooter" sales by now and the 700i is an excellent freeway scooter.
I have needed to travel on the freeway several times this week. All of them in high speed traffic and for once I am not relegated to the slow lane.
 It is very nice to be riding a good looking Kymco and comfortably cruising at seventy five.
Not a brag... Just a report.
Kymco makes great maxi-scooters

Fm Studio

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2020, 08:13:59 PM »
How do I Post?

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2020, 08:32:38 PM »
That "Yo-Semite" (Trump-Speak) trip looks to be delayed due to politics of the Republicans vs the Democrats.
I await that Stimulus so I can go stimulate the local economy with a Yosemite trip.
Watch this space!

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2020, 10:46:49 PM »
 Well, I  have an update on registering an out of State motorcycle in California. After 3 months the issues with the DMV  are at an end and I won.
 First DMV misses the Federal Sticker then the police miss the Federal Sticker and the Emissions Sticker.
 Now just so this post has value let me explain what happens if you have an out of State vehicle the DMV decides is not able to be registered that has less then 7500 miles on it.  You can Never ever ever ever register that vehicle or sell that vehicle in California. Did I say ever?
 The short story is DMV made a mistake and CHP made two mistakes on the inspection(s) and neither wanted to take responsibility.  It requires a top level review and their bosses would find out.
 Nonetheless after I refused each new "hoop to jump through they tried to get me to do" they told me I needed to contact State officials and file an appeal. I stood my ground today, repeated the facts and made them do their job.  I now have a registered 700i
 So to all of you who find yourself in the same boat know that I called KymcoUSA and they said ALL Motorcycles and Scooters they import are C.A.R.B compliment.
 I wonder if there is some kind of criminal activity problem with bringing bikes into California from out of State?  I mean I imported a China scooter from CHINA and didn't have as much trouble.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 11:30:36 PM by Ernst »

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2020, 07:08:05 AM »
What a ball-ache Ernst, glad you got there in the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2020, 03:58:53 PM »
What a ball-ache Ernst, glad you got there in the end.

Just noticed your forum nameand by your list of bikes I was correct in assuming you own or owned a Triumph Dayton 955i. Cool.
I worked for Triumph America for about 7 years during the 955i years. Spent many laps on one. My fav was the Tiger 955i, Speed Triple made me smile big and my 01 Bonneville is still cool. People still ask 'What year is that"? When I say "it's an 01" they look really confused, they think its vintage. Then I show them my 69.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2020, 07:00:14 AM »
Yep, I owned the 955i for 20 years so you’ll see how much I liked it!  Only sold it because my neck and back are no longer up to more than 10 minutes in a “racer crouch”.  My stable now are both comfortable upright riding positions.

[emoji106]

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2020, 03:05:06 AM »
About Ebay bidding, wait for the last 30 seconds to up-bid. I waited for the last 15 seconds and had to up-bid $450 to win. I can really type fast! The point is to not give the other bidders any notification that the bid has been increased until the auction is over. Play Mean to win! In the end the high bidder lost by $50.

That's what I have esnipe for many years, they atarted in 1999. :)

The reason Kymco brought the MyRoad to the US was mostly a market ploy. It allowed Kymco US to tout that they had the largest cc scoot in the market. Only 200 or so were brought in, one year only. $10K, many consumers balked as did dealers. Lot's of incentive were put on the bike along with long flooring terms for the dealers. It's a cool scoot but big and a bit top heavy but, excelent for long distance touring. BMW used the power train in their C series scoots.

It was sold in the US for the last two model years it was made, 2014/2015. I have know idea how many were imported in the US. Ive only known a couple of owners in all SoCal. Kymco started making the bike back in 2008 in other markets and from what I've heard it wasn't initially sold here because of an agreement with BMW to manufacture the engines used in the C600 and C650GT scooters so they didn't want the competition here. In the years since Kymco has taken over complete assembly of the big BMW scoot in addition to making the new 400 BMW scoot.

I waited for years for them to bring the bike here and I thought it was simply too expensive (price on par with a new Burgman 650 at the time). I then waited longer until a huge discount was offered on a new 2014 so I bought it in 2016.

Once I was out of the city and on a long stretch of straight road I opened it up. I was cruising at 60 mph when I gave it some gas and it smoothly accelerated to 90 mph. I believe the rpms were at 6000 for 90 mph but I chickened out when things got a bit blurry to me above 90. I am sure it will go faster then that but will I?

At 93 mph you'll get the "Speed" warning light turned on, lol.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()