Author Topic: My Like is in the shop  (Read 9373 times)

91cavgt

• View Profile
Re: My Like is in the shop
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 11:49:09 PM »
I got a call yesterday stating that Kymco released the scooter so I can come pick it up (we were waiting to see if Kymco wanted the dealership to do any work in regards to the engine codes).  So I went by this afternoon and picked it up.  The service guy told me that I didn't have a reciept because it was all done in the computer.  I asked for one and the service guy told me they couldn't give me one.  I didn't like that but I had family waiting on me with groceries in the car so I had to leave. 

I fill up at the closest gas station and headed out.  After riding only 8 miles the check engine light came back on again and the hesitation came back.  Great.  But, I needed to go home and help unload groceries.  After a bit, the scooter started to run decent again and the check engine light went out. 

So, tomorrow I have a job interview so I will be riding my Like in town, which is where it had the most difficulty.  If it gives me problems again tomorrow then I am going to take it back to the dealer and demand a reciept for the "work" that they did (the service guy told me all they did was reset the check engine light). 
2012 Like 200i  in black

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 12:04:06 AM »
I got a call yesterday stating that Kymco released the scooter so I can come pick it up (we were waiting to see if Kymco wanted the dealership to do any work in regards to the engine codes).  So I went by this afternoon and picked it up.  The service guy told me that I didn't have a reciept because it was all done in the computer.  I asked for one and the service guy told me they couldn't give me one.  I didn't like that but I had family waiting on me with groceries in the car so I had to leave. 

I fill up at the closest gas station and headed out.  After riding only 8 miles the check engine light came back on again and the hesitation came back.  Great.  But, I needed to go home and help unload groceries.  After a bit, the scooter started to run decent again and the check engine light went out. 

So, tomorrow I have a job interview so I will be riding my Like in town, which is where it had the most difficulty.  If it gives me problems again tomorrow then I am going to take it back to the dealer and demand a reciept for the "work" that they did (the service guy told me all they did was reset the check engine light). 
Good luck 91,
Keep us posted.....all of us LIKE owners follow these threads closely!
I am not totally up to speed on the computers of these things, but can YOU get the code blinks from the scoot so YOU can check the on-line service manuals for what the issue might be?
Again, good luck!
Stig
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 12:07:24 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 12:40:44 AM »
Good luck 91,
Keep us posted.....all of us LIKE owners follow these threads closely!
I am not totally up to speed on the computers of these things, but can YOU get the code blinks from the scoot so YOU can check the on-line service manuals for what the issue might be?
Again, good luck!
Stig

The service rep told me that there were 3 codes this last time.  2 of them were in regards to throttle position not being right and the other code was something about the motor running too rich. 

As far as checking the codes myself, I have not heard about a way that we can pull the codes up ourselves. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 06:58:55 PM »
The on-line service manual for the LIKE 200i with Cyclepedia has a topic listing: FI System Self-Diagnosis, and a sub topic: Self Diagnosis Procedures.
They show you how to get the codes using just the scoot and list 25 different Failure Codes, with description & "Fault Management"
I purhcased a life-time manual from them for @ $40 shortly after my scoot was delivered. I always obtain a manual on all my vehicles.
Disconnecting the battery clears, loses, the stored failure codes the manual says.
Stig

Sample page from Cyclepedia
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 07:19:11 PM »
Well, I wasn't able to check the codes this morning.  I went for a job interview, and on the way back home it started to hesitate again.  Next thing I know the check engine light comes on so I turn and head to the dealer.  About 2 miles from the dealer the scooter just falls on it's face and feels like I lifted off the throttle doing 35 mph.  Luckily, the guy tailgating me was paying attention and so he didn't hit me, but it could have been a VERY bad situation.  After quickly dropping 5 mph, it picks right back up again.  So I baby it to the dealer, and as I pull into the dealership the scooter stalls.  It has never stalled on me before. 

So, once again it is back at the dealership to get repaired. 

After I dropped it off I found that the dealer will rent a scooter to you if yours is in the shop.  They only had 1 model to rent.  A Kymco Downtown 300i for $25 a day!  If I had a job I would have rented it, but I have a feeling I'll be going back to the dealership if I get this new job and renting the 300i for a few days to see how I like it. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 08:57:11 PM »
Sounds like a good dealer to have.  I'd love to rent a DT300 for a day.

Scoot safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 06:13:48 PM »
I finally got an update from the dealer just now.  Big surprise, once again the computer is throwing throttle position sensor codes.  At this point, once again, they are waiting on Kymco to tell them what to do.  He is not sure if the TPS sensor is seperate from the throttle body as well as the computer and he would then be able to just order a TPS sensor, or if the entire throttle body and/or computer will have to be replaced. 

