Author Topic: Like 50  (Read 5273 times)

Steve

• View Profile
Like 50
« on: August 25, 2011, 08:36:38 PM »
previous comments removed
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 03:32:17 AM by Steve »

scootermaven

• View Profile
Re: DON'T BUY A LIKE 50(2T)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 09:58:53 PM »
Steve,

The KYMCO Like 50 2T is heavily restricted that way by law, a Federal requirement, so 50cc scoots are all supposed to be that way in the beginning without removing restrictions.  The laws have gotten more strict.  And, yes, they are dangerously slow without removing these restrictions.

When the scooters are shipped, they COME WITH the speed kit, which includes a non-restrictive variator bushing (boss drive, as you may have heard) and a larger carburetor jet.  Dealers usually charge between 80.00 and 100.00 to install these kits, depending on their labor rate.  It could be that your dealer may have had that part missing for some reason.

Sounds to me like you have a "dealer" problem, not a KYMCO USA problem.  Your dealer should have a non-restrictive variator bushing lying around OR could borrow one from another scooter OR take the restricted one on your scooter off and take it to a machine shop and have the restrictive area machined off.  Your dealer should also be able to take the main jet out that's in the carb now and drill it out with a carb jet drill bit to the size of the unrestricted main jet that comes with the scooter.

Don't be so hard on KYMCO, as they are stand-up, solid company.  I GUARANTEE your problem is the dealer, or at least based on what you have written about your situation thus far.  Don't believe everything your dealer is telling you.  BTW, how long has your KYMCO dealer been around?
I may be slower uphill, but I'm quicker at the gas pump!

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 04:40:37 AM »
Steve,

I currently have a 2011 KYMCO Like that was restricted when I purchased it and it topped-out at around 28 mph (indicated).  I know it's frustrating!  After replacing the restrictive boss drive and up-jetting, it now goes somewhere between 35 and 40 mph (indicated).

So, maybe it is a "KYMCO" problem and not a dealer problem.  If it is a KYMCO problem, then the dealer should have recognized this and just machined off the restrictive area on the boss drive, as it's not a big deal at all.  I've had it done on several KYMCO's over the years.  It cost me $10.00 for a machine shop to do the lathing job on the restricted boss drive.  I assure you that if you have a machine shop remove the restricted area on your boss drive that it will NOT void your warranty.  I have a perfectly good non-restrictive boss drive for a KYMCO Like that I can ship to you if you want it...10.00 plus shipping.

I have no idea why KYMCO wouldn't respond to your email, but they should have.  Who knows why they didn't.

Best of luck with this ordeal.

I may be slower uphill, but I'm quicker at the gas pump!

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:12:54 AM »
Scootermaven-
Thanks for your reply.
I know the scooters are supposed to be restricted. I have owned four 49 - 50cc scooters (including another KYMCO). However, none of them were restricted to top speeds of 23 mph (25 if you keep the throttle open all the way and head down hill). The law says 30mph. The kit you describe was NOT shipped with the bike. This is not a dealer problem. I have bought 3 of my scooters from this dealer, they have an excellent service department, and they bend over backwards to please their customers. They ordered the parts three weeks ago, and they received the larger jet, but have not obtained any response from KYMCO on why they can't get the other parts. The head of the service department told me that they have made multiple calls and sent numerous emails and get no response.
     I also sent an email to KYMCO USA about a month ago, and I didn't get a response either.
     Thanks for your suggestions, but I think the machine shop idea would probably void any warranty.

Steve, take my advice.

1. Forget about warranty, you would probably have problems claiming it with Kymco anyway in case that something goes wrong.
2. Buy yourself those few trinkets ("speed kit"), it should not be more than a few bucks.
3. Derestrict the scoot yourself, it should not take more than an hour and you will get to know the machine a bit better. You will find all needed info on this site, it is rather trivial procedure.
4. Enjoy the scoot

If you enter endless loop of emailing them you will just end up disappointed and angry, it is not worth it.
Unfortunately, most car/motorcycle companies are like that nowadays.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:15:04 AM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

netspeedo

• View Profile
Re: Like 50
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 10:50:58 AM »
i love my like 50, derestricted 2 people flat land 40 mph loaded 2 beach chairs and umbrella 35 to 38 . no difference with just me or me and my wife runs great couldnt be happier . large scooter with plenty of storage. the previous guy had  dealer problem the 82 jet and bushing comes with the scoot.
2011 like50 2t
tecnigas q-tre exaust
101 octane cone air filter
stock carb 100 main jet stock 35 pilot jet
molassi variator
8g dr. Pulley sliders
1000 rpm tourque spring

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
Re: Like 50
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 01:17:12 AM »
I'm going to jump into this thread as I have owned a Like 50 2t for a month now and I have some questions for scootermaven regarding derestrictions and mods short of a bbk.
For the record, when I got mine it had just over 2 km on it and I rolled over 1000km this past weekend. I do love it!
Now then, scootermaven, I have been researching exhausts and like the way the LeoVince looks on your Like. Is it LV model #4133 of the SP3 line?
Is the boss drive you refer to in the 'kymco top speed' thread the one that came with the Kymco 'speed kit'?
What did you do to make your air box restrictor free?
Which springs did you upgrade to? (I'm assuming the 1500 or 2000)
Do you still like the sliders in the Like? Are you still happy with the 7g's?
Was there a restrictor washer in your variator?
I am not stressing a top speed greater than 45, since most of the roads I travel are up to 35mph with the occasional 45. WHat I am concerned about is losing speed against strong winds and going up inclines. (My wife and I live in Vero Beach, FL and occasionally have to travel over a bridge to get to the barrier island. One of the bridges knocks me down to 18mph when crossing, another about 25mph, and the one we use most around 28-30mph. These speeds are when it is not windy)
After having made your changes, is it worth voiding the warranty?
Thanks in advance for any info/advice you can give.
sans scooter, rien

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()