Author Topic: Issues with brand new Downtown running rough and cutting out / stalling  (Read 15568 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Easiest way to check for water in the fuel (all Ethanol fuel contains water) is to open the bowl bleeder screw on the base of the carb, and let it flow into a clear glass jar. Let it sit for an hour, and you will see if there is SEPARATED water. If it is a FI bike then pull the fuel line off the throttle body, and let the fuel flow into a jar.

Ethanol attracts water, and can only hold so much in suspension. After that point it is water.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

mnpugdog

• View Profile
Good reason not to use ethanol. I will drive out of the way to get the good stuff. I have 2 stations near me that sells non ethanol gas and I have an app to help me if I'm on the road to find it.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with brand new Downtown running rough and cutting out / stalling
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2014, 05:23:31 PM »
Any updates, msolok?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

msolok

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2014, 09:43:52 PM »
I am up to around 1,600Km on the Downtown now. Since dropping is off at the Service Centre the first time there has only been 1 incident with it stalling. Other than that it's been running well, nice and smooth.

It took a long time for the switch block to come in to fix my headlights issue. But it's now been replaced and it is running well. I am quite happy with it, even after the initial stumbles.

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2014, 03:46:42 PM »
glad things worked out in the end.
my scoot (dt300i) has stalled on me twice so far. in traffic. both times when suddenly releasing throttle before/at a stop, but could start it quickly, still not a pleasant experience. suspecting gas but not sure... have the iridium plug at home but haven't changed to it yet. maybe that would help?
another question: what is the correct idle rpm?
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2014, 05:52:20 PM »
Msolok, that is great the thing is running normally! Nushipwright, idle should be 1650 +/- 50 rpm. You do the INITIALIZATION yet?

Karl

CORRECTION! IDLE SPEED SHOULD BE 1600+/- 100 RPM. Well, I was close.....
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 02:41:50 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2014, 07:28:41 AM »
Msolok, that is great the thing is running normally! Nushipwright, idle should be 1650 +/- 50 rpm. You do the INITIALIZATION yet?

Karl

my idle is at 1500 . no I haven't done initialization yet. nor do I know how to do it. what does it do?
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

sklnzl

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2014, 01:28:09 PM »
This is how its done:

8eeman77

• Work hard, ride safe
  • I'm a scooter loving Apiarist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2014, 03:38:25 PM »
I would still take your scooter back to the dealers & have their mechanic look at it just to be safe. It should not cost you anything as it's new & you don't expect any problems from a new scooter. When I first got my scooter I accidently left the key on & drained the battery. Fortunately the nice people who sold me the scooter replaced it with a new battery free if charge. No problems after that dilemma. I believe the Downtown to be a very reliable scooter. Good luck
The Kymco DT 300i ABS is the best scooter you can get. I love it's carefree automatic ride. I would like to see kymco make a 600cc version but no heavier then the 300. I would buy it for sure

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2014, 06:05:06 PM »
An issue just came up with one of our dt300 on the showroom. Went to test drive it and no spark. Found out that there is a hazard control unit under the seat on the right side. A brown box that looks like a cdi with 11 wires coming in and out. In plug it and see if it fixes your issue. For some odd reason it has partial control of the ignition.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2014, 07:30:29 PM »
What is a "hazard control unit", B&L? I do not recall a brown box on machine right on mine. How big is this brown box? I need to go look again......

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2014, 11:22:09 PM »
I didn't know about it tell yesterday when our DT started messing up. It controls the hazards and apparently something in the ignition system too. If you take your seat bucket out it's about half the size of a cigarette box right behind the rh side seat latch. Two green connectors going to it. You cash in plug it and test if that fixed your stalling issue.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()