Author Topic: First ride on the new GT 300i  (Read 5124 times)

claynine

• View Profile
First ride on the new GT 300i
« on: September 24, 2013, 10:15:08 PM »
I got home with the silver 300i and took it out for a quick ride.  Even brand new tight, the scoot has more power than I need!  The upgrade from a Like 200i was worth it to me.  I am impressed with the suspension.  It soaks up the bumps way better.  So....What bolts should I watch for loosening up?  I was warned about a couple bolts on the Like that owners had found loose or lost and that saved me on the muffler guard screws and I did loose one on the rubber bumper on the kick stand.  Any advice here would be great.   Thanks.

Scootaloot

• View Profile
Re: First ride on the new GT 300i
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 12:23:13 AM »
Congrats on the new steed. You will have more fun than you should be legally allowed. Goldmember will hit 26K this week and the only issue has been the exhaust shield nuts/bolts working loose. The little shield with the bolts has been the worst.

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 10:18:27 PM »
Welcome to the GTi fold Claynine!!  I'm new to mine, but like it more and more every time I ride it. Don't have any preventative suggestions since mine has been flawless. Have fun!
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 06:19:45 PM »
Just get out and ride.  ;D

Muffler covers screws work loose. Mine did.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:50:38 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 02:06:52 AM »
Just get out and ride.  ;D

...and ride....

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 12:51:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies people!  It's getting a little cool but i will ride every chance I get.  Happy scootering.

boo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 12:44:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies people!  It's getting a little cool but i will ride every chance I get.  Happy scootering.

Cool can be dealt with.
I already had heavy gauntlet gloves.
A few weeks ago I ordered a (Rothco) ski/rescue suit. I think it was $72. to my door. It fits, is comfortable, and I think it will work fine.
It should extend my riding season by at least two months.
I plan to use regular sweats or thermal underwear underneath depending on how chilly it is out.
I also have something to cover my head and neck.
Will post results later.

Update: Tried suit on a cool/cold day. I was pleased. It is comfortable and warm. Easy to get on and off.
Only negative was pockets are not much to write home about. Front pockets are shallow. The one on the chest is ok. Good enough for a cell phone or smokes and it zips close.
They are true to size. I am 6' , 195 pounds, kinda slim. I bought the XL and it was right for me.
If you are on the heavy side, I`d recommend a XXL.
Zippers are medium duty and appear to work good.
Anyhow, I like it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:22:53 PM by boo »
300GTI black

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 03:30:48 AM »

Yes, cool is easy... I deal with "wet" and slippery most of the time... These monsoon rains are the worst... it will rain very hard for around 30 minutes then sun will shine hot for an hour or so... then rain again.... Geez!

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 12:24:49 PM »
Yep, I think so too.  The rain is tough, the cool weather can be addressed with good clothing.  I have harvest to finish, then "day" trips to other towns.  I am sooo looking forward to that.

boo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 11:17:02 PM »
Yes, cool is easy... I deal with "wet" and slippery most of the time... These monsoon rains are the worst... it will rain very hard for around 30 minutes then sun will shine hot for an hour or so... then rain again.... Geez!

Vivo, have you ever heard of Frogg Toggs?. Good breathable rain wear, light weight, and reasonably priced.
I really like them.
300GTI black

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 03:07:38 AM »
Vivo, have you ever heard of Frogg Toggs?. Good breathable rain wear, light weight, and reasonably priced.
I really like them.

Thanks for the tip boo...  Yes, but they're not really popular here because of the price... one can get a good rain coat with pants for only five U.S. dollars here... rain ponchos are even more popular...

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 03:21:56 PM »
Yesterday I convinced a friend that is a longtime motorcycle rider to take a ride with me on my scooters. He, like so many mc riders pre-judged and poo poo the concept of scooters. Had him first try my Scarabeo 150, and then a little later he tried the GTi on the mountain twisties. Miles down the road when we stopped to chat and turn around he exclaimed; "wow, this is like a motorcycle!"  I said; "yes, but with an automatic transmission and a lot more utility!" 

We later rode around town, wondered through neighborhoods (he's a home builder and likes to look at houses), and eventually stopped at the grocery store to pick up provisions for our afternoon BBQ with our wives. It was amazing how he completely changed is opinion on scooters and was actually impressed with them. He like how quiet and unobtrusive they were when riding through the neighborhoods with people actually waving at us, and how easily it is to lock up our helmets and gloves when going in the store, and then easily carrying the groceries home. I would not be surprised if my friend buys a scooter. In fact, I now expect him to.
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

boo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 12:53:56 PM »
Yesterday I convinced a friend that is a longtime motorcycle rider to take a ride with me on my scooters. He, like so many mc riders pre-judged and poo poo the concept of scooters. Had him first try my Scarabeo 150, and then a little later he tried the GTi on the mountain twisties. Miles down the road when we stopped to chat and turn around he exclaimed; "wow, this is like a motorcycle!"  I said; "yes, but with an automatic transmission and a lot more utility!" 

We later rode around town, wondered through neighborhoods (he's a home builder and likes to look at houses), and eventually stopped at the grocery store to pick up provisions for our afternoon BBQ with our wives. It was amazing how he completely changed is opinion on scooters and was actually impressed with them. He like how quiet and unobtrusive they were when riding through the neighborhoods with people actually waving at us, and how easily it is to lock up our helmets and gloves when going in the store, and then easily carrying the groceries home. I would not be surprised if my friend buys a scooter. In fact, I now expect him to.

That is what happened with me. My wife was the first to buy a scooter (Scarabeo 200). I liked it so much, I bought a GT for myself and sold my motorcycle. No regrets.
300GTI black

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 03:22:53 AM »
Same here... before, scooters are synonymous to girls riding inside villages... Anything without a tank up there is not for me...  The only time I decided on a scooter is when I need something quiet, no shifting, and lots of space...

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 12:54:59 AM »
Yep, me too.  I rode a lot of bikes and my last one was the Honda Goldwing.  Gone and never looked back.  The thing was such a lug to even turn around in the garage.  I thought about a Honda 350 enduro instead of the Gt but there you have shifting and no feet room,  I wish I had more time to ride the scoot.  Soon time to get out the snowmobile ;) 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()