Author Topic: Valve Adjustment?  (Read 3302 times)

Nireen

• View Profile
Re: Valve Adjustment?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 10:17:45 PM »
Thanks, Stig! THAT will put me in the barrel for sure! Har, har!

I do recall, years ago when I first started to ride, each motorcycle seemed to get kinda poor after a while. Then when the ship would deploy for 6 months or more, the bikes seemed to perk up when I returned. Could it be you got used to what it would do....not trying to brush you off, just looking at all possibilities. Especially sine Stig gave me up! Har, har!

Ha Ha Ha,  a pound or two.  I did actually; dang menopausal weight lol.  I only weigh about 120 pounds.    It is only important to me when I am on the highway which I do often; that I need that extra kick to get away from traffic.  It makes for a big difference when passing.  I am about to take my 7 hour ride to my Mom and Dad's again.  I will just have to take an extra hour to get there. :) Maybe it is the fact it is a new belt and just needs to loosen up?

Kat :)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 11:05:43 AM »
Try to recall some speed vs. rpm points at common values and the wooly heads with DT300i scoots can tell you if it matches. Fer instance, 60 mph should be 6000 rpm. Oh! You are in kms! No matter, just post what you get and we will see. 120 huh. That's perfect!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 12:12:38 PM »
Try to recall some speed vs. rpm points at common values and the wooly heads with DT300i scoots can tell you if it matches. Fer instance, 60 mph should be 6000 rpm. Oh! You are in kms! No matter, just post what you get and we will see. 120 huh. That's perfect!

Oh Karl, I think my RPM often sits at 7000 or 8000 or even 9000 I don't recall seeing it ever sit at 6000 80km's will have to really look now I maybe wrong but???
;)

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 02:05:52 PM »

I was just out around town and took notice of this.  Even at 40 km it is sitting at about 6000rpm.  Is this normal

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 02:38:50 PM »
Not in my experience. The two I keep harping about were so alike it is scary. One idea is to get someone with the analyzer tool to see if it and the tach read the same. 40 mph may be 4500 to 5000 max.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 03:01:55 PM »
Not in my experience. The two I keep harping about were so alike it is scary. One idea is to get someone with the analyzer tool to see if it and the tach read the same. 40 mph may be 4500 to 5000 max.

Oh wow so what if it is not good what needs to be done to fix this?

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 07:01:19 PM »
It seems from my limited experience with CVT's and Physics 101 that two things affect acceleration and top speed: roller weights and belt width. If the belt is worn too narrow it won't rise to the top of the variator, causing loss of top speed. If the roller weights are lighter than specs the engine will have to turn faster (higher RPM's) to make the belt rise up in the variator, which should give better acceleration at low speeds but possibly cost a loss of top speed. The shop manual gives the minimum width of the belt. You can check it to see if it's worn too narrow. You can also inspect the variator rollers for flat spots and the four plastic roller guides for wear and any dirt build up that could interfere with roller movement.

Just my two cents worth from a newbie with CVT's. I welcome correction from more knowledgeable forum members. I will soon change to lighter rollers on my DT300 and share the results.

2009 GV 250

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 09:21:58 PM »
It seems from my limited experience with CVT's and Physics 101 that two things affect acceleration and top speed: roller weights and belt width. If the belt is worn too narrow it won't rise to the top of the variator, causing loss of top speed. If the roller weights are lighter than specs the engine will have to turn faster (higher RPM's) to make the belt rise up in the variator, which should give better acceleration at low speeds but possibly cost a loss of top speed. The shop manual gives the minimum width of the belt. You can check it to see if it's worn too narrow. You can also inspect the variator rollers for flat spots and the four plastic roller guides for wear and any dirt build up that could interfere with roller movement.

Just my two cents worth from a newbie with CVT's. I welcome correction from more knowledgeable forum members. I will soon change to lighter rollers on my DT300 and share the results.

Well I think  your 2 cents makes alot of sense! :) I lost my top speed a bit before I replaced the new belt and put new rollers in but I still have not got my highspeed back yet.  Someone mentioned my belt may need a few miles on it to get it back.  I have amazing acceleration.  I should check to see what width they did put on it I guess.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 11:21:28 PM »
Oh wow so what if it is not good what needs to be done to fix this?
I had a nice ride today about 140 miles. It occurred to me about 20 minutes in to the trip you have, based on your rpm post, one pulley in your CVT not moving or not moving much. That's why you can wind up the rpm's and not go fast. I suspect the front pulley is not moving.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2019, 04:19:24 PM »

Just to be clear Karl are you meaning 40 mph or km. 

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2019, 05:01:23 PM »
MPH. You check your variator yet for limited or no movement?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2019, 05:50:07 PM »
MPH. You check your variator yet for limited or no movement?

OK needed to be sure Mph or Km.  So for sure at 40 km I am about 5000 to 5500 and at 60km I am  6000 to 6500
I went to the garage today to talk about what you said and suggested.  He wants me to go on the highway and get it up to 100 or more and see what it reads than to.  We have not checked anything yet Karl.

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2019, 05:53:17 PM »
I wonder now what kind of job this is gonna be to fix if it is a problem?

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 06:01:54 PM »
Your RPM's are way too high for the speed. Even after I installed lighter rollers my DT300 is turning 6000 RPM's at 60 MPH (96 KPH). I'd remove the CVT cover and watch the belt action as someone twists the  throttle (on center stand, of course. The variator should move the belt up to the top of the pulley as the engine gains speed. If not, the belt may be the wrong size, which is critical. Compare it to the old one for diameter (length) and width. Tip: You can leave the CVT uncovered while experimenting, just don't ride the scoot on dirty or wet roads until you re-install the cover. You might check to see if your clutch pads are worn out (maybe the clutch is slipping?)
2009 GV 250

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2019, 06:09:50 PM »
PS Another thought: Maybe your variator is not working properly. Maybe the rollers aren't rolling, are stuck or...? That could cause the lack of speed. It's easy to mess up when installing the variator because there are eight rollers that must be kept in position as the two halves of the variator pulley are slid on the shaft. 
2009 GV 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()