Author Topic: Headlights dim when not accelerating/idle  (Read 6668 times)

PandersonPrime

• View Profile
Headlights dim when not accelerating/idle
« on: April 15, 2012, 04:44:36 PM »
Is it normal for a brand new Super 8, for the headlights to dim when your coasting or in idle?

ill_eagle94

• View Profile
Re: Headlights dim when not accelerating/idle
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 09:12:48 PM »
Yes, mine does it too. I'd guess it's because the generator does not make enough power at idle to fully power the headlights.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2012 Honda Fit Sport

PandersonPrime

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:04:53 PM »
i wonder then if it just needs a larger capacity generator or battery...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 11:58:16 PM »
It's not the capacity but the number of poles on the stator. The more poles the "cleaner" the voltage. If it really bothers you... Try looking for a Cross over stator from a proper bike. Ie: bmw/Honda/ktm. There is most likely a bolt on stator/flywheel that will work better but it may be 10 times the cost. Otherwise it is the same on all Kymco scoots.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 02:08:10 AM »
The Super 8 has a light control unit (module) that drops the voltage to the headlights (around 7 volts) when idling in order to save electricity. You can by-pass this module with wire jumpers if you want.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/billed23201.jpg/sr=1
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:12:51 AM by Vivo »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 04:07:48 AM »
SLICK! The dimming will still happen tho. The stator needs to see 3,000 rpm's for clean voltage.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 05:15:04 AM »
SLICK! The dimming will still happen tho. The stator needs to see 3,000 rpm's for clean voltage.

Yes, but not the low beam-high beam type of dimming but the "slow" type of dimming. With the Light Control Unit, the light really switches off to a very dim light. I had this problem when coasting downhill at night. You can't see a damn thing. I have to rev a little for the lights to go back.  Most Super 8 club members here by-pass the LCU and it works. The light dims but just a little when idling.

sentinex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 05:48:08 AM »
Yup same issue, i took mine for a quick night ride and my light keep dimming once I started coasting, Is extremely annoying if not dangerous in a poorly lit street.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 06:01:31 AM »
What idiot at the factory decided that was a Good idea to dim out headlights? Even having to rev w/out a clutch could be dangerous.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 06:11:44 AM »
What idiot at the factory decided that was a Good idea to dim out headlights? Even having to rev w/out a clutch could be dangerous.

Absolutely right! Maybe they were thinking about when the scoot is just idling, say at the stop light. They did not take into consideration that when coasting, or free wheeling, the rpm also goes down that will kill the lights also. My daily ride includes a downhill s-curve at around 7:00pm before I reach our town. It's an area where there are no street lights just a few houses. Very dangerous indeed, I rev (blip) just a little bit just to turn on the lights, then it dims again after about 2-3 seconds.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 06:28:42 AM »
I used to ride an old NC 50 Honda that I had to rev for any light at all. I barely missed a piece of 12x12" railroad tie laying in the road, and bought a battery just for the light. That was on a 40 year old "noped"!(moped with no pedals) You would Think they sorted this out by now.
Ps... The NC 50 is still running. Spark plugs, and tires are ALL I ever changed on it.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 06:43:44 AM »
I had a blue Honda Mini Trail 70. I ride it without the battery but only during daytime. I hope Kymco would redesign this on their next model.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 06:47:51 AM »
I hope Kymco would redesign this on their next model.

Yeah Right! Have you seen picts of the Factory? I lived in larger apartments.

sentinex

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 10:18:56 PM »
I hope Kymco would redesign this on their next model.

Yeah Right! Have you seen picts of the Factory? I lived in larger apartments.

What factory you referring to? because the one in Taiwan is the size of a football field. Link included.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 03:06:46 AM »
That's the one!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()