Author Topic: Has anyone removed the side panels for a 500ri yet  (Read 2863 times)

HTCneil

• View Profile
Has anyone removed the side panels for a 500ri yet
« on: May 17, 2010, 06:07:59 AM »
I tried for 5 hours to get the side panels off, but the plastic clips were just stuck or are not visible. ANy ideas?

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone removed the side panels for a 500ri yet
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 03:33:52 PM »
Assuming you're talking about the side panels on the sides of the hump, not the side skirts below the footrest area.  Mine gave me a real pain the first time I took em off.  After that I sorta got a method down. 

You took off the two bolts, right?  After they're off, I start at the front -- prying upward with my fingers and even beating a bit with the palms of my hands. The lower front 3 prongs have to come out first.  This part always has my fingers sore by the time I get those 3 loose. Then the top front 3.  Then the lower one just below where it looks like an air scoop. After that, the rest come more easily.

If you're talking about the skirts, don't forget the screw way down at the bottom rear.  Then there's a prong way up deep under, right about where that screw is.  I use a gasket scraper to pry it loose -- lying on my back, looking up under.  A very large screwdriver or similar would work too.

Mine's a '07, not an ri but looks the same to me.   

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 03:56:56 PM »
By the way, if your trying to get under the floorboard itself, there's a lot more to take off too. The seat, the underseat pan, disconnecting the courtesy light, DC plug, side skirts, floorboard.  Lot of work.   

HTCneil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 01:59:46 AM »
i may try your method this weekend!

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 03:23:34 AM »
If I'm gonna go under my floorboard for some time, I disconnect the pos battery terminal when I take off the under-seat pan.  This keeps the idot light from staying on and running the battery down.  You can pull the light bulb out of the back of the courtesy light once you lift the pan part ways up.  The connector for the phone charger/DC outlet is a pain but has to be disconnected before the pan will come off.  I had to use a tiny screwdriver to pry it's connector apart.  I left it unconnected since I don't ever use it.

One stupid thing I did:  I set the seat back in place after battery was disconnected.  Then there was no way to unlatch it to raise it.  Only one side was hooked so I was able to raise up the other side just enough to reconnect the battery and unlock the seat.  Don't know what I would've done if both sides had latched. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:26:15 AM by Hoolander2 »

Bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 06:04:15 AM »
Yep, you guys are so right, when I took those side panels off to spray them it was a struggle, have to squeeze them with much power to get those bottom lugs out. They don't seem to be designed for easy removal and replacement. My trouble started when I decided to take the back foot pegs off first so I wouldn't have them in the way. I was very careful but, you guessed it, the little ball bearing that clicks into the dimples to keep the peg in position as well as the spring shot out. It was night time and I'm working on the porch. The spring was easy to find but that ball bearing went off into space, out over the driveway and the search was on. I know I should have left the thing, there would surely be one somewhere around in the workshop, noo I have to find it. Out with the torches and even backed up the car so the headlights were shining across the area. Nothing. Finally gave up, packed up and went to bed mumbling about old age. Next morning walked outside and there it was, wow, right there where I'd looked over and over the night before, shining there in the early morning sun like a diamond. So if you take off those pegs, beware the flying bearing. Regards from Durban RSA.

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 06:13:17 AM »
After the flood that hit the philippines i removed all the plastics on the 2 x500. Took me an hour or 2 to remove. Putting it back on is a lot harder!

After putting it back on didn't know that the x500 has half a dozen of reserve screws! Hahaha!
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 03:19:58 PM »
Bryan, sounds like something that'd happen to me!  Ironic because the rear footpegs don't have to come off to get the panels off.  Just fold em out straight and the panel comes right off. 

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 04:47:31 PM »
Ha Bryan, it also sounds like stuff that happens to me.  Have spent too much time with a flashlight crawling around on the garage floor looking for little parts that I dropped or flew off.  Funny how far they can travel when they fly off or hit the floor.  Looked for one little screw for an hour, gave up, bought a new one from dealer only to find it a month later stuck to the magnet on the back of the very trouble light I was using to look for it...  :o

Guys thanks for the insight on the plastic so I can be prepared when I have to take mine off.  Isn't the forum great.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 02:28:17 AM »
Yeah, those reserve screws appear by magic, huh?   :D  I had a 4 inch piece of "reserve" hose fall out when I had mine apart last time.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()