Author Topic: Electric start won't start on my Agility 50cc  (Read 1548 times)

drew

• View Profile
Electric start won't start on my Agility 50cc
« on: June 29, 2014, 10:54:14 PM »
Hi, I'm new to these forums so please bare with me  ;D,

Today at around 10:00 a.m GMT/BST time, I purchased a 2010 Agility 50cc Scooter. The man who had sold me it was a nice guy, 54 years old and lots of experience in riding bikes on the road. He purchased it for commuting but he said he needed something more powerful as he has to go up hills a lot.

So basically my friend road it home for me as my provisional license has not arrived yet / haven't done my cbt. Everything was fine.
When checking the bike everything was fine too. Great panels for a 4 year old bike, no mods done to the bike (engine etc) so yeah it was well worth the £330 I paid, which he told me he originally paid £400 from the previous owner, which he had owned it for like a week, whilst renewing mot and tax for a whole year.

Now, I was playing with the bike a bit too much when I returned at my friends house in his garden. I was revving the bike unnecessary  but nothing stupid. I had been riding it around the block for a little bit as well.

I was revving the bike and it seemed as if smoke was coming out the exhaust but all seemed fine so we ignored it. A bit later we were going to go for a ride so I could get comfortable on the road and it wouldn't electric start, I would just hear a click (from what I remember). Instead I just kick started the bike and had no problems. My friend decided to look at the battery from underneath and had saw that one of the wires had burned / melted? and had become unattached, which caused the smoke from before, other than that the whole battery should be fine as all the indicators etc work. (if they are controlled by the battery).

So now what do I need to do? Do I need to buy a whole new battery or is it possible to buy battery wires?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Electric start won't start on my Agility 50cc
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 01:06:31 AM »
I'll respond to this later tonight. You have no issue that can't be fixed for a few Eu's
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 02:38:03 AM »
Any wires that got burned can be replaced.just follow theam back to the wire harnes.also check your wires to make sure you dont have a bad ground.

drew

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 10:52:27 AM »
I'll respond to this later tonight. You have no issue that can't be fixed for a few Eu's

thanks, I look forward to hearing it

drew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 10:55:06 AM »
Any wires that got burned can be replaced.just follow theam back to the wire harnes.also check your wires to make sure you dont have a bad ground.
I don't know too much about bikes so could you explain a little bit more please :-[, also where would be the best place to buy spare wires and can they be attached yourself?

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 01:44:33 PM »
Yoy can buy wire at a auto part store.but if you dont trust your self to fix take the scoot to a shop the wireing is not a good friend to play with good luck.

drew

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 08:38:22 PM »
Yoy can buy wire at a auto part store.but if you dont trust your self to fix take the scoot to a shop the wireing is not a good friend to play with good luck.
Thanks, will most likely go with this unless I hear anything else

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 08:42:30 PM »
What blue said.

You have to find the reason it fried. It's easy to replace the wiring but knowing what/why is the big deal here.

How handy are you w/ Car Stereos ect.?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 10:48:11 PM »
There is a starter relay next and under the gas tank that needs cleaned sometimes.it will make for hard starting if its bad .if you over fill the gas tank bad gas gets in it and gets it dirty.

drew

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 11:50:34 PM »
What blue said.

You have to find the reason it fried. It's easy to replace the wiring but knowing what/why is the big deal here.

How handy are you w/ Car Stereos ect.?

gotcha, and I'm not too bad but do have a friend who works in a garage sorting out car steroes, so that could be an alternative once finding out what's fixed if the quote given by the garage sounds too pricey

drew

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 11:51:19 PM »
There is a starter relay next and under the gas tank that needs cleaned sometimes.it will make for hard starting if its bad .if you over fill the gas tank bad gas gets in it and gets it dirty.

I see, my knowledge isn't so great so I'll go with what you said and take it to a garage. Thanks

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 07:01:45 AM »
Electrical issues have to be found/repaired. Replacing the wire repairs nothing. I'm happy to hear you will have someone that is more familiar look at it for you.

If you would please post up what they find. It will help someone else for sure.

drew

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 01:06:10 PM »
Electrical issues have to be found/repaired. Replacing the wire repairs nothing. I'm happy to hear you will have someone that is more familiar look at it for you.

If you would please post up what they find. It will help someone else for sure.
I will do, I'm heading to the garage on tuesday ( in two days time ), so I'll find everything out then

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()