I hope they get this fixed soon as I just got a job that is 10 miles away.  My Like gets a LOT better fuel economy than what my truck gets.   
2012 Like 200i  in black

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 11:03:29 PM »
I finally got an update from the dealer just now.  Big surprise, once again the computer is throwing throttle position sensor codes.  At this point, once again, they are waiting on Kymco to tell them what to do.  He is not sure if the TPS sensor is seperate from the throttle body as well as the computer and he would then be able to just order a TPS sensor, or if the entire throttle body and/or computer will have to be replaced. 

I hope they get this fixed soon as I just got a job that is 10 miles away.  My Like gets a LOT better fuel economy than what my truck gets.   
Congrats on landing the J O B !
The scoot will be sorted out....you'll see.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 11:30:30 PM »
After not hearing anything from my dealer, I called them a few minutes ago to get a status update on my Like.  Well, nothing has changed since the last time I talked to them, 6 days ago.  Supposedly, they are still waiting on Kymco to give them a call to let them know what they need to do. 

It has now been 3 weeks that my Like has been at the shop, and I still don't have an ETA as to when it will be fixed, or even what needs to be done to fix it.  Needless to say, I'm not happy.  I start work tomorrow and I need to drive my truck that gets 13 mpg.  I bought my Like to save money on fuel, but if I can't ride it then it is costing me money that I can't afford.
2012 Like 200i  in black

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 11:56:16 PM »
It has now been 3 weeks that my Like has been at the shop, and I still don't have an ETA as to when it will be fixed, or even what needs to be done to fix it.
The downside of fuel injection!  If you eventually decide to look for another ride, include the Sym RV200 in your research . . which has both a carburetor and a kick-start lever.

200i

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 12:42:12 AM »
Don't sound like the dealer is trying very hard...this will be interesting to monitor since we will all be there eventually.   Good luck..sorry!!

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 03:30:58 AM »
May not be relevant to your problem, but an interesting read . . Honda Elite 110 malfunction indicator light issue.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 11:16:58 PM »
EFI.
I'm a big fan of fuel injection - as my VW mechanics explained to me when I went from a bug to a Rabbit, (Jetta, Golf, & then Vanagon): "EFI ain't rocket science - it is dead simple to diagnose issues."
 And over the next 40 yrs of driving EFI cars - I never had to replace a part that cost more than a few bucks - and learned which symptoms were caused by which failed $8 sensor, every few years.
Maybe it is just that Bosch EFI is fool proof - but also have 200K+ miles on a couple of EFI'd Japanese cars with no  issues.
I have certainly read posts from a lot of people who are trying to sus their carbed scooters.
Have of late decided that sorting carb issues is often more art than science.

That the Kymco LIKE 200 had that "i" tacked on there was a big selling point for me - as i plan to commute to work in cold, heat and rain....and need this thing to fire without fail.
Admittedly no small engine expert here...........
Still
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 12:47:56 AM »
Well said Stig! ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 01:43:28 AM »
EFI.
I'm a big fan of fuel injection - as my VW mechanics explained to me when I went from a bug to a Rabbit, (Jetta, Golf, & then Vanagon): "EFI ain't rocket science - it is dead simple to diagnose issues."
 And over the next 40 yrs of driving EFI cars - I never had to replace a part that cost more than a few bucks - and learned which symptoms were caused by which failed $8 sensor, every few years.
Maybe it is just that Bosch EFI is fool proof - but also have 200K+ miles on a couple of EFI'd Japanese cars with no  issues.
I have certainly read posts from a lot of people who are trying to sus their carbed scooters.
Have of late decided that sorting carb issues is often more art than science.

That the Kymco LIKE 200 had that "i" tacked on there was a big selling point for me - as i plan to commute to work in cold, heat and rain....and need this thing to fire without fail.
Admittedly no small engine expert here...........
Still

I agree Stig.  I am a mechanic by trade, but a large truck/bus mechanic.  EFI is incredibly simple to direct you to the right direction where you can then easily do some basic tests to confirm if particular sensors are causing your problems or if it is something else (like a wire harness or a bad ground or a bad connection).  This is what is causing me to not be happy with what is going on.  It should take less than a day for the shop to find out what the scooter needs, contact Kymco, and then wait for their response, which they say is what they have done. 

However, the first time that I dropped my Like off for a warranty repair (which was the first time in this thread), the scooter was diagnosed, parts were ordered and received, and I had it back fixed in about 2 weeks.  If it took this other dealership 2 weeks turn around time, then why has it taken the current dealership 9 days to reset the check engine light, then another 2 weeks to try to find out what parts are needed or what they actually need to do to fix it?  I just don't understand. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()