Author Topic: Drive Belt Inspection  (Read 3963 times)

Snorvey

• View Profile
Drive Belt Inspection
« on: April 02, 2017, 03:56:25 PM »
Havign finally got the cover of with the help of a very large rubber persuader, i got a look at the drive belt today. I was worried that it might be on the way out as there was a screeching noise coming from that area after quite a number of miles. It hasn't repeated itself since then, but most of my journeys have been relatively short (less than 20 miles).

I don't know much about drive belts, so I look a few pics and a few measurements while I was it at. Any thoughts would be most welcome.

The belt itself would appear to be as new. There are no cracks or missing teeth. The maximum deflection when pushed is about half an inch (should have measured this more accurately, I know). Measured over several different points, the belt is 22 mm wide and at it's narrowest (at the tip of the teeth, its 16mm). The cogs etc all seem to be in good condition.

As I said, any thoughts (particularly in relation of the screeching when warm) would be appreciated.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Drive Belt Inspection
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 05:04:42 PM »
How many miles on the belt?
What are specs for new belt per your manual, and limit of wear?
Will you be cleaning pulley surfaces?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 05:39:02 PM »
 mitsuboshi spec sheet 2011  length 1004 mm.  width 25.5 angle 30  degree  2011 downtown to now,.  did not see what the minimum width is, I think it is 23 mm.   , all belts I have bought are 24.3 wide ,.  the way to check belt is to take it off, and flex the belt to see if there are cracks showing in between the cogs inside and outside ,.  you can use the boss to bend the belt too check for cracks, so you don't over bend it,. 

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 06:02:26 PM »
Snorvey, The screeching sound is the same sound that tires make on pavement when you use too much power and the rubber breaks loose and spins the tire. (lost grip) As Stig some rightly mentioned, cleaning the face plates will help. Belts do stretch and you need to know the defection limit. The only part of the belts thats contacting the face plates  are the edges. As the belt wears it becomes more narrow and there fore increasing the deflection. The teeth do not contact anything and are only there to aid in cooling the belt. A cvt generates a lot of heat and the ventilation inside the belt housing must be un-obstructed. In the pictures, the belt looked good, but could be worn enough to make it slip. Don't know if any of the helps, but that's the low down on all CTV drive belts.
cheers

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 07:34:31 PM »
Thanks lads. You know what, i think I'm going to order myself a new belt. I'm quite happy to fit it myself, but i recall you need a special pulley holding tool make things a bit easier?

Also, cleaning the pulley surfaces.... With what? Degreaser? Or just a soft cloth?

Thanks again.

Ps the service manual  says the belt was changed (or inspected - the book just had a tick next to 'inspect/replace belt') 4500 miles ago - before i bought it. I think for peace of mind,  I'll change it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 07:39:50 PM by Snorvey »

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 08:23:32 PM »
when you get new belt measure it with tailors tape should be about 1004 MM.  width 24.5 MM. or more, 

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 01:10:41 AM »
As far as what to clean the two sides of each pulley with. I'd use 70% rubbing alcohol. It dries completely and leaves no residue and will remove any oil. Do that while the old belt is off.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 03:01:56 PM »
I've seen a telly program on the Discovery Channel that shows them making 70% alcohol - normally in the middle of the night in a hut in the middle of the forest. Guaranteed to get your sight back within 3 days.

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 05:40:20 PM »
I've seen a telly program on the Discovery Channel that shows them making 70% alcohol - normally in the middle of the night in a hut in the middle of the forest. Guaranteed to get your sight back within 3 days.

in Canada we call it Nufi screech,   USA call it white lightning

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 12:59:36 AM »
That possibly cannot be an original belt.

Maybe that is why it is screeching.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 02:55:35 AM »

At 22 MM. wide it probabley is bottoming out, on the boss,  slipping on the variator faces

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 07:55:40 AM »

I didn't see any Kymco logos on it or anything, so you're probably right. OEM parts for me all the way now.

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 10:19:30 AM »
The tell tale sign is that original Kymco belts are single sided.

I didn't see any Kymco logos on it or anything, so you're probably right. OEM parts for me all the way now.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 07:24:16 PM »
That's quite a tell tale sign! Thanks.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 11:17:41 AM »
My genuine Kymco DT belt says 'Kymco' and 'Mitsuboshi' and is toothed on both sides. Your belt may be slipping since it is too worn out on the inner side, causing it to taper and ride lower in the pulleys. This will affect grip, acceleration and top speed.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()