Author Topic: Starter Solenoid Experiences?  (Read 4112 times)

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
Starter Solenoid Experiences?
« on: July 20, 2009, 05:13:02 PM »
Reference earlier post by Urbestfriend regarding "Starter Dragging".  My next step was to check the started solenoid.
One thing I noticed was that engine started fine once it was warm.  Basically starter was only 10-15% effective when
engine was cold.   I have pulled the covers off and it's interesting that when I heated the solenoid with a heat
gun,  it went from just weakly spinning the starter motor by itself to actually trying to engage the bendix.  I will
be trying some of the voltage checks from the manual,  but I don't think they'll give me the information I really need.

So....The question is:  Has anyone had a bad Starter Solenoid on an Agility 50 before?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Starter Solenoid Experiences?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 01:37:38 PM »
..I'm going through the same thing right now...it just started day before yesterday...

..I thouhgt my battery was dead, so I put in on a charge...Battery is OK...

..Once my engine heats up, the starter will fire the engine..but will not from a "cold" start...

..one kick and I'm up and running...

..I'll be monitoring this thread for some ideas...lol...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 04:51:28 AM »
Heat in electronics increases conductivity allowing more amperage through any given circut Just replace both parts. You wont have to walk!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Hiriser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 05:00:19 PM »
Had a similar problem on my Roketa 50cc where it would only catch 10-15% of the time.  Replaced the solenoid and it works like a champ.  Odd thing I found is the Chinese/Taiwanese Service and Repair Manual I have doesn't point to it as being a problem or symptom of the starter not spinning or only periodically spinning.  Go figure.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 07:47:07 PM »
Now here you go...Urbestfriend received the solenoid,  installed it and put everything back together.
Same thing happened.  Charged the battery numerous times but the voltage always registered 12.0+
before and 13+ after.

Took the battery (Came with new bike new 15 months ago) to Interstate.   They said the battery
had no holding capacity.   Who would have guessed a new battery would go bad in such a short time ?

Again...Battery would charge to 13+ VDC and slowly,  but surely dip to 12+.  Hope I explained this
correctly.  I didn't respond because there were no replies until now.

Remember...You might say.."Why this bike has a 2 year warranty."   That's fine,  but the dealer is
an hour away,  so it would have cost as much for gas (2 round trips).  Just easier to fix it myself.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 08:21:28 PM »
Now here you go...Urbestfriend received the solenoid,  installed it and put everything back together.
Same thing happened.  Charged the battery numerous times but the voltage always registered 12.0+
before and 13+ after.

Took the battery (Came with new bike new 15 months ago) to Interstate.   They said the battery
had no holding capacity.   Who would have guessed a new battery would go bad in such a short time ?

Again...Battery would charge to 13+ VDC and slowly,  but surely dip to 12+.  Hope I explained this
correctly.  I didn't respond because there were no replies until now.

Remember...You might say.."Why this bike has a 2 year warranty."   That's fine,  but the dealer is
an hour away,  so it would have cost as much for gas (2 round trips).  Just easier to fix it myself.

...well, then...that might also explain why my headlamp goes dim now, when I apply my brake...

..my scooter is 18 months from new...

..U R mybestfriend....

peace

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()