Author Topic: Former KYMCO USA Technician  (Read 4570 times)

LousyTech

• View Profile
Former KYMCO USA Technician
« on: October 01, 2020, 06:36:56 AM »
Hello KYMCO enthusiast and general owners,

As the title states, I am a former KYMCO USA technician.
I wanted to join this forum and offer technical advice on issues with KYMCO units.
Not because I am not longer with them, but due to the fact that I care about this community.
I WILL NOT engage in gossip, slander, or commit libel against KYMCO USA.
I will however clarify (EMPHASIS) that I am not a disgruntled employee that was fired.

I resigned.......

SEARCH GOOGLE FOR LATEST KYMCO USA EMPLOYEE GLASSDOOR AND INDEED REVIEWS
REMEMBER THE PRESS RELEASE OF CFO JEREMY LAWRENCE? HE RESIGNED.
TURNOVER IS ABOVE 90%

A little about me:

I grew up in the BMW Manufacturing sector as an Quality Engineer.
I have successfully qualified 15 programs and managed a safety recall due to a suspension-control component.
This "RECALL" management experience, was rather impressive to KYMCO, due to an UPCOMING recall on the Like 150i for ABS issues.

More on this later.....

Before joining the automotive plant world, I grew up with a wrench in my left hand, and a Hayne's manual in the right.
My grandfather was an engine builder for the drag racing crowd.
"Daniel Built" became a factor when pre-race bets were made.

At such a young age;

Once you...

1: Smell a fuel rich exhaust after a dramatic acoustic display
2: Feel the heat from burnt rubber...

you become an addict.

I also remember witnessing my grandfather, show examples of humanity, that has modeled me into the person I am today.
During my grandfathers young life of 70 years, he repaired every church members car FREE of charge while it was in his shop.
True to his character, Danny lent out vehicles to his extended family, while their car was in the shop awaiting repair completion.

My first job ever was that of an ECU Tuner at a local performance shop in Spartanburg, SC.
NISTUNE is my second language  8) Hondata, ehhh its ok but the latency sucks. Piggyback route? MegaSquirt of course  ;D

Anyhow, I know my way around engines, forced induction, powertrains, and how to burn rubber.
Most importantly, I know how to fix them.
Fast/Cheap/Reliable, pick two, and you've found your problem.

If any member on this forum is in need of technical/repair/parts help regarding their KYMCO unit, feel free to reach out to me.
Its not a secret that you have to " contact an authorized KYMCO dealer to order parts".
However, there is a small aftermarket of dealers who offer web based ordering from their stock.

Closing,

If you were to ask me "should I purchase a KYMCO unit?"

The answer would be yes....

Only if:

1:You can accept a lack of aftermarket support

2: Deal with a costumer service program that forwards you to a mailbox or recommendation to call a dealer

3: Being told to drive your "under recall" unit to a dealer when the brake system is potentially unsafe

4: Waiting 3 months or more for parts.

5: You can deal with the fact that KYMCO sent the dealer wrong parts after being told the parts received was a 4 month backlog order.....

Then buy a KYMCO..........
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 12:43:17 PM by Stig / Major Tom »

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Former KYMCO USA Technician
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 07:05:42 AM »
Welcome  aboard, I'm sure you have the knowledge to help individuals with issues. 
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 11:00:38 AM »
Do you have experience working on Kymco UXV 500i machines?

If so please let me know.   I have a fuel tank sender float that does not display the gas gauge on the LED Console display.

dan v.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 12:49:27 PM »
Thanks for joining us. 

I know the frustration of working with a once respected company that had great products but very poor support from the management in its final years (a century old company, now just a memory, even though the industry is still doing well).

I have a 2004 Bet & Win 250, and a 2004 Super 9, both great scoots.  Hard to get parts for nowadays, which may just leave me with inop bikes for some time - if parts can be even sourced anymore.

Hopefully you can help some of the folks on here that need parts and service.

