Author Topic: 6 month old and 500 miles. Is this rust normal?  (Read 1713 times)

Moonwreck

• View Profile
6 month old and 500 miles. Is this rust normal?
« on: April 30, 2018, 12:30:02 PM »
Hello Community,
As the title says it: 6 month old and 500 miles. Is this rust normal? (See attach pics)
I wonder if there any way to get rid and prevent the rust advancing?
Thanks

Moonwreck

• View Profile
Re: 6 month old and 500 miles. Is this rust normal?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 12:30:49 PM »
I got  second picture. See attach

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 01:54:01 PM »
I have had similar experience when I rode in rain, did not hose off the bike and let the bike sit over the winter.  I suspect that storing the bike outside would have resulted in worse damage.  Since corrosion shows metal exposure to the elements, the best course of action is to remove the corroded parts, prep and paint.   

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 06:03:54 PM »
Ya gotta wash 'em pretty regular, Moon, especially in winter. An exhaust will rust faster because of the heat. The Agility is the simplest of the Kymcos and they build them quickly. They may use cheaper paint and plating on some parts. The engines are Honda-inspired bullet-proof so no problem there. If yours was a horse it would have died last month!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 10:52:34 PM »
Somewhat normal, yes.
What country are you in?
Have seen photos of 3 yr old scooters used daily in the U.K. and they look dreadful - esp. with rust on exhaust and center and side stands.
 I also gather that few of these scoots are ever rinsed off, due to weekly rides in the rain.

I would give those areas a good clean, then mask off your scooter with newspaper sheets and give it a spray with a can of high temp black paint. If you're really ambitious you could remove the exhaust to do this......but I have gotten pretty good results by using newspaper and spraying the exhaust in place.

After the paint was well cured I'd give as many exposed areas as you can reach with a spray and wipe with ACF-50 Anti-Corrosion Lubricant Compound to ward off future rust. It will smell a bit until it's cooked in by the engine heat.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Moonwreck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 01:04:17 PM »
I have had similar experience when I rode in rain, did not hose off the bike and let the bike sit over the winter.  I suspect that storing the bike outside would have resulted in worse damage.  Since corrosion shows metal exposure to the elements, the best course of action is to remove the corroded parts, prep and paint.
OK got it. Thanks for the advice.

Moonwreck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 01:05:14 PM »
Ya gotta wash 'em pretty regular, Moon, especially in winter. An exhaust will rust faster because of the heat. The Agility is the simplest of the Kymcos and they build them quickly. They may use cheaper paint and plating on some parts. The engines are Honda-inspired bullet-proof so no problem there. If yours was a horse it would have died last month!

:-) I love my scooter, it was simply ignorance on my part. I will take better care now. Thanks for the advice.

Moonwreck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 01:07:22 PM »
Somewhat normal, yes.
What country are you in?
Have seen photos of 3 yr old scooters used daily in the U.K. and they look dreadful - esp. with rust on exhaust and center and side stands.
 I also gather that few of these scoots are ever rinsed off, due to weekly rides in the rain.

I would give those areas a good clean, then mask off your scooter with newspaper sheets and give it a spray with a can of high temp black paint. If you're really ambitious you could remove the exhaust to do this......but I have gotten pretty good results by using newspaper and spraying the exhaust in place.

After the paint was well cured I'd give as many exposed areas as you can reach with a spray and wipe with ACF-50 Anti-Corrosion Lubricant Compound to ward off future rust. It will smell a bit until it's cooked in by the engine heat.

Stig

I live in Upstate NY. Yes, the scooter was outside during this winter but is indoors now. Thanks for the tips. I will try and paint it using the newspapers. Thanks for the tip.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 01:31:47 PM »
I'm not sure if you can get it in the US, and it's not very pretty, but a tin of Granville's High Temperature Cylinder Black paint works wonders on an exhaust.

I'm afraid the rust is pretty standard. I should have kept more pictures of how my courier hack looked after 2 and a half years. You would all feel much better!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 01:44:12 AM »
Engine heat paint 1200 works the best...

Moonwreck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 12:02:56 PM »
I'm not sure if you can get it in the US, and it's not very pretty, but a tin of Granville's High Temperature Cylinder Black paint works wonders on an exhaust.

I'm afraid the rust is pretty standard. I should have kept more pictures of how my courier hack looked after 2 and a half years. You would all feel much better!
Thanks for the tip. I will look for it.

Moonwreck

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 12:03:28 PM »
Engine heat paint 1200 works the best...
Thanks for the tip again.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 05:52:26 PM »
Thanks for the tip again.
   yes you can get it in the U.S. auto stores or hardwear.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 02:55:58 AM »
That rust is normal if you ride in the rain.  High temperature paint works for a while, but soon burns off and rust starts again.  I've had good success with ceramic paint from auto parts store.  It's dark grey in color.  The procedure is to remove the pipe, sand all the rust to bare metal, spray 2 coats of ceramic paint, and then BAKE at 275C or 400F for 1/2 hour. Spray another 2 coats, and bake again. If your muffler is welded to the pipe, it might not fit in your home oven.   In that case, look for a commercial ceramic paint shop that does this for race cars, etc. 

Moonwreck

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 12:38:01 PM »
Excellent, thanks for the tip.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()