Author Topic: 450i review  (Read 4176 times)

Wilbur

• View Profile
450i review
« on: June 24, 2015, 04:23:25 PM »
We bought the 450i in september of 2014. We have put 2560 miles on the machine since then. So far the only problem we have encountered is excessive tire wear on the front tires. I don't know if it's the cheesy stock maxxis tires or a problem with the front end alignment. I am going to take it to the dealer and have it checked. We have used this machine in mud, snow , etc and are quite pleased with how it performs. Plenty of power for trail riding, even on steep muddy terrain. The bed is a great feature, we haul in a jag of firewood everytime we ride. Unfortunately, we have been having a hard time finding accessories and Kymco offers very few choices. We are able at this time to purchase a windshield from the dealer for $350, which I think is pretty high for a plastic one. I bought a piece of plexiglass last winter and cut it to size, used zip ties to mount it and gorilla tape to help secure it to the machine and it worked great. $29 was a little more reasonable than $350. We mounted a boss audio stereo system to the roll cage and a led light bar to the front of the machine directly above the winch and they both work great. The only downside the the machine is availability of accessories.

Wicked Al

• View Profile
Re: 450i review
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 06:04:32 AM »
What kind of accessories are you looking for?

I'm in the process of building items for the UXV 700/500. I have a 450i sitting in the back, but haven't had a chance yet to tear into it to see what can be done. Most of what I'm doing starts with the suspension then goes from there to cages, doors, bumpers then engine improvements. I did notice that the 450i has a bit of positive camber to the front tires, didn't know if this was normal  or not.

How does it drive for you? Track straight? Sensitive steering? Pushes in corners? Anything odd at all with handling?

Where is the wear on the tires?

Any input you or other 450i owners have on handling would be appreciated and then I can take a look at that and see about removing issues.

Thanks!

Alex

Wilbur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 05:34:07 PM »
The tires are wearing out in the middle, the machine seems to handle okay, maybe a little touchy when going going around corners. The left tire has quite a bit more wear on it then does the right. The rear tires are wearing pretty well. I would really like to find a split windshield, doors would be nice and maybe some sort of rear windshield, soft or plastic.

laidback

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 07:11:06 PM »
If the tires are wearing in the center it has to much air pressure. If the tires are feathering on the edge of the tread you need to adjust your toe in or out by adjusting your tie rods. Loosen the jam nut on the inner tie rod and turn the inner tie rod with a 🔧 wrench. Make sure your steering wheel is straight before adjusting. Then you can measure the front of the front tires and the back of the front tires center to center and adjust to make them equal. Or do as I do and just eyeball it and watch your tire wear. ;)

jgritters

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 09:44:48 PM »
My 2015 450i has only 250 miles and I noticed excessive front tire wear.  I checked the alignment and the front wheels were WAY towed in.  I used the simple string alignment method.  Handles much better now, way less twitchy on gravel roads.  They must not have aligned mine at factory.

Wicked Al

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 03:28:18 PM »
I just visited a KYMCO dealer and they had a 450i out front. Just looking at it I could see there was excessive toe in. The lady there mentioned that it felt tippy when turning, toe in will do that. Not sure how they are shipped, but I would think that would be part of the dealer prep process.

What I do to align the front is to take a couple pieces of tube (about 6' long), put a loop of rope in the center then hang it off each wheel so the tube sits halfway down the side of the tire. Then I measure the ends to see how far apart they are and adjust accordingly...or I eyeball it, but the tubes are more accurate. That's what I did with my ATVs, haven't tried anything with the SxSs yet.

Wilbur

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 05:41:20 PM »
New development...went to change the oil today and noticed an oil leak. It appears to be coming from the housing that contains the oil plug. It's under warranty so they will fix it. Hopefully, this isn't a sign of things to come...

JoeMarshall

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 07:52:31 PM »
Yeah hope not. I'm out of the kymco scene now, got smart and traded it quick. When I purchased mine the salesman told me all these great things about them, and all the accessories I can put on them. Yeah right, after about a month of searching I found there is nothing for these. Well maybe a windshield. This week I went to trade it on a Polaris and they wouldn't even do the trade. So I bought a 4wheeler instead. So yesterday I went to the salesman that sold me this kymco and flipped. My company I work for does business with them, so today I traded my 700i in for a new Teryx even up. I feel like I won the lotto.

Wilbur

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 09:17:01 PM »
You're probably lucky you didn't get the polaris...my daughter just bought the 570 and it's been a head ache since day one. The muffler welds broke, the hoad flew off when she was going down the road (the fasteners broke) the drive belt blew with less than 80 miles on the machine...wish suzuki would build a sxs

JoeMarshall

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 04:00:48 AM »
It is weird that Suzuki does not make a sxs. And I'm surprised to see a Polaris that didn't hold up. Guess they all have there lemons.

Wilbur

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 04:07:26 PM »
Update: took the machine to the dealer, the oil leak was an o-ring in the plate that contains the oil plug that wasn't sealed properly at the factory.It had a small pinch in it and was an easy fix. There were no problems with the front end...I assume the front tires were over- inflated and cheesy stock tires anyway. Put a set of kenda bear claw radials on should last longer than than the stock tires.

Coach

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 02:20:26 AM »
What kind of accessories are you looking for?

I'm in the process of building items for the UXV 700/500. I have a 450i sitting in the back, but haven't had a chance yet to tear into it to see what can be done. Most of what I'm doing starts with the suspension then goes from there to cages, doors, bumpers then engine improvements. I did notice that the 450i has a bit of positive camber to the front tires, didn't know if this was normal  or not.

How does it drive for you? Track straight? Sensitive steering? Pushes in corners? Anything odd at all with handling?

Where is the wear on the tires?

Any input you or other 450i owners have on handling would be appreciated and then I can take a look at that and see about removing issues.

Thanks!

Alex

Hurry and make a brushgaurd for the 450i. I'll be your first customer.
Retired outdoor bum!
I like it too!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()