Author Topic: Head Buffeting---modern maxi scooters  (Read 504 times)

john grinsel

• View Profile
Head Buffeting---modern maxi scooters
« on: September 05, 2020, 03:17:24 PM »
Having had some experience with modern maxi scooters---on 11th new one since 1990 and over 400,000 miles with them-----I find the head buffeting with stock and many after market windshields---sick....takes away from riding pleasure. Some how tells me the Sales Directors for the various Corps. do not ride!!  AT 81, 82 next spring may have purchased last Maxi scooter, XTown 300i 2019 right now----not because of age but buffeting!!

Problem in SIMPLE TERMS---your nose is to far from tip pf screen.   I even tried S shaped screen and fairing from England on Helix=some improvement.  Best of my 11 new Maxi scooters----Honda Silverwing 600 with GIVI adjustable screen----these adjustable screens did not work as well on my 2 Burgman 400's.   My base line for scooter comfort---Vespa PX 200E bought new in Denver with I believe US made/designed screen---nose close to tip of shield-----I need windshield because I ride in all weather, hot, cold, snow, rain, etc.  Look over important as I like to see what I might hit!   Current Vespa GTS should also work with right height screen---but Vespa lack of dealers/price/reliability/ and 8,000 mile belt change intervals scare me away, still----Vespa Heyday on US.....when Sears sold them @$325, parts service great

Motorcycles---BMW air cooled twin with Heinrich uppers and lowers---quiet and worked in all weathers. Harley Big Twin with winter windshield kit and tin leg shields---probably developed for all year use in Milwaukee.

Back to Kymco XTown---yesterday, trip to Dalton GA dealer started with Puig Touring screen cut 4 inches, Laminar lip bolted on---- hard to see over comfortably, buffeting, enough to be unpleasant , Helmet GMAX 3/4, foam ear plugs, long flat bill on helmet.    Return ride removed Laminar Lip, easy look over, buffeting about same.  TODAY--back to OEM screen with bolted on Laminar Lip---this combo presents least buffeting, but cold in winter as the shoulders seem to get little protection, this combo may be most streamlined I have.

If another $1200 comes along from the Govt. I may try Givi for $180, knowing I will have to cut down.

Real plus for Kymco in changing scooter screens---5 bolts, 4 spacersThe Japanese maxi scooters and one Daelim I have had, changing shields real pain in butt!!

john grinsel

• View Profile
Re: Head Buffeting---modern maxi scooters
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 08:09:02 PM »
Sat. afternoon--- another 90 degree day/some wind, just quick ride up and down freeway with OEM windshield and bolted on Laminar Lip----much less buffeting than yesterday's combination with Puig Touring screen.  Guess I will leave it on---used different helmet today with face shield, pretty quiet with ear plugs, face shield down, felt little buffeting----Face Shield up, some buffeting present and felt.....but not at the point where is can drive you nuts on long day.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 09:36:01 PM »
My guess is that scooters are built to be comfortable for the majority of riders of a certain size.
I now that I was too tall for the stock Burgman 400 screen.
I sometimes think that a shorter screen is better for a lot of reasons - unless you're just poking around in a rainy city.
When I changed to a short 'sport' screen the ride was much better, and I sold the stock screen to a short fellow who had broken his stock screen in a drop.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 01:12:42 AM »
Interesting to me, as I'm now almost 72 and really prefer a good air pocket. I find my stock screen on my 500R to be perfect for me at 5'7", up to a little over 60MPH. Then it starts to get a bit of buffeting going. Some on the helmet, most at the shoulders. I may experiment with some add on wings or something.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 01:19:43 AM »
Interesting to me, as I'm now almost 72 and really prefer a good air pocket. I find my stock screen on my 500R to be perfect for me at 5'7", up to a little over 60MPH. Then it starts to get a bit of buffeting going. Some on the helmet, most at the shoulders. I may experiment with some add on wings or something.
While I'm almost the same height 5'8", I find the top part of my head gets hit by wind unless I bend a little with stock windscrean.  I went for a touring windscreen on my 500R that just a little higher and works perfect for me. 
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 02:59:11 PM »
I'm curious as to where you got it and model.

OldCoot

• View Profile
    • Steve Wike
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 01:00:46 PM »
I've had great luck with the big Givi I put on my Grand Vista. No buffeting that I've noticed, although I don't ride nearly as much as most. But I also was fortunate back when I rode more with my National windshields on two of my Sportsters and my S50 Suzuki. Never suffered, thankfully. Maybe I just duck more... not sure why they've felt so comfortable.

:)
OldCoot, aka Brick Head
Greer, SC

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 04:24:42 PM »
I also have a Givi windscreen on my Xciting 400i and it works great. I got the one for the Xciting 500 because it fit. The only caveat that I have is that the turning of the handlebars too much to the far right or left causes the mirrors to touch the windscreen, but it does not affect my driving. It had cut down on buffeting tremendously for me as well as stabilizing my bike on windy days

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

gwdoiron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 03:59:32 AM »
The stupid stock windshields provided on the Xciting 500 and the Forza 300 were absolutely worthless.
For the Xciting 500, I swapped it out with the taller windshield from the Xciting 250 to fix the buffeting.
For the Forza, I ended up getting a Givi, which also fixed the buffeting.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 01:29:19 PM »
The stupid stock windshields provided on the Xciting 500 and the Forza 300 were absolutely worthless.
For the Xciting 500, I swapped it out with the taller windshield from the Xciting 250 to fix the buffeting.
For the Forza, I ended up getting a Givi, which also fixed the buffeting.
Well -- I loved the stock screen on my Forza 300.
Put a similar one on my Burgman 400.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2020, 05:00:44 PM »
My 500 is ok stock, but I wanted it better. So I made a small extension out of lexan and mounted it directly to the windscreen with grommets and brass screws. I tried a purchased piece but the hardware was ridiculous and the extended arms on it magnified every little movement so it bounce around in front of my eyes constantly. I can ride with the face shield up.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()