Author Topic: Scooter Tool Kit  (Read 4154 times)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Scooter Tool Kit
« on: January 03, 2011, 05:27:30 PM »
I recently bought my first scooter, a Super 8 150.  Like most motorcycles, the stock toolkit doesn't have much in it.  One of the first things I did was put together a toolkit with a few more things in it.  I mostly used the tools from the stock toolkit and added some stuff I had laying around.  It's not a finished product.  I will be adding or changing some things.  My goal is to have the proper tools to be able to handle some common roadside emergencies, I'm not planning to ride through the Darien Gap or anything.  Here's a pic of what I have so far:

The stuff in the baggie is a couple of CO2 cartridges wrapped in a rag.

I still need to get some spare fuses, a tire pressure guage and a small first aid kit.  Some other things I may get:
Needle nose pliers
Adjustable wrench
Duct tape
A different bag

Any one have any other suggestions.  

If you have put together a tool kit, this would be a good thread to post what you have.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

axy

• View Profile
Re: Scooter Tool Kit
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 05:58:31 PM »
This is a good idea. The problem is that in most cases, when something goes very wrong, you need tools that are not handy/cannot be easily carried, or it is not convenient to do the repair "by the side of the road". I think that your tiny kit is more suitable to have at hand during longer trips, than in urban areas.

For example, I use scoots primarily in 20-25 km radius around my house and tools are not a problem...

Btw. what are CO2 cartridges for?
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 06:32:56 PM »
Probably the most common, and most easily fixed problem you will have is a flat tire.  The CO2 inflater and spare CO2 cartridges are to inflate the tire.  You also need some thing to pull out whatever caused the flat.  Without some sort of pliers, getting out a nail or especially a screw can be difficult.  Last you need something to plug the hole.  I prefer the sticky strings over plugs.  I don't want to have to call a tow truck over something I can fix myself. 

I carry much more extensive tool kits on my dual sport bikes.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
One of the leatherman type multi-tools might come in handy . Good luck .

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 08:29:13 PM »
I my self carry enough tools that I can take the drive belt off and the clutch if I have to.
ya just never know. and for a flat tire I have used the green slime befor it works good and cleans up good. I keep extra plugs and a battery around if I need it if I know Im going on a long ride for the day I think ahead of time and throw in extra light and what ever I can think of.besides for long rides I ride with someone and they may need it to.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 11:29:16 PM »
The CO2 inflater and spare CO2 cartridges are to inflate the tire. 

Isn't it better to have that special spray that contains both propellant and glue that plugs the hole? I have two cans and carry them if I go for a longer ride.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 03:07:02 AM »
It's hard to tell, but my vice grips are actually a multi tool. 

Tools to remove the clutch and belt are useless without the knowledge of how to use them.  Once I aquire that knowledge, i may add them to the tool kit, especially if I ever got for an extended tour.

As for propellent with glue, you are probably refering to fix-a-flat.  That stuff leaves a mess.  The shop that changes your tire will probably charge extra to clean it up.  I prefer to actually plug the hole using a sticky string.  I have repaired several car tires using the sticky strings and never had a repair fail.  On scooter and motorcycle tires, repairs are supposed to be temporary - just to get you home.  I once had tire on a full dress touring bike rerpaired using a sticky string.  It went another 14,000 miles with that repair until the tire wore out and I replaced it.  Using slime is another option.  It's not as messy but you need to have a valve core tool (there is one in my tool kit) and a means to inflate the tire.  Some people just run the slime in their tires as a way to prevent a flat.  The problem with this is that you may never notice a nail in your tire unless you inspect it carefully.  I prefer not to do this but it is an option.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 10:51:52 PM »
no not fix aflat yes it does make a mess .there is some stuff called slime its green and it washes off nicely its better for those that can do there own tires.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 11:22:59 PM »
Slime is one way to temporarily fix a flat.  If you carry a can of slime you also need a valve core tool and a way to inflate the tire.  I would not rely on the plastic valve core tool that comes on the bottle of slime.  Plugging the tire is nearly as easy.  The bottom line is that flat tires are not that rare and having a way to fix the tire and get home makes sense. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()