Author Topic: Portable scooter shelters, garage, shop  (Read 730 times)

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
Portable scooter shelters, garage, shop
« on: April 16, 2017, 02:04:28 PM »
Has anyone had any experience or known anyone who has purchased a portable fabric type garage, shop, bike shelter. Looking at a Rhino brand which is one of the heaviest weight covers in the industry and probably has a 10 years cover life. This model is 14x30x12' high. Need to replace my deteriorated Bike Barn for both my scooters and provide storage for my canoes and other things for my construction business. Shelter Logic makes one too that appears to have a shorter cover life that one can buy at Tractor Supply. They're not cheap as the model I'm looking at is about 1500.00 shipped but compared to a permanent metal bldg, much much cheaper. Any thoughts?
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
Re: Portable scooter shelters, garage, shop
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 02:07:08 PM »
Has anyone had any experience or known anyone who has purchased a portable fabric type garage, shop, bike shelter. Looking at a Rhino brand which is one of the heaviest weight covers in the industry and probably has a 10 years cover life. This model is 14x30x12' high. Need to replace my deteriorated Bike Barn for both my scooters and provide storage for my canoes and other things for my construction business. Shelter Logic makes one too that appears to have a shorter cover life that one can buy at Tractor Supply. They're not cheap as the model I'm looking at is about 1500.00 shipped but compared to a permanent metal bldg, much much cheaper. Any thoughts?
Here's the one I'm looking at.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 02:35:51 PM »
Speaking as a Minnesota expat. I am not real fond of soft roofs anyplace it snows.
Depends on what kind of hassle you get from your local constabulary in terms of licences to put up a more solid structure of course, so the potential for chaos could well outweigh the hassle, but I do prefer to overbuild than underbuild and rue it.

2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 02:40:24 PM »
Speaking as a Minnesota expat. I am not real fond of soft roofs anyplace it snows.
Depends on what kind of hassle you get from your local constabulary in terms of licences to put up a more solid structure of course, so the potential for chaos could well outweigh the hassle, but I do prefer to overbuild than underbuild and rue it.

Never snows here and the few times it has over the years we got only a light dusting. The rounded top also does much better shedding snow and water than the traditional gable style roof.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 02:59:27 PM »
I have a 12 x 20 x 8  gable roof shelter logic ,  life here in Canada is 2 years,  snow to heavy, rips over the ribs,  and summer time the sun eats the fabric,  there is a heavy duty cover available, very pricey $$$$   

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 03:11:09 PM »
Not sure what the cover difference is between Rhino and Shelter Logic. Another manufacturer is Cover Tech from Canada with perhaps the heaviest cover in the industry and pretty expensive too. Sun is our nemesis here in Texas, not the snow. What's that?

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 11:17:09 AM »
Not sure what the cover difference is between Rhino and Shelter Logic. Another manufacturer is Cover Tech from Canada with perhaps the heaviest cover in the industry and pretty expensive too. Sun is our nemesis here in Texas, not the snow. What's that?
Texas would be different. (ya didn't say that in your first post just a pic of a snow covered shelter :P)
In TX I'd be more concerned about sun rot on nylon or other plastics.  The ability to cool it if necessary, &  possibly the impact of high winds on a what is essentially a really big kite.
If it's in a sheltered spot and properly attached to the ground probably not a huge issue.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 12:19:08 PM »
Texas would be different. (ya didn't say that in your first post just a pic of a snow covered shelter :P)
In TX I'd be more concerned about sun rot on nylon or other plastics.  The ability to cool it if necessary, &  possibly the impact of high winds on a what is essentially a really big kite.
If it's in a sheltered spot and properly attached to the ground probably not a huge issue.

We'll, I ran this by my family yesterday and they don't like it and want me to build a permanent shop/storage building with a concrete slab. I'm just overwhelmed with the cost of such a structure??

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 02:43:50 PM »
What size would you build,   mine is 26 Ft. x 26 ft.  x 10 ft. to the rafters,    if I were to do it again it would be 36 ft x 40 ft.   minimum,.   and don't forget the steel straps for the wind ,     and I covered the walls with 2" foam for the cold ,  yours for the heat,   OS board ,  2" foam and Os board over the foam  and vynal  siding finish, good luck with the project, de dee

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 04:27:53 PM »
Here's a possibility. Saw this on YouTube:

2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 12:37:49 PM »
Here's a possibility. Saw this on YouTube:

That one is just like my Bike Barn, an accordion fabric bike shelter. I have the biggest one made for a Smart Car or trike. The covers though only last about 3 years and they cost about 500 bucks. Thanks though as the design is very cool and I can fit both scooters in it. I've decided to build a permanent structure and will build what I can afford. It may only be a 12x20 or 24 for now but I'm designing it to be added onto.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 02:54:30 PM »
The old adage, You get what you pay for, applies here. While a permanent structure would call for a larger investment,  it would pay for itself, over time, in good protection , comfort and security. A pole barn on a slab initially,  with sides, windows and doors to come as money permitted. It's your call, but could just be that the family is right this time. Just my thoughts.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()