Any insight on where to order parts from other than the US?
05 Super 9, 06 Best & Win, and a fleet of other scoots.....
Grand Rapids, MI

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 02:02:02 PM »
Dear Lousy Tech,

First, WELCOME to the nut farm! This is a merry band of enthusiasts, iconoclasts, youngsters and ancient ones spring-loaded to help or gripe, talented, gifted or just persistent riders and fixers that have discovered a brand worthy and people worthy of being friends. You are now among friends!

Your artistic ability with a brush of words on this communication canvas has convinced me you are the real deal and a great loss to your previous employer. While your previous employer will never realize until too late your absence, his loss is our gain!

Everyone is concerned about parts availability. The great thing about this brand is very few parts are required! There are sources highlighted and kept current by our fearless and fine moderator, Stig from Ohio.

I have been the one the forum has to dump an ice bucket on occasionally because of my distrust of dealers and their techs. Every so often someone will point out a really good dealer and even a good tech and we all rejoice for the one or two who live near them. Most of the good troubleshooting is found here, on this forum. The joy is in reading that someones suggestion worked!

I hope you have found this bunch to be more than satisfactory and that you enjoy chiming in. You can become quite busy here! Again, welcome!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

LousyTech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 02:33:37 PM »
Do you have experience working on Kymco UXV 500i machines?

If so please let me know.   I have a fuel tank sender float that does not display the gas gauge on the LED Console display.

Check the sender rail for rust/swing arm aperture . This part is very sensitive to moisture.
I have seen alot of these parts contaminated with rust.
The UXV 450 owners should experience this as well since the fuel units are basically the same.

LousyTech

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 02:38:21 PM »
Thanks for joining us. 

I know the frustration of working with a once respected company that had great products but very poor support from the management in its final years (a century old company, now just a memory, even though the industry is still doing well).

I have a 2004 Bet & Win 250, and a 2004 Super 9, both great scoots.  Hard to get parts for nowadays, which may just leave me with inop bikes for some time - if parts can be even sourced anymore.

Hopefully you can help some of the folks on here that need parts and service.

Hello there.
unfortunately, I have not found a good/steady alternative parts source.
All parts are sent against an PF order.
Not unless someone ordered a mass amount of stock, all parts are fulfilled through e-parts.
The leadtime on these parts suck because they are coming from Taiwan.

Alot of customer have informed me that this site: http://kymco-parts.eu/ seem to be able to get parts quicker than KYMCO USA can provide.

Halls Motorsport is a great dealer that I would recommend.
They order a lot of parts to have on hand.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 03:12:15 PM by LousyTech »

LousyTech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 03:14:27 PM »
Dear Lousy Tech,

First, WELCOME to the nut farm! This is a merry band of enthusiasts, iconoclasts, youngsters and ancient ones spring-loaded to help or gripe, talented, gifted or just persistent riders and fixers that have discovered a brand worthy and people worthy of being friends. You are now among friends!

Your artistic ability with a brush of words on this communication canvas has convinced me you are the real deal and a great loss to your previous employer. While your previous employer will never realize until too late your absence, his loss is our gain!

Everyone is concerned about parts availability. The great thing about this brand is very few parts are required! There are sources highlighted and kept current by our fearless and fine moderator, Stig from Ohio.

I have been the one the forum has to dump an ice bucket on occasionally because of my distrust of dealers and their techs. Every so often someone will point out a really good dealer and even a good tech and we all rejoice for the one or two who live near them. Most of the good troubleshooting is found here, on this forum. The joy is in reading that someones suggestion worked!

I hope you have found this bunch to be more than satisfactory and that you enjoy chiming in. You can become quite busy here! Again, welcome!

That you for the warm greetings!

I will do everything I can to led you guys towards parts.

It’s really disappointing that KYMCO does not order more parts for stock, especially parts that fail frequently. I have seen 3 month long backorders for fuel pumps just as an example.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 03:40:06 PM »
Hi LousyTech, I am glad you are here !
I almost welcomed you but I am not an American citizen - so I feel a bit uncomfortable to welcome you !
Anyway, I am the owner of an Agility 125 and I still have a few questions. My first question would be - what is the “normal”  Voltage reading at the battery on an Agility 125 suppose to be on a brand new Agility, with brand new, genuine Kymco voltage Regulator in place ?

