Author Topic: Road Trip  (Read 3113 times)

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
Re: Road Trip
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 02:35:12 AM »
I think the problem you have is very, very simple:  a bad balance, and possibly on both wheels.  As you put more miles on the tires the balance gets worse, which matches your description.  Have at least your front tire balanced, if the rear tire is fairly new/good, than have it balanced too, otherwise wait to the next tire change.  Make sure the guys KNOW what they are doing on balancing.  Tell them you want a "perfect static balance".

One of my businesses is a wheel repair business and I see a lot of incompetence of dealerships and tire dealers (cars) when it comes to balancing wheels that cause all kind of problems, and they replace rather a $1500 drive shaft, than pulling the wheels off and re-balance the wheels.

BTW: When I bought my second GrandVista with 1550 miles it vibrated horribly above 75 mph, aggravated the heck out of me!  I pulled the front wheel off and re-balanced it; rear wheel was OK.  It took 3/4 of an ounce to get in balance, which is a LOT for a small wheel like this.  Now at high speed I have absolutely no vibration,  So, the KYMCO factory sent the scooter out with a totally unbalanced wheel!  It never was off before, of course original tire.  Shame on them...  So, I bet there is your problem, in bad or unbalanced wheels.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 02:43:06 AM »
As PassedByA Scooter says, yes, roller weights can be the cause for vibration if not moving.  You could have a combination of things.  So, check both of those last suggestions and I am sure it takes care of your vibrations.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 04:21:30 PM »
Any news on your vibratioin issue?

AVGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 02:04:05 AM »
Because the other shop that checked my belt had to remove the CVT cover, the gasket needed to be replaced. So my dealer ordered it and when it came in I had them replace it, and while at it, check out everything under the CVT cover and clean out the dust.

They said everything looked fine and they feel the vibration is normal. There's no power loss or hesitation and the bike tracks straight down the road. I'm not particularly good with a wrench, so I'll just keep riding.
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

AVGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 11:41:42 PM »
Well I found what the cause is. I was adding some air to my rear tire and noticed the bracket that runs from the rear fender to the back of the airbox. The screw (or bolt) attaching the bracket to the airbox was loose so the whole bracket vibrates. I hand tightened it back down before heading out and noticed a big improvement. When I checked it again, it was loose. There's not much room to get to the screw so I got a stubby screwdriver and when I have a minute I'll put some loctite on it and tighten it back up.

Now I can ride happy.
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()