Author Topic: Winter Riding - Safety Vs. Comfort  (Read 8411 times)

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Winter Riding - Safety Vs. Comfort
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 06:14:09 AM »
Welcome back word....

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 11:31:21 AM »
Yeah, likes been said, layers and layers. I wear my normal clothes then water/windproof camo trousers on top of my jeans and long johns, as well as my armoured leather bike jacket on my top half, under my M-65 US Army Parka ( designed for Arctic use). On my hands i wear my normal leather, armoured gloves but carry over mitts in my bag so if it gets too cold i can slip them on top. Also use a neck tube thing if its real bad out, the parka velcro's up well round the neck to keep out most wind.

Wearing all this i never really get cold at all on my way to work, 30min commute, and i still jave good freedom of movement. After crashing again last Monday on black ice i cant stress enough the protection offered by my leather armoured jacket under my big coat. Having had 4-5 wrecks now on bikes/scoots and on each occasion suffering zero road rash i wont really ride far without it on now. I mustve slid a good few yards along roads at various times and have been lucky not to have done myself any serious or lasting damage, thanks to wearing the correct gear.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 12:53:55 PM »
Still we haven't mentioned the first layer: the windshield (of the scooter)
Even at 0°C and 90kph there is a big difference with/out, as I noticed when the wind shield of my Suzuki UE125 CT has been vandalised.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 02:52:42 PM »
Still we haven't mentioned the first layer: the windshield (of the scooter)
Even at 0°C and 90kph there is a big difference with/out, as I noticed when the wind shield of my Suzuki UE125 CT has been vandalised.

I'd sooner freeze than look like a dork  :D

The Agility, which i have, looks bad with a huge screen imo so i couldnt feel happy fitting one. If you have a scoot which does suit a big screen however then go for it 100%.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 03:01:06 PM »
Hi TS,

I did a bad job with my question. In the states there is a strategy of taking a singe lane and to divide it into 3 sections -- the left side, the right side and the middle. Scooter/motorcycle riders are encourage to stay in a particular section depending on riding and road conditions.

For example, staying on the left side allows you to be seen by the side-view mirrors for large vehicles like trucks or buses, while keeping you visible for left hand turners in the opposing lane. Some prefer the middle because depending on the conditions  -- say on wet roads -- and the camber of the surface, it may be higher and dryer. Sometimes the right is preferred on curvy tracts of road because traffic in the opposing land tends to cross over the middle yellow line on tight turns.

If Scooter/motorcyclist are to stay mainly in the right lane in Europe are there specific tactics used for riding in those 3 sections of a single lane?

Great tips on the army cold weather gear everyone. There's an army surplus store close to where I work. I'll be sure to check them out as the coldest months -- January and February -- have yet to come.

Anyone have a reliable weather website that they consult? I use Yahoo weather, which I think is just linked to the Weather Channel's site, but the forecast are right about half of the time.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 03:24:48 PM »
If Scooter/motorcyclist are to stay mainly in the right lane in Europe are there specific tactics used for riding in those 3 sections of a single lane?
Yes, 2 major considerations:
Slow vehicles are urged (by law) to drive as far to the right as possible.
Whether in a particular situation snow/mud/garbage on the right rim make this (un)possible, is a favourite discussion topic with the officers. (Officers always winning.)
Faster vehicles (with flow of traffic) can use the whole width of the right lane. But the 2 cart tracks in many lanes, gully covers, road painting or the (usually parallel!) railway grooves of the cable cars, ... demand a flexible routing.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 04:07:12 PM »
My Yager has a small windshield that requires that I duck under it to get full protection. However, it does work in windy conditions. I'm cautious about large windshields because I'm not sure how much of a sail factor they bring to riding control especially in crosswinds. I also ride a full-face modular helmet so the winds have less of an affect and effect on my physically comfort and on my riding control as they would if I didn't. Here's a good article on the subject that compares and contrast the subject:

http://www.articlesbase.com/motorcycles-articles/motorcycle-windshields-advantages-and-disadvantages-494503.html

-Wolf

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 08:15:47 PM »
As for road position when riding, here in Scotland we drive on the left so you need to swap things around to suit your roads, we are told to ride just right of the centre of the lane unless turning left, so normally i will ride roughly where the drivers-side wheels run on the road if driving a car. That way the driver see's you i both his side and rear mirror, you avoid drains and crap at the side of the road, you are not too close to parked cars to get a door open in your face and have a better chance of avoiding any oedestrians who may step out onto the road from the pavement (may not affect you tho, i believe J-Walking is illegal in the US? Crazy). Riding off centre also means you can better take evasive action to avoid any car in front who decides to brake suddenly.

Least that was some of the reasons i was told.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Zimmerman

• ---------
  • Northeastern Pennsyvania USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 10:09:31 PM »
Streido,

That's perfect - I ride the same way for the same reasons.

In an earlier post you mentioned that you've had 5 or 6 scooter crashes.
Safety has been on my mind a lot lately. You & others have got me thinking.
Were any lessons learned from those accidents that the rest of us might benefit from?

