Author Topic: On being 'Un-Manly"  (Read 3797 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
On being 'Un-Manly"
« on: August 04, 2016, 10:53:38 AM »
Walked through the big tired 4WD pick-ups this morning in Tim Horton parking lot to get pictures of another colorful sunrise.
Returning to my chair on the patio I noticed the fellows laughing at me from their table inside.
6'3" two-legged canary taking snaps of the sky over his blue and white scooter. (I did have my giant yellow Nolan off my head - unusually)
You know...at my age...after 6 kids and 3 out of 4 pretty good dogs....it takes a LOT to make this scooter rider feel embarrassed.
The good Lord gives me a nice sunrise....I'm going to enjoy it.
He probably has a pristine vintage Lambretta for His sunrise rides.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

PaulF

• View Profile
Re: On being 'Un-Manly"
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 11:09:47 AM »
Glad it did not embarrass you.  Funny about the attitude of some people especially when they are in a group together.  Sunrises and sunsets are something that most of us take for granted but when you actually sit back and enjoy one it's so calming.  One of natures' free gifts.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 12:03:17 PM »
Buncha guys INSIDE snickering....one of the "hold my beer and watch THIS" crowd I'll bet. What else with fat-tire 4WD pickups. Yup, real creative, innovative types for certain. All wearing ball caps, weren't they?

Karl

PS: All canaries have two legs!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 06:29:18 PM »
I might have just waved and then gave them the wind-up middle finger. After adjusting my panty hose first.  :-*
Wayne

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 06:44:20 PM »
I might have just waved and then gave them the wind-up middle finger. After adjusting my panty hose first.  :-*
Buncha guys INSIDE snickering....one of the "hold my beer and watch THIS" crowd I'll bet. What else with fat-tire 4WD pickups. Yup, real creative, innovative types for certain. All wearing ball caps, weren't they?

Karl

PS: All canaries have two legs!

I really never expect any respect when I'm riding my LIKE.
Sitting perched up there on that blue & white single head-light scooter, with the additional 3 - 4" of seat stuffing, a hi vis jacket on and monster yellow helmet.

When I am on 'the road', sitting down in the twin head-lighted Burgman, wearing the black leather ICON with the 'POLICE" checked reflective hi vis vest and and police-checked helmet...It is a whole different story. Darn near every biker gives me a wave, arm, finger, salute, tosses me a cigarette thing. They mistake me for a motorcycle....as long as I'm not snapping pix of sunrises!

You guys on the 300 and 500's probably get respect, too.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scrollderf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 01:58:27 AM »
Yup, even the Harley boys give "the wave"when riding the Downtown. Looks like a mc from the front.
Formerly 03 AA500 now DT300

D1scouter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 02:13:17 AM »
I agree. I do not feel that I need the approval of those "manly men" who drive 4 x 4's or Harleys. I have nothing to prove. When any other rider passes I give respect, and laugh at those who don't return it because I'm riding a scooter. A few weeks back I was stopped at a red light, and a guy pulls up next to me on a brand new looking Harley trike. I looked over, and immediately he said "I like three wheels that way I don't fall over" I just chuckled because he felt that I would judge him. I just figure we are all enjoying our time on two wheels!
2009 Xciting 250

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 03:53:52 PM »
 The funny thing about this subject, is this is what got me first thinking about getting a scooter. I saw an older gentleman riding a Yamaha vino, or something similar. It was painted some funky color and had a big whip antenna on the back with a fake racoon tail at the top, a throw back to ancient times. I thought it looked silly. The look on his face, was of joy. He was having fun and didn't care what others thought. I realized at that moment that he nailed it.
 I have been laughed at openly for riding this little blue and white bike. ( mostly by women, surprisingly) I had a woman that was riding a big HD tell me that I was riding a little girls bike. I told her "yes, but she's not getting it back until I am through with it".
 The greatest compliment I received, was by a friend who would be too embarrassed to be caught dead on this thing. He said that he "didn't think he was man enough to ride that". I'm certain that he did not mean it to be a compliment.  We are definitely coming from a different point of view when riding little scooters.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 02:50:46 PM »
Last weekend on my trip, me on my DT 300i with a friend on his naked CBF 600, we stopped at a roadside stop to take a look at our GPS, (trying to find a hilltop with a better view of the area).
Another biker on a CBF 600S rode past us, then tuned around and came back. First I thought he turned back because of the other Honda, but no. He stopped next to us and complimented the Downtown. He was following us from behind and saw the scooter can keep up with the bigger bike. It felt really good.
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 05:43:56 PM »
You all have NAILED it: we are having FUN and are enjoying the journey. The old guy with the Vino, with whip antenna and foxtail probably is at the pinnacle of not having anything to prove. None of us feel like we have anything to prove. "Honey-do's" are more fun on a scooter!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 04:20:15 AM »
There is nothing to be embarrassed about when it comes to riding the scooters. I enjoy riding my Agility 125cc bike. In fact my bike has literally been everywhere here in Vegas. St. Paulie Girl( the name of my bike) went up to Mount Charleston here in Vegas in June. For the first 5,000 feet she did fine riding at 50mph. When my friend and I got up to 6,000 feet she slowed down to 30-35mph. We got up to the Mount Charleston Lodge and at 7,650 feet and she was easily doing 50mph.

For me, riding my bike is more fun than riding my car. Be proud of your bike and never try to worry about what others think of you on your blue and white bike. Courage is going out and having fun without worrying about what others think of you. Show them what you got Stig.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

Motorfoon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 03:30:36 PM »
If you need your vehicle to get pussy for you, You cant ride a motor scooter.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 03:42:50 PM »
just tuned 50 this week...and one of the joys about getting more 'mature' is that I've realized over a number of years that I don't give a flying fig what anyone else thinks of me..who cares?....too bad we can't all come to this realization much earlier in our lives

Stig - ride on and keep rocking that Big Bird look!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 08:09:30 PM »

I beg to differ.  ;D
Wayne

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 09:11:25 PM »

There are women in this forum. Thought you would like to know.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()