Author Topic: Make the seat more comfortable?  (Read 4767 times)

AVGuy

• View Profile
Make the seat more comfortable?
« on: June 12, 2012, 02:38:12 AM »
I've been looking online at different seat cushions, such as Airhawk & Butt Buffer, to help with my GV stock seat. After about an hour, my rear end starts getting sore & I'm noticing the bumps more. In looking through the older posts here, I read about the optional touring seat and wondered if I'd be better off spending the money on the seat, if still available anywhere, or saving some money and getting a cushion.

I like the height and back support of the stock seat. I've had back surgery and really need good support.

I want to be able to go on longer rides with my motorcycle buddies without beating up my butt.
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

ce

• View Profile
Re: Make the seat more comfortable?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 03:00:37 AM »
The seat was exhorbitantly expensive, and it's embarrassing to admit I spent $260 on one, but it was worth it, because it rides awesome, and takes the load off the road.

It's also hideous, in a peculiar way, but maybe it doesn't look so bad when you're underway, as long as you ride real fast.

I think you'll do well to get it.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Carew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 11:27:02 PM »
I'm about to purchase an 07 GV, rode it today on trial.  Man the standard seat is uncomfortable.  Should I plunk down the $260 for the seat sight unseen?  If so, is it easy to replace yourself?

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 02:18:43 AM »
There's only four bolts on the mount and the whole thing swaps out in a couple minutes, so yeah, it's easy.

I let a dude try my seat yesterday and he was impressed after riding a Super 8. He didn't think it was ugly either, he thought it looked cool.

So yeah, I'd say get the seat if you want to ride, I spent all day in the saddle yesterday, and even in 100 degree heat it was great.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 09:49:47 PM »
Urbestfriend has had the Captain's Seat for sometime now and has
founde it exceptionally comfortable.  Could be a little longer,  but it's fine.
My source was "Phil Waters" POC (Pride of Cleveland) in Ohio, of course.

catman2130093

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 11:13:37 PM »
Is that seat any taller than the stock-or further back? I'm 5'10 and the stock seat makes me feel like my knees are up around my ears....if the touring seat is a bit better padded and a tad taller, I'll have to have one! 

scootit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 05:22:16 PM »
I raised the backrest and added more foam to the seat. I love having a back rest that is against my back. I removed the seat cover  and back rest. I got some 2" foam and padded the seat. Cut foam ends at an angle so it fits down to the original foam. Replaced cover. I added lots of extra foam to the front of seat. My seat now has a big nose. I don't slide forward anymore. I added black fabric to bottom of seat cover to give it extra fabric to cover foam. Stapled cover back on. I used brackets that I bent a bit to raise the back rest.  Covered a piece of foam to place over brackets, covered back rest with same fabric so ugle back of backrest looked  nice. Easy to do. I hand sewed everything. Took me maybe 1 1/2 to complete. If I sell scooter eveything can be removed and back to original seat.  Cost 1/2 yard of fake leather and  a few packs of foam seating pieces.
Ask if you have any questions.
Next I will make a seat cover. This seat sure gets hot in the sun.
Good luck

FredOneSmith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 12:47:36 PM »
I bought a genuine real sheepskin. It was way cheaper than a replacement seat. I just throw it on the seat and sit on it. Because of its leather back it does not slide around at all. It is super comfortable for me and improved my stock seat confort level enormously. Plus my butt stays cooler in the warm weather, and warmer in the cool weather. - Fred

AVGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 02:01:41 AM »
I decided to go with the medium Butt Buffer and it has helped quite a bit. It's made from a gel material covered in black velour. That extra layer of padding takes a lot of the harshness out of the seat. The longest I've ridden is about an hour and a half and I felt much better than I did before. The only negative is that it's black and really soaks up the heat from the sun so then you're sitting on that hot gel.

It cost about $90 with shipping.
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

karpata

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 11:28:07 PM »
I, too have had back surgery, looking at another. Highly recommend an Utopia backrest. I installed it in less than an hour and it has made a tremendous improvement in my riding comfort. Already had a Skwoosh seat pad so now life on my GV is even better. my 2 cents.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 11:53:03 PM »
I've been looking at the headrest I removed from the car and thinking
backrest for the scooter but how to attach it?
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 10:17:11 PM »
If you don't have the big money for something really fancy.  Try a Mossy Oak
air filled cushion in the Hunting Section of your Sporting Goods Store.  About 12 x 16-18",
has a strap.  About $15.00.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()