Author Topic: MEMPHIS BELLE & WWII fly-in  (Read 857 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
MEMPHIS BELLE & WWII fly-in
« on: November 22, 2017, 12:51:07 AM »
http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Upcoming/Boeing-B-17F-Memphis-Belle-Exhibit-Opening-May-17-2018/

Found this info the other day:

On MAY 17-19, 2018 (exactly 75 yrs after its last mission) the  Memphis Belle, the first heavy bomber to complete 25 missions over Europe in WWII, will be placed on permanent display at the U. S. Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, OH.

The 3-day event will include a WWII-era aircraft fly-in, reenactors, vehicles, era music, etc. Activities will be both inside and outside of the museum.

As always - museum admission and parking is free. You will find the museum to be a model of cleanliness - with acres of organized & well supervised displays of all eras of flight. A walk through the various presidential planes is a popular draw for those not interested in military aircraft.

These military fly-ins are amazing to see.
As with other large national museums - you will need more than one day to see it all....but you CAN experience much of one specific era in a few hours, such as the Korean or Vietnam wars.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Re: MEMPHIS BELLE & WWII fly-in
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 02:57:27 AM »
I'm sure the Memphis Belle will not be flown in. It's air frame was certified not fit for aerial flight and wing loading many years ago. There has been a complete cosmetic restoration done recently, but she'll never fly again. Lots of history in that old war bird. I absolutely love military aircraft, especially WW2 planes. I have some 35mm training films on maintaining and flying a B-24. They are not re-makes but actual films used in WW2. The set is not complete, as several are missing.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 12:57:12 AM »
Its a shame so many of the B-17s got scrapped after the war. I love the old war planes and if I am ever in the area, I would love to see the museum.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 05:00:31 PM »
I am really pleased to hear the Memphis Belle is now in a museum worthy of her history. She spent many years in Memphis deteriorating while all the societal climbers used her for their ladder to local prominence. Much like the Spruce Goose going to McMinnville, OR to the Evergreen Museum saved that one of a kind from the chainsaw. Both now are in a safe place to be admired for their history. I have been to Oregon. Dayton is next! Thanks, Stig!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 12:58:41 AM »
Very nicely put crossbolt. She suffered much neglect in her long stay in Memphis, sitting outside exposed to the elements. Made me want to cry every time I saw her like that. She got a pretty good sprucing up here recently and now that her new quarters are inside and climate controlled, maybe that Southern Belle can finally rest  in peace.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 08:02:16 PM »
Getting the Belle ready at Wright Patterson AFB.
These restoration guys do an amazing job.

Bring your comfy shoes....this is a huge museum!

Parking lot, also huge, is off the photo to the left.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 02:59:25 AM »
One thing I couldn't help but notice and you probably saw it also, Crossbolt. The de-icing boots were all missing. Maybe they had not installed them yet or they plan to paint them on as that rubber wouldn't last forever in a static display and there is the very real possibility those parts could not be sourced after all these years. Whatever the case, she is one beautiful bird and as Stig mentioned, they did a great job with her. Thanks once again Tom for another trip down memory lane.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 06:12:16 AM »
The "Memphis Belle" stunt double, the one that flew in the movies, visited us here in the Boise valley a few years ago. As a surprise gift from my wife, my daughter and I were able to take a flight in her. She may not be the original, but just being able to fly in a B-17 was an absolute thrill of a lifetime! We had seats right behind the pilot so we were able to watch the whole take-off and landing procedure, and we were up in the nose where the bombardier sits before she cleared the runway. Talk about front row seats - and what a view! While it was in flight, we could wander all over the plane and see all the different stations, except the ball turret, of course. Just amazing to be in a living, flying museum to WW2.

We are very fortunate to live only 1/4 mile from the https://warhawkairmuseum.org/ and be able to watch so many beautifully restored WW2 planes fly right over our house - P51s, P40s, P38s, P47s, F4Us, B25s, TBFs, etc. Always a thrill to watch these beautiful birds flying!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Doc Wheezer

• Silently riding armed through the Mojave Desert.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 02:55:17 PM »
I am really pleased to hear the Memphis Belle is now in a museum worthy of her history. She spent many years in Memphis deteriorating while all the societal climbers used her for their ladder to local prominence. Much like the Spruce Goose going to McMinnville, OR to the Evergreen Museum saved that one of a kind from the chainsaw. Both now are in a safe place to be admired for their history. I have been to Oregon. Dayton is next! Thanks, Stig!

Karl

Sorry Karl,
I think we owe THANKS to Memphis. 
Regardless of how she was stored, we still have her around to restore.
Without Memphis stepping up and taking possession the "Memphis Belle" in 1946 she would have been chopped up...
From Wikipedia, Display in Memphis.
After the war, the Memphis Belle was saved from reclamation at Altus Air Force Base, Oklahoma where she had been consigned since 1 August 1945, by the efforts of the mayor of Memphis, Walter Chandler, and the city bought the B-17 for $350. (That would be $4,642.92 today (2017)). She was flown to Memphis in July 1946 and stored until the summer of 1949 when she was placed on display at the National Guard armory near the city's fairgrounds.

It would have been great to have nice pristine building to store her in.  I'm sure in 1946 in Memphis Tenn. discretionary funds weren't just lying around. Memphis took the first step, saving The Memphis Belle....now she's restored.

Don't come down too hard Memphis.
Which one would have been the better alternative, having the plane, even in bad condition OR just the memories of her?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 12:53:48 AM by Doc Wheezer »

forkintheroad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 08:18:46 PM »
I'm sure the Memphis Belle will not be flown in. It's air frame was certified not fit for aerial flight and wing loading many years ago. There has been a complete cosmetic restoration done recently, but she'll never fly again. Lots of history in that old war bird. I absolutely love military aircraft, especially WW2 planes. I have some 35mm training films on maintaining and flying a B-24. They are not re-makes but actual films used in WW2. The set is not complete, as several are missing.

I lived in Memphis when they had her exposed to the elements on Mud Island. Glad that plane has found a better home.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 08:32:47 PM »
Good point, Doc! The initial steps were crucial and credit to Memphis for saving hermfrom the beer can production. My acerbic attitude is from the 1980's generation of Memphis Belle Association social climbers and posers and trying to deal with them for airshows and such. She is in way better hands now. And it looks like they are restoring to at least flight status capability what with all the attention to detail and structural integrity focus. That opinion gained from the videos Stig linked.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()