Author Topic: 450i Larger tires  (Read 1538 times)

Coach

• View Profile
450i Larger tires
« on: February 08, 2019, 12:16:31 AM »
After 3 1/2 years I need to change tires on the SXS. Can I go to 26 x 8.00 x 12 on the front and
26 x 10.00 x 12 on the rear. Will this affect my transmission or clutch in any way? Thanks in advance
for the help.
Retired outdoor bum!
I like it too!

airshot

• View Profile
Re: 450i Larger tires
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 01:32:17 AM »
By going to a larger tire dia you are in effect changing thedrive gear ratio. I plan on doing the same thing when I replace my tires. The low end grunt could be affected, but talking to others with 450 midels it appears to be very minium. If you go to a heavier tire it can have that same effect. I would not go bigger than a 1 inch larger size and you should be fine. Find out if the bigger tires are a lot heavier than the originals as this could double the issue

Coach

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 02:49:50 AM »
Thanks, air shot for the info. I thought for awhile no one was going to
Offer any advice. I was just thinking of buying the same brand of tire just 1 inch larger.
Do you recommend any particular tire? My cart is used for shooting sporting clays and back and forth to the deer stands, almost never on pavement. Thanks again for the advice.
Retired outdoor bum!
I like it too!

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 04:37:07 PM »
I have just started looking at tires myself, no real idea which will be beat. Honestly the stock tires have worked really well, have no complaints,  Lots of people I know have been buying import brand tires with good reviews so far, but only time will tell. The Maxxis tires mine came with have never let me down but are showing wear from running on pavement.  I can ride on the back roads where I live so I get lots of pavement time.

Coach

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 04:30:16 PM »
Mine came with Maxxis tires also. With over three years and over 1000 miles they have never let me down. My hunt camp is in South Georgia where the red clay/mud is king. I have been through some real slop and never once even thought I was going to get stuck. She’s a beast even in 2 wheel drive. I’ve never even locked the differential on it. I’m kinda leaning toward the Maxxis Tire’s just 1 inch larger. I appreciate your input, have a great day!

Retired outdoor bum!
I like it too!

SuperHeliDave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 07:09:56 PM »
I went 1 size larger, not a real loss in the low end, only difference was the high gear roll off on a slight incline. I chose Sun co aggressive tires, Been a lot of mud here in KY lately... They are great, and the ride is smooth..  Only pic I had on my phone at the moment, sorry for the Antler shot....
It can always be climbed.....

Coach

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 08:40:15 PM »
Got a great deal from Rocky Mountain ATV on some Kendra Bear Claws ,6 ply. Went with 26x9x12 up front and 26x11x12 on the rear. I was going to also raise it with moving the shock bolts but just the tires made such a difference, I’m not even going to mess with it. I’m not a hot rod so I don’t know if I lost ant top end or not. I’m sure it will be as good or better in the mud as the original Maxxis tire were so I’m good to go. Four tires for less than $350 and son in law mounted for free! Lol
I’m a “happy camper” !
Retired outdoor bum!
I like it too!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()