Author Topic: People S200 rear wheel removal and rear brake shoe replacement  (Read 8001 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
People S200 rear wheel removal and rear brake shoe replacement
« on: September 22, 2020, 02:16:33 AM »
I am replacing my rear brake shoes on my scoot to cure a pulsation problem I've had for a while.

I also thought I'd take a lot of pics to document the process of removing the seat, tub, plastics, exhaust and rear wheel as it seems very little documentation exists for the S200.

First step is to open the seat where you'll need to remove 5 10mm nuts and pull out and disconnect the power socket (pic 1).

The power socket is pulled out through it's hole and I've circled where you disconnect it. It helps to add dielectric grease to all the electrical connections you'll be unhooking as it makes future disconnections much easier. (pic 2)

This is what the scoot looks like after seat removal (pic 3)

Next up is to remove the luggage rack. A 6mm hex wrench is needed to remove the 3 bolts. (pic 4)
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: People S200 rear wheel removal and rear brake shoe replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 02:22:23 AM »
This is what the scoot looks like with the rack removed (pic 1)

Next is removal of the rear fender. 2 10mm nuts at the back, 2 philips screws (1 on each side) and 2 male tabs need to be unhooked (1 on each side). I have an arrow pointing at the tab. (pic 2)

In order to completely remove the fender you must unhook the connector for the license plate light (pic 3)

Scoot with fender removed (pic 4)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 02:11:17 PM by Iahawk »
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 02:36:13 AM »
The next step is probably the most challenging. Removal of the full back plastic tub.

I didn't photograph this but you must first remove the battery cover. As you're sitting on the scoot it's between your feet around where your heels are. 2 phillips screws need to be removed and then the battery cover can be lifted up and removed. For the tub there are 5 male tabs next to and just in front of the passenger footrest. 2 male tabs on the floor section and 3 male tabs on the tub itself. I have circled each of the male tabs. There are the same 5 tabs on both sides of the scooter.(pic 1)

Edit - I just realized I left out the direction to remove 1 screw per side from the floor board side covers...just down and in front of the passenger pegs...this screw must be removed to help separate the tub from the floor board. The screw  hole is clearly visible in pic 2.

It takes some effort and force to unhook the tabs. You must remember to pull down and out on the footboard for the rear 2 tabs and to pull in and up on the tub for the front 3 tabs. The tabs are barbed so you push down on the footboard and you push in on the tub to release.

this is what it looks like after the 5 tabs have been released (pic 2)

Once all the tabs are unhooked on the tub you lift up and then back on the tub so the chrome holes below the taillight can unhook from the threaded metal posts, all circled in yellow (pic 3)

Before you totally remove the tub you must unhook the connector for the taillight/turn signals (pic 4)

« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 06:09:44 PM by Iahawk »
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 02:41:29 AM »
OK, this is what we're looking at after seat and tub removal (pic 1)

Now we need to remove the exhaust. There are 2 12mm nuts at the header pipe (you can only see one in the pic). They are easy to access either from below or from the front through the removed battery door (pic 2)

and 2 12mm exhaust hanger bolts (pic 3)

and this is what the removed exhaust looks like (pic 4)
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 02:50:15 AM »
Next step is rear shock removal. 14mm upper bolt and 12mm lower bolt (pic 1)

We're getting closer! Next up is the 24mm axle bolt. I put a short piece of 2x4 between the wheel spokes and transmission to stop the wheel from turning as the nut is loosened. A 24" breaker bar makes quick work of it. (pic 2)

you'll remove the nut, below that is a very thick washer, then you'll remove the swingarm and behind that is a spacer (pic 3). be sure to check the swingarm bearing to make sure it moves smoothly and is silent.

I wish the wheel would come off now but you must first remove the wheel hugger. The metal bracket needs to come off (5mm hex wrench) as well as 2 more phillips screws on the left side of the scooter (not pictured) (pic 4)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 12:34:46 PM by Iahawk »
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 02:56:21 AM »
Now we can pull the wheel off! It doesn't come straight off...you still need to fuss with it some as it gets hung up on one of the exhaust attachment points, circled in yellow in the pic (pic 1)

This is what the factory brake shoes look like (pic 2)

these are all the parts that have been removed (pic 3)

and this is what it looks like with the brake shoes removed (pic 4)

2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 03:06:29 AM »
replace your brake shoes and then replace all the parts in the reverse order of removal!

I have done this job a few times. I can have the wheel off in about 50 minutes and I had the brake shoes off in about 1 hour after starting. The first time you tackle this job I'd budget about 2 or 3x that amount of time as it takes a while to get used to how all the connectors and tabs unhook.

it took me a little over an hour to get everything put back together.

