Author Topic: Will scoots ever be the main means of transport in Western countries?  (Read 8200 times)

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Will scoots ever be the main means of transport in Western countries?
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2014, 09:29:26 AM »
And you made that AMC Gremlin!!! Hahahahahahaha!!!!!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2014, 09:30:42 AM »
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
don't think so but,
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2014, 02:54:34 PM »
If the world is really running out of oil, scooters will play a bigger part in everyday transportation.
On top of that, the performance of modern scooters has improve dramaticly. People are beginning to discover this.
Personally, I think scooters sales will slowely increase in years to come for various reasons.
We have two scooters in our family. That says something.

Serious pollution problems may come into play in years to come which should also help scooter sales.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 02:58:37 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2014, 05:09:17 PM »
I agree Boo... ;)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2014, 05:15:45 PM »
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mom drove a yellow AMC Pacer w/ wood grain doors... Sigh!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2014, 06:26:44 PM »
I don't think scooters will ever be as big, here in the States, as they are in Europe and Asia for a couple of reasons.

3.  Finally (and this is just my goofy brain at work), I think a lot of Americans don't ride scooters, because there is NO scooter on the market that says Harley Davidson on it!
If Harley designed, and built a motorscooter, there would be American buyers lined up out the door to buy one! Granted, half of them wouldn't start and the other half would spend more time broke down on the side of the road than actually being ridden, but American buyers would buy them, just because it would be something new and different from the "Mother Company".
But that's just my opinion! ;)

Duke- 8)

FYI-- Despite the way it sounds....NO, I don't have anything personal against Harley Davidson! I have MANY friends who are Harley guys. Harley was just the easiest, and most obvious example to use!  :D

Oh but HD did make a scooter or 2 in it's day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Topper

http://www.usscootermuseum.com/topper.htm

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2014, 07:11:57 PM »
It looks like one of the "soap box derby" vehicles. No wonder scooters suck in America.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2014, 02:52:23 PM »
Oh but HD did make a scooter or 2 in it's day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Topper

http://www.usscootermuseum.com/topper.htm

Yeah, I've seen that before. From all I've ever read about them, they were crap! Harley never really looked that direction again.
Maybe, if their new 750cc and 500cc bikes get a following, they might think about the scooter idea again. But I won't hold my breath on that one!  ;D

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2014, 06:02:27 PM »
If they put out horizontal engine dirt trackers... I'd be interested. You can't buy one of the originals for less than 20g's now.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2014, 06:39:53 PM »
Yeah, I've seen that before. From all I've ever read about them, they were crap! Harley never really looked that direction again.
Maybe, if their new 750cc and 500cc bikes get a following, they might think about the scooter idea again. But I won't hold my breath on that one!  ;D

Duke- 8)

If I remember right they even "Badged" a moped back in the 70's.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2014, 07:03:08 PM »
In my opinion, scooters will never be the main means of transport in the U.S. There are certain regions where it becomes too cold to ride in the winter months. Cities such as Los Angeles, CA, Seattle, WA, Portland, Ore, San Francisco, CA, and Austin, TX will always welcome scooters. I know that Austin has two scooter rallies every year which says something about the influence of them. I know here in Vegas, scooters will never be accepted as a an alternative means of transport. Now that the weather is nice, I have been riding my 125 scoot to work over the last few days and I still get no respect from the drivers here. I will be in the left lane and the cars behind me will either go into the center, or right traffic lanes. It does not matter that my bike can easily keep up with traffic. The general public wants scooters off the road. I ride because I love riding my scooter.

Another factor is reputation and lack of education on scooters. Those who ride in their cages have never rode any two wheel vehicle unless they rode a 10 speed bicycle. When I first rode my 50cc scooter, I was scared sh**less because their was no protection. In the car, there is protection from the elements. With scooters, one is exposed to the elements which they cannot control. When I started to ride, I actually enjoyed riding. It was so much fun. If the public would actually take the time to experience the joy of riding on two wheels, then scooters would be respected. Since the cagers have not been on a two wheel motor bike, they think they those who ride are so poor that this is all they can afford which is not true. I have my car, but I prefer taking the scooter over the bike. I love the power of just twisting the throttle and away I go in just seconds. This is a natural high for me.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2014, 08:30:17 PM »
Quote: KingKymco
" This is a natural high for me."

The heart of the matter. Motorcycles/scooters/skateboards/surfboards/snow skis, and custom bicycles. In that order. It's a natural high. 8)

Cars are too dangerous.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2014, 04:47:52 AM »

There are no real rules in transportation guys... you can ride a cow, a horse, or a hummer if you want.... decisions on what to ride just happen.... depending on your wants or needs... too cold? wear a jacket... slippery? slow down... too hot? get a t-shirt...  ;)

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2014, 11:09:11 AM »
In my opinion, scooters will never be the main means of transport in the U.S. There are certain regions where it becomes too cold to ride in the winter months. Cities such as Los Angeles, CA, Seattle, WA, Portland, Ore, San Francisco, CA, and Austin, TX will always welcome scooters. I know that Austin has two scooter rallies every year which says something about the influence of them. I know here in Vegas, scooters will never be accepted as a an alternative means of transport. Now that the weather is nice, I have been riding my 125 scoot to work over the last few days and I still get no respect from the drivers here. I will be in the left lane and the cars behind me will either go into the center, or right traffic lanes. It does not matter that my bike can easily keep up with traffic. The general public wants scooters off the road. I ride because I love riding my scooter.

Another factor is reputation and lack of education on scooters. Those who ride in their cages have never rode any two wheel vehicle unless they rode a 10 speed bicycle. When I first rode my 50cc scooter, I was scared sh**less because their was no protection. In the car, there is protection from the elements. With scooters, one is exposed to the elements which they cannot control. When I started to ride, I actually enjoyed riding. It was so much fun. If the public would actually take the time to experience the joy of riding on two wheels, then scooters would be respected. Since the cagers have not been on a two wheel motor bike, they think they those who ride are so poor that this is all they can afford which is not true. I have my car, but I prefer taking the scooter over the bike. I love the power of just twisting the throttle and away I go in just seconds. This is a natural high for me.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  Scooters in this country are sometimes referred to as mopeds (a completely different breed) and motorcycles "have" to be "Harleys" to qualify as a bike at all.  However that being said at one time in the USA you would never consider buying a foreign car.  Or be caught dead in a car other than black, white, or navy.  Times change, people become more open to ideas.  I still think a combination of everything we've discussed so far will lead to scooters being more accepted in the USA. 

Once again however I don't see them becoming the "primary" vehicle in the market.
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

wdcwdc

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2014, 01:30:35 PM »
I live in Belgium (Western Europe - in between France and Germany),
and i bought a big scoot for the following reasons:
- avoid traffic jams
- less fuel consumption
- large storage capabilities
- no parking fee
- subjective feeling of freedom

I use it both for work and off-work. No touring - i dont see the point.
As others here, the car i use maybe 5%.

I miss on the highway a seperate line when traffic jam.
I miss a roof like the BMW C1 - one that would be fast and easy to take on/off.

For cold weather i use electrical clothing from Gerbing & have driven effortless subzero.

Its a shame to see in the trafficjams 75% of the cars are being occupied solo and whitout serious luggage.

The car is more luxourious and therefore will stay most popular cause people are lazy.

I aspire a whole new set of traffic rules but thats another post...

Not sure if all of this is on-topic but in sum i would say it will increase and espicially electrical.

regards

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()