Author Topic: Electrical problems with my GV 250  (Read 14898 times)

Al Grande

• View Profile
Re: Electrical problems with my GV 250
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2010, 09:16:27 PM »
I FINALLY GOT RID OF THE GRAND VISTA!!!!!!!!!!

2 weeks ago, the dealership replaced my starter (this is the one that caused me 6 months of constant frustration). They told me my warranty covered all costs. They also said that they hoped this will solve the problem. They still don't know why the starter kept staying "on" after turning over the engine.

Well, 3 days later - with the new starter - it happened again >:( After starting the engine, the starter stayed on! I rode it home, disconnected the battery. Next, I placed it on sale on Craigslist for $500. Piece-of-crap scooter!! It sold in 2 days. After this, no more f***ing KYMCO!

I'm saving up for a Suzuki Burgman 650. f*** the Grand Vista 250!!!!

If anyone on this forum owns a Grand Vista 250, GET RID OF IT QUICKLY!

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 06:18:09 PM »
Or patiently work out the problem.  I own a Honda Elite scoot' which I bought new in '04.  It suddenly quit running.  After over a year and two long stays at the local Honda dealer and including the national and regional Honda technical support people couldn't figure it out, it turned out to be a loose valve seat.  This is a very highly vaunted HONDA failure at less than 4,000 miles.  I was angry, patient and persistant...
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550

Forest Grump

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2011, 11:43:37 PM »
I am having the same problem on the Yaeger 200i.

slowjack

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2011, 12:07:29 PM »
Just wait until Al Grande drops his new Burgman 650 for the first time!  The lighter Grand Vista is just a WHOLE LOT easier to pick up.  I slipped and dropped my Burgman once in the middle of the road (before seeing a video on youtube on the correct way to pick up a dropped motorcycle) and thought I was gunna bust my guts. 
Jack

melodys39

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 02:05:36 PM »
Also, all this began after 13 months I've be been riding my GV 250 without any serious problems. Up to 9,000 miles, then this problem with the starter and stator.

The 2 things I didn't like about my GV is that it really didn't get real good mpgs in the city. 37-49 mpg was my city driving range. When I rode my GV from Sacramento to Stockton, on a county road, I only got it up to 69 mph and 54 mpg. I couldn't go any faster than that. All those GV owners who brag about getting 75 mph on their scoots, are you sure you're really travelling 75 mph? Kymco's speedometers are notoriously optimistic, about 20 % or more.

I don't want to sound like a cry baby, but for me Kymco isn't a fantastic brand. Good engines, yes they are. But due to this re-occurring electrical problem I'm having, I'm never going to buy another Kymco. Once, they fix my scoot, I'm selling it or trading it in for another brand. I'm leaning towards SYM. Many scooterists here in Sacramento, ride either SYM, Honda, Vespa or any Piaggio, Genuine Buddy, yamaha or Suzuki. They also, use to ride Kymco until problems occurred.  They then switched brands.

If anyone else feels the same about their Kymcos, let me know. I don't think I'm the only one going through this.

I have a '09 GV 250, and my GPS says the mph are right on the money. But my mpg are not that great. I am getting about 50 mpg with combined city and country driving.
'09 White Grandvista 250 "Dinky"

Doug9678

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2013, 08:28:24 PM »
I had the same problem - starter staying on after motor has started - replaced starter relay and it did the same thing - replaced battery with brand new battery and VOILA - fixed!

Also my top speed on the GV is about 68mph - i have the big givi windshield on and i weigh 290 lbs - i get about 50 mpg
 Scooter indicates 68mph and gps says 68.
2009 GrandVista 249cc
Amsoil 10w-40
Iridium Plug

jimmymcmullen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2013, 03:06:50 PM »
I had the same issue and after reading this thread I cleaned out the starter button with contact cleaner and worked it on and off now prob is gone!!! just a button issue.

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2013, 06:25:20 AM »
The real problem was that the dealer didn't have the skills to fix it.  It could also be the relay.  I have my issues with the GV but I've put 8K on it in two years without too much to complain about.  Much less maintenance than any of the many motorcycles I have owned.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 05:41:10 AM by mrbios »
PaulC

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2015, 06:06:39 AM »
Just for the record, here's how to pick up a bike, as mentioned by Slowjack:

People 150 (sold)
2008 white Grand Vista 250

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2015, 09:38:13 PM »
I had the same problem - starter staying on after motor has started - replaced starter relay and it did the same thing - replaced battery with brand new battery and VOILA - fixed!

Also my top speed on the GV is about 68mph - i have the big givi windshield on and i weigh 290 lbs - i get about 50 mpg
 Scooter indicates 68mph and gps says 68.

That is really weird that the replacing the battery solved it.  Your numbers are right on the money. I weigh about 162 and average around 50 mpg due to the tall givi windshield and can reach about 83mph on level highway indicated - 6 mph or speedoerror ='s about 76 mph.  With the stock windshield I could reach about 86mph - 6 mph = 80 mph. Lower speeds on a long trip i have gotten as much as 61 mpg.

PaulC

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2015, 09:47:32 PM »
The Old 'starter keeps running' and won't stop issue ... lol is a classic motorcycle problem that cuts across years, makes, models, brands and effects scooters too.  Possible solutions: 1. relay, handlebar switch, starter clutch (part inside the starter used by most motorcycles) and apparently a low battery?

I don't blame Al Grande for hating his GV I would to if it happened to me.  He'll do great with the big burgie 650's power and ride quality but he will miss the GV's easy light handling and mpg and easy in town / city handling.

We all know the GV is a great machine.  I bought my used 4 years ago with 2600 miles and as of today have 17,350!  Main issue has been the defective design of the exhaust which I have welded 3 times to fix cracks or rattles.  Currently has a rattle but hasn't cracked ....  yet ;)  I may make a custom slipon if it breaks again.

Other issues was unclogging the pilot jet - not the scoots fault but I should have replaced the carb with a new one. 

Minor issues - loose coil bolt caused sudden stop of motor or no start resolved with tightening and adding loctite. 

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:30:30 PM by mrbios »
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()