For example, I've only worn clothing to stay warm - I'm thinking I've been pushing my luck all these years and it's high time I bought some armor riding gear.  I'm not getting any younger - my vision and reflexes can't be as good as they were 20 years ago. 
Plus back then I had to ride everywhere every day - that scoot and I were 'one.' Now I ride as often as I can but only for fun.

KZ
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 10:10:42 PM »
Jay-walking is illegal in most places, but it's only really enforced in California. If a pedestrain steps in to the road a driver must stop and let them pass. In New jersey  this only applies at cross walks -- but about half of all drivers really follow this law. In Philadelphia I've J-walked in front of cops, with cops, and walking behind cops. If you're not hit, no one cares.

Streido, thanks for the riding perspective from Scotland/UK. I had to turn my head a few time to get the orientation right, now it's all clear. In the US the consensus is to drive in the section of
the lane that allows you to be safe. This may vary depending on the road and driving conditions, and the weather. A 2-second following rule also plays a big part.

-Wolf

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 11:23:19 PM »
Yeah Wolf, i always leave plenty room in front now, prob about 2-3 secs usually,  but double the braking distance you allkw in tbe wet or if carrying a passenger. I learned the hard way after one spill when i was following the guy ahead one wet day and getting frustrated at his slow speed. I ended up closer than usual trying to hurry him along then he braked, i paniced then braked too, the front wheel locked up and slid on the wet tarmac and i was left laying on the road like a dick while he drove off (probably laughing at me). I always leave space to brake or manouver past now. I also try use the rear brake slightly stronger than the front, my theory being i can control a rear wheel skid normally but a front wheel skid rarely.

Im sure my last count was 5 spills all in over the years, all my fault except one where i was rear ended by a car at a junction. Most where due to stupidity,  inexperience, cheap tyres, pushing the bike/scoot too far, or riding in conditions i had no business riding in. Glad to say none have been real serious (touch wood), most only gave me bruising, swelling and sprains and strains. So far!. I learned something from every one of them and ride totally different to how i used to when i was younger and stupider, well usually, i still like to go a little stupid now and again for the thrills. I just do my dangerous riding a little more safely these days  :D

Leather and Armour is my saviour. The jacket i still use now has slid along at least 2-3 roads with me on my back and is still fine, no tears, no rips or damage at all really. 1st time i crashed and got up i took off my nice new leather jacket almost in tears cks i had only had it a few weeks and i assumed it would be torn to shreds by the road, it wasnt tho, a good quality leather will last years and years. I wear mine every day, just the leather in summer, leather and a thin waterproof over it for showers or light wind, and leather under my M-65 Parka in heavy rain or wind or when its just damned cold  :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 11:24:56 PM by streido »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 02:31:56 PM »
Streido, your the vetern scooter rider with the scars to show it! It's amazing what a difference a good riding jacket will do -- whether armor or leather. I still shake my head when I see guys riding Harleys in bermuda shorts, T-shirts, and flip-flops.

Another good thing about the 2-second rule is the time it gives you to react to road hazards. This is true if you're behind a truck, SUV, or bus and can't see what's on the road ahead. The 2 seconds is the minimum time you need (in theory) to react to potholes, open or loose manhole covers, or objects. The most common are road aligators - blown out tire parts, to bottles, and cans. The worst I've experieced are hub caps, tree branches, to a full size mattress. The one that still makes me think at night was a large sheet of carboard that was laying in the road during a rain fall. It was soaked, swollen and looked to be as slippery as a banna. I almost hit it coming around a curve doing 40.

I see scooter riders in city traffic who ride too close behind a bus thinking that they can hit their brakes faster than a large size vehicles. They forget they can't see what's on the road until it's too late. 

Anyone know of a good way to treat a leather jacket that's been in the rain?

-Wolf

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 06:09:16 PM »
 I still shake my head when I see guys riding Harleys in bermuda shorts, T-shirts, and flip-flops. 

I admit that on holiday i have hired a scoot in the past and riden just like that (no flip-flops tho, i like my toes). If i lived in a warm, sunny climate i really doubt i would wear much for short commutes around town. Would def wear leather/leather armour for highway or longer riding tho even if it was warm and sunny. Stupid? Probably  :D

Anyone know of a good way to treat a leather jacket that's been in the rain? 

I normally just let mine dry out naturally over the back of a kitchen chair. Usually if i hang it there when i get in from work at 4:30pm then its dry for when i leave in the morning at 6:50am. If its really soaked tho i will move the chair over by the radiator in the kitchen to jelp dry it off. I would just hang it on the rad but i heard that drying out leather too quickly can damage it, may be true, may not be. Like i said tho i normally wear some other jacket on top of my leather if its raining, small light showers i wont bother,but rain or a longer ride in the wet and i do.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

de-dee

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 08:25:11 PM »
I let my jacket dry then I rub MINK OIL into the leather takes over a hour to do it proper,. my jacket is over 30 years old and after I mink it it looks like new also do your boots, it takes two or three days for the oil to penitrate in to the leather ,.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »
Striedo,

I think we've all worn the t-shirts and shorts in hot weather, but doing it on a 900 pound + bike is another thing -- that's more of what I meant.

De-dee, thanks for the advise on the mink oil. I'm now adding it to my Christmas list.

-Wolf

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()