Author Topic: SHOCK POSITION? 450 SIDE BY  (Read 3683 times)

dlongo

• View Profile
SHOCK POSITION? 450 SIDE BY
« on: April 15, 2017, 12:35:14 PM »
HOW EASY IS IT TO MOVE THE FRONT SHOCK POSITION AND DOES IT HELP WITH GROUND CLEARANCE OR CHANGE THE RIDE OR TURNING RADIUS. DO YOU THEN MOVE THE REAR SHOCK POSITION?

ANYTHING HELP ABILITY TO TURN BETTER?

LOOKING FOR ALITTLE MORE CLEARANCE.

THANKS!!!!

airshot

• View Profile
Re: SHOCK POSITION? 450 SIDE BY
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 03:47:23 PM »
    Some on this forum have done the shocks and from their posts it appears there were no problems. Do keep in mind that raising the machine higher can make it more top heavy if you ride on any steep hills or corner hard. Also remember that when raising the machine it increases the angle on the drive axles and puts more stress on the CV joints and could cause a shorter life span on those. On my machine I just adjusted the shock springs all the way up to put maximum preload and gives me a full 10" plus on ground clearance. With the riding I do I have rarely bottomed out. Unfortunately the machine has a bit larger turn radius than most people expect but I have learned to live with it. According to the factory rep I spoke with they did that intentionally to lessen the stress and strain on the CV joints and rubber boots. With a tighter turn radius the joints and boot are more exposed to possible damage in rough terrain.  Do keep us posted on the new ride....pics are something we like!!

k9bitten

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 06:51:23 PM »
Easy to move. Jack up, pull one bolt, move to the outer position. It gives about an extra inch or so and no issues with handling. Radial tires will greatly improve steering effort. I run 26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0. They are radial and fairly lightweight. They give additional clearance and really lightened the steering.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 08:32:39 PM by k9bitten »

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 02:51:52 AM »
Beatiful day to get the 450 a little dirty! I'm very impressed at the way this machine handles and you won't find a better UTV for the money

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

k9bitten

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 10:44:28 PM »
Great pics Kurt. I like your riding posse. I think I'll move south lol

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 01:01:45 AM »
     Nice looking group, with that many it appears you need to buy another UTV!!

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 04:50:05 AM »
Ya it was pretty funny. I had three people sitting in the bed of the Kymco with my wife and I in the front. And it carried all of us with no problems. Even went up a pretty steep hill with no issues. Needless to say I was impressed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

GillesR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 12:49:38 PM »
Hi, I moved the front shocks to the next position and had no issues, the tires sat nice and straight, but now the rear of the machine looked low so I did the same to the rear, but the rear tires sit on an angle, the top of the tires lean out, or the bottom of the tires tuck in.
Any advice as to it will ruin the tires or if this is ok.
Thanks for your support.
Gilles

GillesR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 01:05:50 PM »
Easy to move. Jack up, pull one bolt, move to the outer position. It gives about an extra inch or so and no issues with handling. Radial tires will greatly improve steering effort. I run 26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0. They are radial and fairly lightweight. They give additional clearance and really lightened the steering.

have you raised the rear also, if so, any problems with the angle of the tires?
Thanks
Gilles

poorboy1964

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 02:05:01 PM »
Hi, I moved the front shocks to the next position and had no issues, the tires sat nice and straight, but now the rear of the machine looked low so I did the same to the rear, but the rear tires sit on an angle, the top of the tires lean out, or the bottom of the tires tuck in.
Any advice as to it will ruin the tires or if this is ok.
Thanks for your support.
Gilles

hi I do not have the 450 but that does not seam right, Did you disconnect your rear sway bar I've heard that you have to to get the shocks to move out?

GillesR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 02:43:59 PM »
Nothing was disconnected, it was done exactly like the front, thanks for replying

poorboy1964

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 04:42:52 PM »
Make sure the rear shocks are not binding on the swaybar. hopefully one of the 450 guys will pop on to give you some advise

jew8201

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 03:30:02 AM »
There is no way on the 450i to move the rear shocks to the outward mounting position without completely removing the sway bar. Your shocks have got to be in one awful bind...anyway you could snap a pic and post so we can see what your working with here an talking about. But I am almost 99.9% sure that those rear shocks can't be mowed out with the sway bar still intact.  On a side note this reminds me I've got To move my front shocks out. I've yet to get that done!!

alive307

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 04:25:37 PM »
Just lifted mine not to long ago, no way to move the back shocks out with out removing the sway bar. Even after the relocate the sway bar will not go back on.

kickstart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »
My sway bar is hanging on the wall in my shop, gained about 3" and don't notice any difference except it appears to steer a little better.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()