Author Topic: GV Resurrection advice  (Read 2438 times)

Brik

• View Profile
GV Resurrection advice
« on: July 08, 2015, 01:40:26 PM »
I picked up a 2009 Grandvista with only 250 miles. It was last inspected and ridden about 2 or 3 years ago. It was not prepped for storage. I got a good deal if I can get it running.   :-[

When the guy showed it to me he had a borrowed good battery and demonstrated it would crank but not turn over.

I figured I would just do all normal maintenance and hit the likely causes of non-starting... I found the service manual - took off most of the the plastics so things are more accessible.

I did the following...
1) Changed the spark plug - old looked burnt
2) Changed fuel filter - old looked cloudy
3) Drained the gas tank 98%, refilled with fresh 91 octane and a few ounces of sea foam
4) Confirmed the air filter is clean
5) Sprayed carb cleaner into the carb from both sides, i didn't disconnect anything but air intake and the large connector on the opposite side.
6) New Yuasa battery

At this point the bike will start. It will idle for a few minutes and then stall. It will stall immediately if I give it any throttle.

I suspect my issue is in the carb but I don't know how deep I need to dig into the thing. Should I just order a whole new carb assembly for $285? Should I just take the bike and the huge pile of plastic bits I took off to a dealer?

Thanks in advance
B

xsel777

• View Profile
Re: GV Resurrection advice
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 01:57:51 PM »
Personally, I would strip the carb, and push thin wire or blow out through every crevice, hole, tube, jet,as it is 99% going to be your problem.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 02:38:34 PM »
Personally, I would strip the carb, and push thin wire or blow out through every crevice, hole, tube, jet,as it is 99% going to be your problem.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

+2 if its been 3 years you'll HAVE to take the carb apart and clean everything. Just go slow and remember where everything is. Spraying carb cleaner in the mouth does absolutely nothing. The idle jet is the main culprit.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

ScooterLar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 03:54:32 PM »
I'd also clean the carb. Chances are the carb bowl is caked with a jelly like/powdery residue. You might get away with just removing/cleaning the float bowl and removing/blowing out both the main jet and the idle jet. As previously suggested, you may need to take a thin piece of wire and clear all the orifices in the idle jet.

I bought a 2009 GV with 78 original miles on it about a year ago. It also had sat with gas in it for a few years. The only thing I did was clean the carb as stated above and I haven't had a problem since.  Good luck!
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

Brik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 08:54:59 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement. I'll dig into this tonight. For other carbs I have seen "repair kits" and "rebuild kits" and such. It seems that such a kit does not exists for this carb. I figure the worst that happens is I totally screw it up and then just order a factory fresh replacement.

Brik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 01:15:06 AM »
Okay - I need a bit more help...
Maybe I'm good, I dont know, never owned a scoot before..
The smaller jet was definitely clogged, i was able to pike the holes clear, run carb cleaner through it, etc. The larger jet looked clean. there wasn't much gunk in the bowl area.

I put it back together and started it up. It will now idle fine. While on the center stand, if I give it throttle, and hold the throttle open. It seems to surge, faster/slower/faster/slower. I'm on the stand, I haven't put the plastic bits and the seat back on yet. is this 'surging' normal because the CV trans doesn't have a load on it? Or, is something else messed up?

Here is a video of me holding open the throttle (It had been idling for about 20 seconds when I started recording)
https://goo.gl/photos/3tmccBdxkbxBQj9DA

Thanks again!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 01:50:02 AM by Brik »

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 12:40:57 AM »
I see you don't have the airbox hooked up. That changes EVERYTHING!!!!! The jets are tuned for the very, very restrictive airbox. Put it back on and see if it runs normal.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Brik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 01:50:33 AM »
Send you bill to.... Wow, thanks for catching that. I had the cover off because I changed the filter and the carb was easier to remove if the air box bolts were off. I bolted it all up and it seems to run. I dont know what 'normal' sounds like on a scoot, I ride a motorcycle. Sounds like what I imagine a scoot sounding like.

I'll zipped up everything and took her for a ride. Seems normal to me. More power than I expected.

Thanks everyone
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 05:13:36 PM by Brik »

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 09:51:53 PM »
I picked up a 2009 Grandvista with only 250 miles....

I did the following...

Best thing would have been to replace the carb.  I wish I had.  But the existing carb can be cleaned and often the pilot jet needs to be increased to compensate for restriction due to areas that can't be properly cleaned.  The downside of running the carb you have is the tendency for the pilot jet to make the motor run lean.  fwiw, Here are my carb videos.

Carburetor Cleaning & Theory four part series:

Youtube: Kymco Carburetor Remove and Reinstall

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:05:33 PM by mrbios »
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()