Author Topic: 2014 Super 8 150 muffler vibration issue...  (Read 680 times)

Pelican

• View Profile
2014 Super 8 150 muffler vibration issue...
« on: May 04, 2016, 04:45:45 AM »
I recently had my original muffler replaced under warranty because it broke cleanly in half on the thinner neck pipe, but anyways my new muffler has a serious vibration issue at 30-58 mph, also when I accelerate quickly, it drowns out the engine noise, I've narrowed it down to the heat shield, it moves and vibrates and I can't get it to stop, I've tried stuffing some foil between the plate and muffler to put pressure on it, it worked! for about ten minutes until it vibrated out, please someone tell me that they're having this issue and possibly a fix because it's driving me insane!

wkreps

• View Profile
Re: 2014 Super 8 150 muffler vibration issue...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 05:04:56 PM »
My heat shield vibrates also. Those rubber grommets wear out little by little and it starts moving around. I've been frustrated with this also as it is a hot part and you just can't shim it with anything you please. Also there is no way to to put a locking nut on the back side because you can't get to it to hold it. I did get some new rubber grommets and fiberglass washers from Carter at Columbia Scooters but alas, those have worn out too. I'm just shy of removing the shield for good but I just can't stand the looks of it. I guess the next step is to try stainless steel washers and a locking washer up against the muffler side so that it will hold once and for all. Haven't tried any locket yet but I know some of them loosen with heat. Bad design as far as I'm concerned because the holes in the shield are so large because of the rubber grommets, it's hard to find a real fix. If you come up with anything, let me know.
Wayne

Pelican

• View Profile
Re: 2014 Super 8 150 muffler vibration issue...
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 07:34:51 PM »
I've taken three felt casters, used locktite to glue them together, then I wrapped them in tin foil to reflect the heat, it worked for a short time, it's a matter of finding the right spot to where it puts enough pressure so that it cannot move anymore, then use more locktite on the shield side so that it doesn't loosen from the high muffler heat, perhaps adding one more or slicing one more faster in half may do the trick, I don't know, I will fix this eventually.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()