Author Topic: Can't find the "wear bands" to tell if my tire is wornout? See pic  (Read 3741 times)

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
No wear bands showing must be ok?  - Just Kidding.  More interesting title than "wear report: Avon Viper Stryke".

PaulC

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Can't find the "wear bands" to tell if my tire is wornout? See pic
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 05:14:16 AM »
Whooooooo buddy hahaha
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 08:52:28 AM »
Whooooooo buddy hahaha

Changing that tire was such a pain in the butt I wish I put another 1000 mi on it.  But, last night on the way home I road in some light rain on the highway.  So today I thought it's best not press my luck.
PaulC

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »
I wouldn't take a bald tire over 35mph. I've seen customers explode them on the freeway. No much more than a mm of rubber holding it together.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 04:08:32 PM »
8k is what I got on an Avon Viper Styke. Where didja get the Mich for $45?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 04:14:01 PM »
8k is what I got on an Avon Viper Styke. Where didja get the Mich for $45?

Karl

It was actually about $48 with tax and shipping.

Motorcycle Super Store - great prices and they ship FAST:

Michelin Pilot Power Pure SC Rear Tire
Color- Black, Size- 140/70-12
SKU#401636   Approved   $49.99   1   
   $49.99
Michelin City Grip Front Tire
Color- Black, Size- 120/70-12
SKU#256814   Approved   $48.99   1   
   $48.99

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/
PaulC

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 04:18:25 PM »
That was FAST! Thanks! Shoulda known it was MCSS. I have had the same experience with other items. Good guys and gals. Very helpful.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 02:55:59 AM »
My OEM back tire was showing the second layer of cords by the time I replaced it with an Avon Viper Stryke. Didn't want to ride it to that point, but after it started showing even the smallest bit of cord in one tiny spot, it wore very quickly (a few days) after that until cord was showing most of the way around the tire and the second layer of cord was showing in spots.

A couple questions:
1) Did you have problems putting your front Avon Viper Stryke on, like it was a tiny bit too small for the rim? I had a heck of a time getting mine on, and getting it to seat the bead.

2) What's the longest-wearing scooter tire?

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 05:56:02 AM »
My OEM back tire was showing the second layer of cords by ...

The problem is that the 13" rim size is super difficult to change.  Traditionally, vespa rims could be dissembled making tube patching and tire replacement a piece of cake.  Kymco People 250 and other rides with motorcycle sizes and rims are much easier to change.  I did my off-road knobby tires and they were like changing a bicycle tire - piece of cake. 

A couple questions:
1) Did you have problems putting your front Avon Viper Stryke on, like it was a tiny bit too small for the rim? I had a heck of a time getting mine on, and getting it to seat the bead.

2) What's the longest-wearing scooter tire?

WOW! and I though I was 'bad'. 

1. Yes.  It is a real SOB to get these tires on the rim.  I used so much force with a motorcycle tire iron I started to bend the tool!  The final pry to get it on the rim.  Also the center is too small for the harbor freight tire changer which I bought.  I will need to customize it with my welder.  I changed the rear tire which was worn more than the front and the lower bolt hole broke off when I removed the exhaust so I had to wast time repairing the exhaust (again).  Spent about 2.5 hours total on the rear tire change including removing the rime and reinstalling it.

2. Not the Avon ViperStryke.  I went with Michelin this time from motorcycle store:

Michelin Pilot Power Pure SC Rear Tire
Color- Black, Size- 140/70-12
SKU#401636   $49.99

Michelin City Grip Front Tire
Color- Black, Size- 120/70-12
SKU#256814   $48.99

Good luck and post your results.

PaulC

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 10:01:52 PM »
I didn't have a problem with the rear Avon Viper Stryke. It slipped on almost too easily. I didn't even have to use a tire iron to get the second half of the tire over the rim, just pushed down on it with my hands.

The front tire, though... you'd swear it was actually a 12" tire trying to be fit on a 13" rim. Had to use a high-volume air compressor to fill the tire because the bead wouldn't seat and the Costco air compressor wouldn't blow enough air.

I had to fill the tire to 60 PSI, and even then, only one side of the tire popped out and seated the bead, the other side just sat there not moving. It had soapy water on the tire and rim, too. It only seated after I got angry and gave the tire a swift kick. Then I lowered it to 40 PSI and took it home to balance it.

I think for the next set of tires, I'll go with the Michelin Power Pure SC tires. It's a dual compound tire, so it's grippy in the twisties, and long-wearing in the straights.

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 10:22:17 PM »
I didn't have a problem with the rear Avon Viper Stryke. It slipped on almost too easily. I didn't even have to use a tire iron to get the second half of the tire over the rim, just pushed down on it with my hands.

You might want to verify that the rear tire is the correct size.  Exactly, what you described for the front - but for the rear and front on my scoot it was like the tire was too small.

Tip for seating the bead:
1. the inner valve must be unscrewed and a special fitting used to blow the air in otherwise can't get the air in fast enough.
2. you can use a "belt" around the tire basically either a ratcheting strap (the kind used to strap down stuff in the back of a trailer or pickup truck) to force the tire to flatten and reduce air escaping in the bead area OR a bicycle cable lock  or rope around the tire and put a stick in there and rotate it to so the rope / cable winds around it the stick and tightens on the tire - then blow air in.  Used this method on my scoot, a tubeless wheelbarrow and dump truck tire.

PaulC

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 02:25:11 PM »
Some times just squeezing down on the tire so the top and bottom are expanded is enough to seat it on the rim, while putting air in it of course.

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 02:18:56 AM »
You might want to verify that the rear tire is the correct size.  Exactly, what you described for the front - but for the rear and front on my scoot it was like the tire was too small.

Tip for seating the bead:
1. the inner valve must be unscrewed and a special fitting used to blow the air in otherwise can't get the air in fast enough.
2. you can use a "belt" around the tire basically either a ratcheting strap (the kind used to strap down stuff in the back of a trailer or pickup truck) to force the tire to flatten and reduce air escaping in the bead area OR a bicycle cable lock  or rope around the tire and put a stick in there and rotate it to so the rope / cable winds around it the stick and tightens on the tire - then blow air in.  Used this method on my scoot, a tubeless wheelbarrow and dump truck tire.

Yeah, they're both the right sizes... I wonder if Avon is having issues with variation in size during production.

I didn't try #2 above. I'll remember that the next time I change the tire. Good tip.

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 04:03:46 AM »
Yeah, they're both the right sizes... I wonder if Avon is having issues with variation in size during production.

I didn't try #2 above. I'll remember that the next time I change the tire. Good tip.

Regarding the size, I don't see how that could be the case. I mean the stuff all comes out of a factor. Eventually will be running scooters with full sized motorcycle rims 
PaulC

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 07:21:06 PM »
Avon Viper Stryke Front tire changed with 9,200 miles and 2 3/4 years old.  It had crazy cupping / scalloping which I blame the light front end which shakes at certain speeds if you take you hands off the handlebars at certain speeds.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 07:28:52 PM by mrbios »
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()