Thanks, I will highly appreciate a reply !
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 04:08:21 PM »
Hello and welcome, so far I have had good luck with parts purchases due to a couple of Oregon dealers that WANT to sell and service the product.  ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 04:14:34 PM »
Hi LousyTech, I am glad you are here !
I almost welcomed you but I am not an American citizen - so I feel a bit uncomfortable to welcome you !
Anyway, I am the owner of an Agility 125 and I still have a few questions. My first question would be - what is the “normal”  Voltage reading at the battery on an Agility 125 suppose to be on a brand new Agility, with brand new, genuine Kymco voltage Regulator in place ?

Thanks, I will highly appreciate a reply !
Lousy Tech, Scooterfan is one of our resident forum techs from South Africa and is a valued source here. He has added a great deal of insight to the tech side of this gathering of nuts!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 04:37:45 PM »
Is your name Cody?

SemperVee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 04:46:44 PM »
  Hello LousyTech from Seattle.   Yup,  What Karl "aka Crossbolt" said!!   Great to have you aboard.   Your story growing up with a wrench in one hand is much like many of us who have had to transition to the digital age and multi electronics mis understanding.  :^)
2018 Kymco Spade 150
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2011 Kymco i300 DT (sold)
Many miles and smiles over 47 years of MC riding.
USMC Airwing Retired in Seattle WA

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 01:56:54 PM »
LT,

Can't thank you enough for your followup and much appreciate you have found us as an added knowledge source. 

Back to my fuel sender float post .  As you may know the floater arm is snap locked / attached to the side of the EFI pump.  Originally the gauge would display but only read 1/4 tank of gas.  When I remove the floater arm from eh side of the fuel pump I did not disconnect any wires. There was enough wire to stay attached to the pump.  I removed the floater switch arm to manipulate.  I did notice there was a catch/sticking action. in the floater arm  I lubricated lightly with gun oil and the arm worked much more freely.  I noticed that the fuel gauge displayed full tank this time probably because it was raised out of the tank so it did displayed thinking I resolved the issue.  Also, upon inspection of the wired (I think red or pink) there looked like slits in the wire coating.   Didn't think much of it.  Was excited the display looked to be fixed.  However, when I put back in the tank and snap connect back on the fuel pump side  the gauge display disappeared.  if I took the fuel end our it out would display.   Just wanted you to know my journey. 

I'll follow up with you original reply but wanted to share my first attempt to fix the stuck fuel floater arm.  Thanks again!

Check the sender rail for rust/swing arm aperture . This part is very sensitive to moisture.
I have seen alot of these parts contaminated with rust.
The UXV 450 owners should experience this as well since the fuel units are basically the same.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 02:25:33 PM »
II find this entry interesting.  My experience with Kymco USA has been ok....my bike is 2019 XTown 300i--- deal only Kymco  Dealer and shop----so far parts service has been great, one drive belt, right hand throttle grip, windshield spacers, exhaust pipe packing (gasket). 

Having been daily rider since 1955, over 1.5 million miles, over 400,000 of that on rubber band drive scooter.  My XTown is my 11th new rubber band drive scooter, 9 bought in US (Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha), 1 in  Korea (Daelim, nice bike, great dealer net), 1 new in Japan, Fusion in that market Helix in US----in both Japan and Korea bikes/scooters are used in business--therefore parts/service great.

In US, scooters are purchased by cheap, old farts and really in most cases they do not ride much or go anywhere---trailer bikers abound! Importers/distributors/Dealers (in some cases) and not run by daily riders, period.....makes a difference to me when I am spending my money!.

After market parts usually do not fit so well.   Buy old junk (even low miles) parts can be problem.

My total take on my Kymco=priced right, easier to work on than the Japanese in some cases, does not seem to break, EXtown 300i is really stretched 250!, Tire sensitive, can be fairly comfortable with Puig Touring screen, not many dealers, Givi E-46 box can be bolted directly to rear wing.  Virus has cut my riding this year.   At 81 I may have to consider smaller bike/scooter in the future...but not there yet.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()