Author Topic: Myroad few questions  (Read 2952 times)

PiotrKymco

• View Profile
Myroad few questions
« on: July 29, 2019, 01:57:28 PM »
Hi everyone
Previousoly I owned Burgman 650, SW600 and Burgman 400. All of them were very reliable scooters. Now I changed to Myroad 700i, just because I was curious what kind of scooter is that. It is used and first registration 2016 with only 9000km on odo.

Battery was not good enough and ABS warning light was on....repaired
Left handle stop switch (also needed to run the engine) malfunction....repaired

Now the issue that pissed me off: when cold must crank few time to start the engine, is that normal?

Sometimes when try to start the engine just wont start, (of cours kill switch and kick atand is ok) and only 2nd or 3rd try start and work flwaessly.
Any suggestion where to looking for problem, or maybe that is normal???

LAst case is windschield, the OEM is far to small but cant find larger one. I see Myroad on internet with high windshield but noone produce them (no GIVI or PUIG).

Thank for your help
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 03:16:54 PM by PiotrKymco »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Myroad few questions
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 06:20:53 PM »
I do not have a 700i but have had two Downtown 300i's, wife has a People with the same engine plus we have had a Yager 200i and a Like 200i and THEY ALL STARTED THE SAME: two revolutions and running if not before. The Like started the most rapidly. So there is a pattern of starting and yours, I conclude, should be the same. Now you must investigate. Compression test, check for induction leaks, vacuum leaks and timing. Valve clearances could be a big factor.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

PiotrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 07:35:19 PM »
Thanks. Fist will start with spark plug change with proper gape. Because that occur randomly I do not think it is valve clearance or compression. Induction leaks seamce very probably. Timing cant be with that mileage, I guess and would take under consideration as a last factor.
In 90% cases engine start up immediately just after touching starter button.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 08:23:07 PM »
I agree with what you said and your approach is correct.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

PiotrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 07:26:54 AM »
I replaed spark plugs but already before all day long start the engine immediately.
But unfortunately this morning when engine was completely cold ist start for second than dies and that repeated 3 times when starts for good. Than before warm up brakes from time to time like missing spark occassionally. Warming up  all ok.

Im thinking about crankcase sensor or lambda sensor but do n ot know if that may cose such problems. Chow to check it?

Previous owner had a little slide on left side so maybe that cosed some damage, but hard to believe.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 01:08:19 AM »
Honestly it sounds completely normal to me based on my 2014 which I bought new and currently have 24,000 miles (over 38,700 km equivalent) on. If the bike had been running it will restart quickly but after sitting a while or overnight it takes longer and may even start/stall once or twice. I never really thought about it as a couple of my Burgman 650s can be a bit finicky after sitting for a couple of weeks. Being a Jeep mechanic my first thought is whether or not fuel pressure bleed down or drain back might be the problem. If you want to test for that you can cycle the switch (ignition or run/kill) on for 5 seconds, off, and back on a couple of times before trying to start it. If it's fuel related doing this will shorten the time to start when cranking.

As far a windshields there was a post where I listed twould companies. Cee Bailey stopped making motorcycle windshields but here is a link to Gustafsson Plastics https://bikescreen.com/products/kymco-myroad-700i-c-2014 which I've posted up before.

Since new I've had the following repaired/replaced.

Right rear shock, stopped adjusting with the switch on the handle bars, replace under warranty
Rear shafts oil seal, clutch, bell, leaked oil into CVT causing belt/clutch slippage, replaced under warranty
Crank sensor, died when hot and wouldn't restart for 20 minutes, replaced under warranty
Under seat storage LED light, died and went dim or wouldn't work, replaced under warranty
Coolant temp switch, cooling fan would run with the key on with the bike cold, part replaced under warranty
Crank sensor died again, bike died and wouldn't restart until cold, I bought a new sensor and a backup to carry with me incase I need to change on the road.
Under seat light doesn't work sometimes and warning light doesn't turn on, on the dash, something in the right seat latch or switch is the problem but haven't done anything about it yet.
Cooling fan EMI filter, bike overheats when sitting still and running, I bought and am currently waiting for the part to arrive.
I also ordered a replacement drive belt as it may need one sometime soon.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 01:33:29 AM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 02:55:49 AM »
You can also turn the key on and see if the check engine light flashes out any codes. Short flashes, long flashes or a combination of the two.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

PiotrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 07:11:35 PM »
So I turn the ignition key and (downloading the file with code earlier,) found faulty codes, which was four short blinks. That shows that ECU is having some kind of problem with giving signal.
So I dig a bit and get to ECU. Funny is that the connectors are full of grease to prevent the air acces and corrosion..I guess. I took out excessive amount of that grease and moved conectors few times.
Faulty codes dissapeared and all works as it should but will wait till tommorow morning to see the cold start.
Anyway I did not found any any exact reason of malfunction, and the only thing that commes to my mind is that connectors were giving wrong connections.

PiotrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 12:04:18 PM »
So in the morning nothing been changed, had to start twice to run the engine. But I figure out that little accelration on cold engine helps. But engine do not brake ignition while cold and during the day starts immediately.
So I thing that is how it is with Myroad after nite standing and get use to it.

Definitely some bad connection coused other symptoms and now is ok.

Now will focus on frond shield to get it somewhere in Europe...hard task. If someone has any idea about that please share.

PiotrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 09:31:16 AM »
So, after 1200km the situation does not changed, morning is usually gettin twice to start up the engine and sometimes when warmed it is neccessary to crank few seconds. Otherwise start up immediately when push the star button.
When do not start up immediatelly engine warning light blink twice which shows crank position sensor. Is that possible that sensor is usually working in 95% without problem and gettin some failure only occassionaly? Also morning start up is on cold engine so should be better according the othe post with CPS.
Need some opinion from you guys.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 01:58:53 PM »
My experience has been the crank sensor fails when hot and the engine dies. With other vehicles a cold crank sensor issue has been a poor connection problem (light corrosion on contact/terminals). I would check the connector for the crank sensor and cam sensor. Sometimes just unplugging and reconnecting a connector can scrap off light corrosion.

Have you tried cycling the key a few times to let the fuel system prime before starting it cold to see if it's any different?
'14 White MyRoad 700i

PiotrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 10:59:02 AM »
Yes, I tried the fuel system works for 2-3 times before morning start up and  no diffrence.
Checked also terminal connection , disconnect them and connect again (no rust or any other sign of contamination), and looks ok. So far no diffrence at all.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()