Author Topic: Mystery Scooter Theater 2010 - Case of the Fatal Left Turn  (Read 6761 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Mystery Scooter Theater 2010 - Case of the Fatal Left Turn
« on: September 23, 2010, 10:57:47 PM »
Though this is a real event, I've posted it as a remainder to be aware out there. The following is a real case study:

My guess is that every one of my readers has heard of a motorcyclist who was injured or killed when someone turned left in front of them and a collision resulted.

That left turner was always the 'bad guy', right?

But surely you, like all the rest of us, have made left turns with our vehicles and we would never cause such an accident - because we remain alert, drive defensively, and maintain 'situational awareness'.

For example, let's say that we are driving our car along a country road and must make a left turn into our driveway when we arrive at home. We can see at least 1000 feet in front and behind us. There is only one car in the oncoming lane. We turn on our left turn signal and wait ...

The white car passes us ...

We turn left toward our driveway ...

And we discover that we have just KILLED A MOTORCYCLIST!

How can that be? We did everything right! We were not speeding, not drunk, not talking on a cell phone ... but there lies a dead motorcyclist and you can be absolutely certain that we will get a day in court to explain why we killed him. Especially after we say "I didn't see him!"

Any thoughts on the matter?

Well, let me give you a hint. You would expect, I'm guessing, that the motorcyclist crashed into the passenger side of our green car because, after all, we have crossed over almost the entire oncoming lane. But you would be wrong as what actually happened is that the motorcycle hit our LEFT-FRONT bumper.

So anyone figure out what happened?

-Wolf

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:04:31 PM by ScooterWolf »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Scooter Theater 2010 - Case of the Fatal Left Turn
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 12:52:10 AM »
..i would venture that the cyclist was maybe riding a bit too closely to the rear of the white car, removing himself from our line of sight...His mistake, if so...

..then, given the fact that it is a WHITE car, draws our attention toward it, and once it's clear, we immediately started our turn..

..after all, we're home..gotta pee..getting hungry..ready to chill...

....itsa sad story in any case...

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 12:58:17 AM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 02:51:30 AM »
Thanks for posting, Wordslinger. I'll see if anyone puts in their thoughts on the post  - say a day or so, then I'll post the answer.

-Wolf

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 02:52:18 AM »
..dang...reckon i didnt get it......

:-\

..it's still sad....
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:03:21 AM by wordslinger »

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 02:59:49 AM »
How about the motorcyclist was trying to sneak by the car (coming from behind the car waiting to make the left) while the car was waiting to make the left turn.

And for some reason did so to the left of the car - even though the car had turned on the left turn signal.

In that case it would be the motorcyclist's fault and not the fault of the person in the car making a left.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:02:22 AM by oswaldters »

YagerMeister

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 07:12:36 PM »
Whether you're on a bike or in your car, always glance in your mirrors, look left and right and check over your left shoulder before making a left turn.  You'd be surprised what you might drive right into.  Fault doesn't matter when you're dead, or killed someone being stupid.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 10:07:12 PM »
Thanks for your comments everyone. Here's the reveal for this mystery:

He hit us at 40 mph, the legal speed limit. That is, he had not been traveling at 100 mph and just appeared out of nowhere - there was 1,000 feet of unobstructed visibility both ahead of and behind us.

What I will demonstrate for you here is that motorcyclists MUST drive defensively. Part of defensive driving is a concept called 'conspicuity' - visibility.

That does not simply mean 'drive with your headlights on', and it does not simply mean 'wear light colored and/or reflective clothing'. It means 'SEE' and 'BE SEEN'.

In this particular scenario there is only one possible way for the accident to have happened - the motorcyclist really was not visible to us.

For example, he was 'tailgating' the white car ...

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 10:09:33 PM »
Observe that from our perspective (driver of the green car), there is no motorcycle or any other traffic in the oncoming lane other than the white car. This has been true since the white car first became visible to us when it was over 1,000 feet ahead. The white car obscured our sight lines.

Then, as the white car began to pass us, that 'A pillar' began to obstruct the motorcyclist (that metal column on the left edge of your windshield that supports the roof and windshield).

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 10:24:07 PM »
Now let me ask you, "Why did the motorcyclist hit our left-front bumper instead of the passenger side of our car?"

Again, you know the answer to that question. New riders who have not, through practice, internalized the concept of counter-steering and use it instinctively, tend to NOT use it during a crisis. No rational thinking person would turn their motorcycles toward the front of a left-turning vehicle as in this scenario because that would result in hitting the vehicle at its front, AND being run over by the vehicle after the collision. They would, if possible, turn toward the rear of the left-turner.

But new, inexperienced, riders - having forgotten everything they ever 'knew' or had heard about counter-steering, would try to turn their handlebars to the left and find that the bike 'fights them' - simply will not go to the left. In fact, the harder they try, the more the bike turns to the right. The result, a collision with the front of our green car instead of merely a close call.

Oh, it doesn't really matter whether or not our car is green. Just as it is incorrect to assume that 'green' is the 'bad guy', so, too, is it incorrect to assume that the left-turner is at fault.

Rider errors killed this motorcyclist.

A sad story, but one we can all learn from.

A week ago I was traveling along a twisty road along a river in Philly. Traffic was light and I was gunning it more than I should have. As I approached a curve I pressed on the left handle bar and turned into the curve, but as the turn tightened my eyes locked on the line of the other lane and over the line I went. I rolled back on the throttle, straighten the scooter a little and leaned back into my lane. Shaken by the experience I gave myself an 'F' for that ride, and it took me a few days to figure out that I suffered from 'target fixation' in that incident, despite a good counter-steering maneuver I wasn't looking down the road and into my curve.

I've since returned to the same drive and now actively practice looking down the road and into the turn along with counter-steering.

Oswaldters and Wordslinger I think both of you got it right regarding the rider being in the blind spot of the car in front of him.
Looks like the next mystery is yours to post.

-Wolf

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 10:43:02 PM »
I think Word was closer!

Next mystery is on to him.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 02:18:16 AM »
..mystery theatre 2010...cooool..

...a previously used carburetor's bowl was left open, for several weeks..the formed seal shrunk, in nearly every dimension...the mystery is,...

.. how can the "rubber" seal be expanded?..at least to a point that it can be manipulated into position, while tigtening the bowl's fasteners....

peace

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 03:50:15 AM »
That has been gnawing at you for a while. I read of a seal that expanded being boiled in water to shrink it. What about soaking it in penetrating fluid?
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 05:31:48 PM »
Yeah, that's why I'm on this forum to learn things like this. Given that I have no mechanical experience (save for working on 10-speed and mountain bikes), I wonder if it can be fixed. It may be better to get a new one. If it can be expanded, will it still be any good?

-Wolf

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 05:51:25 PM »
My first thought was to soak it in gasoline overnight to see if it expanded since gas shouldn't hurt it. I would like to see what the condition looks like. I wouldn't subject it to extreme cold though after seeing wikipedia's entry about rubber o-ring failure on the challenger. That may have been much more extreme cold though, I dunno. Apparently there are different types of rubber so whether it would be usable long term, or for anything more than testing purposes, if it did expand may depend on the durability of the original material. My second thought was a carburetor repair kit that may be rather inexpensive, but really doesn't answer how to expand or rehydrate.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 10:18:10 PM »
That has been gnawing at you for a while. I read of a seal that expanded being boiled in water to shrink it. What about soaking it in penetrating fluid?

..yes it has...

..boilng, freezing nor penetrating fluid will work...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()