Author Topic: variator comments & question  (Read 971 times)

Abner_Bjorn

• 5280 Scooter Group Rides on FB
    • View Profile
variator comments & question
« on: March 14, 2014, 11:02:50 PM »
I just pulled the variator cover on my 2012 Like.  The scooter has about 1500 miles on it.  The first 1000 were kept to under 40 mph.  The stock rollers had quite a bit of wear.  Every roller has flat spots.  I weighed them on a digital scale.  They came in at 13.8 grams.   The paper variator cover gasket came off in pieces.   With all the air inlets on the cover, I'm not sure why there is a gasket there.  I will probably clean both surfaces and put it back together with no gasket.   I am replacing the stock rollers with Dr. Pulley sliders.   I have a Yamaha C3 with sliders in it.  They have over 12,000 miles on them.  They are showing minor wear, and have not lost a bit of performance.   In my opinion best upgrade you can do.       
Can someone please give me a torque setting for the variator nut?  The free manual I got online tells me 93.1 N-m which is over 68 foot pounds.  This seems excessive by about 20 pounds.   If someone can help me out with a number, I would be grateful.   
Less chit chat, more riding.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: variator comments & question
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 11:41:00 PM »
Hello Wall,

Yep, checked the cyclepedia service manual. It says to coat the threads with a "light coat of oil" and torque to 68 ft pounds. I swear I've read of scooter owners using blue locktight on this nut - which is NOT oiling it!
I purchased a new cover gasket when I made my first order for spare parts - I also wonder why it has a gasket....did you find the cover hard to pry off?
If possible, please show pics of the used rollers.
And, what weight Dr Pulleys are you installing?
When it warms up here - will be doing this myself.
Thanks for your input!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Abner_Bjorn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 12:05:53 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.   That setting is over 20 lbs higher than the variator nut on a SYM HD200.    The only thing harder than the variator cover to get off was the lower side skirt.   I had to pry the variator cover off by using an 8" ratchet extension leveraged on the rear shock and resting against the back tab on the variator cover.   I'll clean the stock rollers up and try and get a good picture.  Thanks again. 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 12:11:09 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.   That setting is over 20 lbs higher than the variator nut on a SYM HD200.    The only thing harder than the variator cover to get off was the lower side skirt.   I had to pry the variator cover off by using an 8" ratchet extension leveraged on the rear shock and resting against the back tab on the variator cover.   I'll clean the stock rollers up and try and get a good picture.  Thanks again. 
I found a picture showing the official 'pry tabs' for getting the cover off....and that lower body panel removal info I found on a video of a guy changing his airfilter on a LIKE. He showed the screws to remove  and said it must then be slid a 1/4 inch to the side to release the tabs.
Thanks for keeping us all posted!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Abner_Bjorn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 07:54:02 PM »
Here is a photo of my stock roller w/ 1500 miles.   Flat spot is at 12:00.   I replaced these with 12 gram Sliders.    My experience with sliders tells me it takes 2 to 3 hundred miles for them to really loosen up.   

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()