You will need to remove the seat and plastics to replace your spark plug and also to replace any of your taillight or turn signal bulbs so this is a god skill to have if you own an S200.

I hope this was helpful.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

cleanerman

• Upper East TENNESSEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 12:45:31 PM »
Thank you so much.  This will be very helpful.

Outstanding write up. 
2009 People S200, 2007 Honda
 Reflex, 2018 Vespa GTS300 Super

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 01:06:54 PM »
Holly Smoke!
THAT is what you have to do to get the wheel off??!!
I'm sorry - but as much as I'm fond of my scooters, if this was my scooter I'd have to take it behind the shed .....and put it down. "Sorry Olde Paint, like I told you before - you wear out that back tire - it's the glue factory for you!"

That is insane.
This kind of thing is why I buy the service manual before I buy the scooter.
You're post is amazing!
And what a clean scooter!!
Thanks for posting!

Making that a Sticky.
Stig
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 01:10:00 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 01:48:18 PM »
My first sticky!!  Thanks for the compliments, Stig! Yes, rear tire removal is a pain but I tried to time myself (while also taking lots of pics) and it was 13 minutes to get the seat and plastics stripped and 50 minutes to get the tire off.

I'd still almost rather do the rear tire than separating the front headlight cover...now THAT is a pain!

and I'm embarrassed to say that yes, the scoot is very clean because I probably spend as much or more time cleaning it than riding it....although with the new rear brake shoes it's a whole lot more enjoyable to ride.

I know there are fewer and fewer S200's out there but I hope this info can help the remaining owners get this job done a little bit easier.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 03:06:19 PM »
Nicely explained and with good pictures, but do you really need to take the scooter apart to get to the wheel off?

On my Agility City I need  take off the muffler, unscrew the shock at the bottom and push it upward, and remove the fender.
Then remove the swingarm and that makes enough room to get the tire off.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 03:14:38 PM by jeeves »
Agility City 125

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 03:24:20 PM »
Nicely explained and with good pictures, but do you really need to take the scooter apart to get to the wheel off?

Believe me, I've tried to take shortcuts but the rear shock has to come off, you can't just swing it out of the way. To get to the rear shock top bolt you have to remove the plastics...to remove the plastics you have to remove the seat, rack, fender, etc. The exhaust has to come off to get the swingarm off and the tire hugger has to come off to allow wheel removal.

So unfortunately, yes, complete disassembly to get the tire off. But again, with practice it takes less than an hour, if that's any consolation.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 04:44:27 PM »

Believe me, I've tried to take shortcuts but the rear shock has to come off, you can't just swing it out of the way. To get to the rear shock top bolt you have to remove the plastics...to remove the plastics you have to remove the seat, rack, fender, etc. The exhaust has to come off to get the swingarm off and the tire hugger has to come off to allow wheel removal.

So unfortunately, yes, complete disassembly to get the tire off. But again, with practice it takes less than an hour, if that's any consolation.

Ok.
Luckily removing the rear wheel is not something that needs to be done too often.

P.S.

Good looking scoot [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Agility City 125

brianmckewen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 06:42:05 PM »
I am using this to change my spark plug and adjust the valves as I am sure this has never been done to this bike. The instructions and pictures were great. I sweated bullets getting the tub off. I have had issues in the past with my Helix in removing the small plastic tabs without breaking any. I am also going to replace all the tail lights while I have it apart. If there is anything else I should address while it is apart please let me know. I don't mind taking things apart but those small tabs scare me. It is amazingly dirty inside considering it only has 2500 miles on it so I will do some cleaning also. I am going to sell my Kawasaki and Honda as I am saving up to get a new well this summer so this will be my only scoot until I get a soon to be mine CX 500 on the road. Probably will take a year or so, so I want this little rascal in as good a shape mechanically as I can get it. I have only ridden it a few miles before I started taking it apart but damn is it fun to ride. Crazy acceleration and plenty of top speed as I will only use it around town and some fun back road riding. Thanks for the detailed instructions. Brian.
2009 Kymco People S200
2022 Honda Navi
2022 Honda ADV 150

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 06:59:20 PM »
Glad the pics helped. Yeah, taking the tub off the first time is not fun..but once you do it you understand how all the tabs go together. Plug, valves, changing rear bulbs...not much else to do while the tub is off but give it a good clean, like you said.

I just pulled my carb this week to give it a thorough clean and also replaced the 11 year old fuel line, but I didn't need to remove the tub to do that work.

You may want to pull your cvt cover (that requires tub to be off) to clean and inspect your variator and clutch and make sure the belt looks good.

Glad you're enjoying your S200!

2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()