Author Topic: strange odour on new People S 50 4T  (Read 2090 times)

slandi

• View Profile
strange odour on new People S 50 4T
« on: November 14, 2010, 04:54:34 PM »
Hi Folks, well I'm happy to report that I got my People S 50 4T a few days ago and I just love it! I've noticed however that after riding it for about 20-30 minutes there is a rather strong odour that smells a bit like overheated plastic. I was wondering if this might just be normal and the smell will go away or if perhaps it's an indication that the clutch is burning or something. I'm keeping the speed and acceleration down as I as told by the dealer. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and ask them as I'm a bit worried, but before I do I just wanted to bounce it off the people in the forum.

Thanks,

Stefano
stefano@slandi.net

juice

• View Profile
Re: strange odour on new People S 50 4T
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 05:30:49 PM »
It's kind of hard to say . The exhaust paint and/or some lubricants could take a few miles to season . I think you are correct to alert the dealer , I would even document your concerns in an e-mail maybe and request confirmation for your records . Good luck and enjoy your new scoot !

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 05:37:01 PM »
This is topic #150 on this forum about smell of new scoots.
It is normal, forget it.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 06:30:19 PM »
Of coarse Axy is correct as always , but how much effort does it take to document your concern in case the unimaginable happens and you have a legitimate problem . Again , good luck .

slandi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 06:35:13 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow morning just to ask them the same question and see what they say and just make sure they know about my concerns. I feel kind of silly as I should have searched for the term "Smell" in the forums, guess I was just being a little paranoid with my new baby :))
It only has 20 miles on it, so I've got many hundreds of miles to go with that smell :) I'll just leave it outside for 10 minutes or so before bringing it into the garage.

Thanks again guys, it's going to be great reading and hopefully one day helpfully contributing to the forum.

regards,

Stefano

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 06:37:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Stefano, and congrats on that new People!!

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 07:24:16 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow morning just to ask them the same question and see what they say and just make sure they know about my concerns. I feel kind of silly as I should have searched for the term "Smell" in the forums, guess I was just being a little paranoid with my new baby :))
It only has 20 miles on it, so I've got many hundreds of miles to go with that smell :) I'll just leave it outside for 10 minutes or so before bringing it into the garage.

Thanks again guys, it's going to be great reading and hopefully one day helpfully contributing to the forum.

regards,

Stefano

Is this your Tomos? http://www.slandi.net/?p=95 :)

Btw. Stefano sounds Italian, but I see you live in Canada?
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

slandi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 09:05:31 PM »
Hi Axy,

Yes indeed that is my Tomos, for the moment I'm keeping it as my wife has shown interest in maybe riding it. You're right about the Italian heritage as well, born there back in '64 and my family moved to Montreal in '66. OK enough said as this is rather off topic. However, I decided to buy the People as I found the Tomos too small for me and my 6 foot 200 lb frame. I looked for a long time for a more size-appropriate scooter and considered a bunch of Chinese-built machines as well. I didn't want a Yamaha BWs as there are too many of them and they are very much associated with the younger crowd. The Vespas are near and dear to my heart, but are way over-priced in my view. I finally decided on the People after reading some reviews, watching a bunch of Youtube videos, reading many of the postings on this forum and finally, what clinched it was listening to the "Just Gotta Scoot" podcast. David Harrington, host of the podcast is very knowledgeable and had rave reviews on Kymco, so I finally made my decision. It's going to be a long long Winter for me as I can't wait for the Spring/Summer/Fall riding season. Legally I can still ride until December 15th here in Montreal, after that whether or not there is snow on the ground, you need Winter tires otherwise you can't drive, which means all motorcycles are off limits. That's OK, March 15th is the first day they let cars/motorcycles back on the road with Summer/4 season tires, so hopefully if the snow has abated by then, I'll be able to get back on the People. OK, I've rambled enough :))

Is this your Tomos? http://www.slandi.net/?p=95 :)

Btw. Stefano sounds Italian, but I see you live in Canada?

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 10:27:24 PM »
Hi Axy,

Yes indeed that is my Tomos, for the moment I'm keeping it as my wife has shown interest in maybe riding it. You're right about the Italian heritage as well, born there back in '64 and my family moved to Montreal in '66. OK enough said as this is rather off topic.

I live 80 kms away from Tomos factory.   ;D
All postmen in my country have been driving Tomos mopeds as delivery bikes, and it has been like that for the past 60 years. :)

http://urednik.slobodnadalmacija.hr/DesktopModules/DnnForge - NewsArticles/ImageHandler.ashx?Width=468&Height=468&HomeDirectory=/Portals/0/Images/2010-05-19/Novosti&FileName=SNIJEG_POSTAR-141209.jpg&q=1

Considering that we have a number of small states in Europe, it happens to be in another country.

Sono davvero contento di averti conosciuto.  ;) Forse questo ti interessa - sono dipendente della ditta Italiana.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 10:29:28 PM by axy »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

spidrgr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 06:21:53 PM »
Hey slandi, dont worry about the smell. I think it mostly comes from the new belt and also maybe from the centrifugal clutch shoes. I too live near Montreal! cool, no?

Do your breaking in then go to your dealer, he should be able to unrestrict your CDI unit. Did it on mine and gained about 10 kmh on the speedo...68 vs 58 kmh. Then change your rollers. I changed mine, from 7gr to 6gr. Same top speed, but better pick up and better speeds up hills. I too am 6ft tall and about 200 lbs., so your results shoulb be the same.

I just stored mine. Got it in august and got about 1500km on the odo until stored 2 weeks ago. Remember to pour fuel stabiliser in the tank before storing. Those small carburetors are usually very sensitive to bad gas at the end of winter, Also, a battery tender is a good idea. I installed one, a Yuasa, on mine. Nice setup with a 0.9 amp/h charging capacity and a ''floating'' capacity once the battery is fully charged. You should find it easy in the 40-50$ cdn range at motorcycle dealers. Once installed, the whole wiring can stay there. I have used it for 5 winters now on my Suzuki DL 650 and it still has its original battery in perfect shape. Te DL has 50 000 km on the odo.

Have fun with your new toy. Although I bought mine for my wife, I find I get to use it very often for running errands. Fun and easy way to save fuel and parking time.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()