Author Topic: pre-running the 2023 scooter cannonball  (Read 622 times)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
pre-running the 2023 scooter cannonball
« on: March 22, 2023, 02:06:06 PM »
I have a friend who is planning on riding the scooter cannonball this year.  This will be her fourth cannonball.  She decided to pre ride most of day seven and all of day 8 on her way to a scooter rally in Jacksonville, Fl.  I joined her yesterday for part of that ride.

On my way to meet her I stopped and grabbed the ADV scooter tag.

I stopped and took a pic for the new tag but didn't post it because there was no cell signal.

I got to the meeting spot early so i continued up the road she would be coming down.  I stopped to take some more pics.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: pre-running the 2023 scooter cannonball
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 02:12:05 PM »
We met going in opposite directions on a country road near the TN/AL line.  I did a U turn and fell in behind her.

Cheryl just got her new Vespa GTS a few weeks ago so this was a shakedown cruise.

The ride the previous day was really cold so she had some hippo hands over the bars.  She decided to remove them as well as sort out some issues with her electronics.  She was running 2 GPS's and also had a Sena on her helmet that had a camera in it.  It kept turning off.  Later she discovered the plug had com of and it wasn't charging .

There are a few curves on this route.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 02:42:10 PM »
We stopped to check out the world famous Rock Zoo.

Cheryl's Vespa was moving along very well on these mostly deserted back roads.

The route took us on a 65 MPH four lane. 

My speedo was reading 85 MPH.  Cheryl said her GPS showed an actual 82.  Not bad for a small scooter with 12" wheels that isn't even fully broken in yet.

Crossing the Tennessee River.

Uphill sweepers.

My 395cc Majesty has a bit more top end that the 278cc Vespa but I think the Vespa is quicker at most speeds.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 05:00:18 PM »
Two nice scooters.
Esp like your Majesty!

BTW: possible to shrink your pics a bit - I have to go to 80>90% screen to see them  - or maybe it's just my Dell?
For easy viewing of written word I run the screen at 150% - so really have to shrink things to see your photos.
On my Samsung phone I see maybe 30% of your photo image.
Stig
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 05:10:45 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 06:40:43 PM »
Two nice scooters.
Esp like your Majesty!

BTW: possible to shrink your pics a bit - I have to go to 80>90% screen to see them  - or maybe it's just my Dell?
For easy viewing of written word I run the screen at 150% - so really have to shrink things to see your photos.
On my Samsung phone I see maybe 30% of your photo image.
Stig

My Majesty is a 2012 that I bought new in 2015.  I now have over 30,000 miles on it.  It has been trouble free......until this ride.  That is coming up.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 06:53:57 PM »
We stopped for gas.  I didn't need any as my majesty has a 3.7 Gallon tank but the Vespa has a smaller tank. 

This rural gas station had only ethanol free gas.  Cheryl topped off with corn free premium.  One think I don't like about Vespas is that they call for premium gas.

More riding.

I took the lead for a bit and got a shot looking back.

We stopped for a late lunch in Summerville, Georgia.  While we were eating some came in and mentioned that the power was still on on one of the "mopeds".  The Vespa had a complicated new fangled high tech key fob system and its easy to leave the power on.  It was sitting there with a blinker flashing.

After lunch I went out to take a pic and ....."oh crap!!"

The battery cover was missing.  I had just replaced the OEM battery which was nearly 8 years old.  The fairing that cover the battery has a really crappy retention system that uses two little plastic pins.   I have read that other majesty owners have had problems with that cover.

I retraced my route back to the last gas station where I knew the cover was still on.  I didn't find it but I did stop and get a few more pics.

I have a thing for bridges so I made a slight detour for this next pic.

Crossing the bridge.

I know I am getting close to home when I see the big Saturn V rocket next to the highway.

I ended up riding 278 miles for the day.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 01:04:54 PM »
BTW: no Vespa requires "premium" (93) octane.
All manuals state 91. (this per Vespa forum)....and a lot of owners are running fine on 89....but 91 is advised.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 03:29:39 PM »
Great photos as always Klav!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 11:02:12 PM »
BTW: no Vespa requires "premium" (93) octane.
All manuals state 91. (this per Vespa forum)....and a lot of owners are running fine on 89....but 91 is advised.

Stig

Most modern engines that call for higher octane will run OK on lower octane gas but they often won't run as well.  My Aprilia Sport City 250 called for 90 Octane.  It used the same motor as the Vespa 250s of that time.  Over the years I have seen "premium" at gas stations vary from 91 to 93 octane.  On the Aprilia if I had filled up with 93 and burned less than half a tank I would sometimes top off with 87 and never had any issues.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2023, 01:20:30 PM »
"...mostly deserted back roads."  What I dream about.

Both the Cali and BV350 specify premium (91 or higher).  I use 93 since 91 is uncommon.  Only 20ยข more anyway.
Curious to fill a jerrycan of half 89 and half 93 to see if there's a difference in performance or mpg.
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()