Author Topic: Downtown won't start  (Read 1917 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Re: Downtown won't start
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2022, 01:49:43 PM »
Not yet. Please clear up the voltage puzzle first....

I checked the voltage for the battery when I tried to start it up. Though the engine didn’t turnover, the voltage read from 10.99 -11.95. I think you said that meant the battery is good. I can check the spark plug next, but if there are other voltage test that may be done I’m open to trying them too.

I have a feeling it may come down to a bad starter, but that’s just my gut feeling.

- Wolf

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2022, 05:23:48 PM »
I checked the voltage for the battery when I tried to start it up. Though the engine didn’t turnover, the voltage read from 10.99 -11.95. I think you said that meant the battery is good. I can check the spark plug next, but if there are other voltage test that may be done I’m open to trying them too.

I have a feeling it may come down to a bad starter, but that’s just my gut feeling.

- Wolf
Just so I understand, you pushed the start button but the starter did not spin the engine? That could be either the starter but more likely the little flidgit switches in either or both brake levers.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2022, 06:02:22 PM »
Just so I understand, you pushed the start button but the starter did not spin the engine? That could be either the starter but more likely the little flidgit switches in either or both brake levers.
I think he said it tries to start =  cranking?...but is not starting, "not turning over"  he calls not starting.
I think.....
IS the starter spinning the engine  but not starting and running the engine?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2022, 05:55:40 PM »
I think he said it tries to start =  cranking?...but is not starting, "not turning over"  he calls not starting.
I think.....
IS the starter spinning the engine  but not starting and running the engine?
Stig

Yes, that's exactly. what's happening. I hold the brake, press the start button, and hear the engine, but it doesn't fully start or turn over. That's what led me to think it was a battery problem. Checking it with a multimeters shows the battery has a good charge.

My other thoughts are the spark plug, or the starter itself could be bad.

- Wolf

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2022, 06:39:31 PM »
Yes, that's exactly. what's happening. I hold the brake, press the start button, and hear the engine, but it doesn't fully start or turn over. That's what led me to think it was a battery problem. Checking it with a multimeters shows the battery has a good charge.

My other thoughts are the spark plug, or the starter itself could be bad.

- Wolf
I am completely confused....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2022, 02:46:05 AM »
I am completely confused....

Sorry. I’m probably not doing a good job of describing the problem. The bike is getting power from the battery, but the engine won’t fully start up. If the battery has a good charge based on the reading from my multimeter, then something else seems to be preventing it from fully starting up, and preventing the engine from running.

I’m far from a mechanic, so I can only guess as to what the problem may be. Could this be related to a bad spark plug, or something else?

- Wolf

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2022, 11:02:39 AM »
@Wolf, let me chime in here too...
Let's start with basics.
I assume side stand up, kill switch on, brake lights working, etc...
Seat and underseat compartement out.

-jump start cables from car (motor not running) or single proven good battery on your scoots battery terminals
-check out your fuses, TAKE THEM OUT and in
-does it start now,
YES/NO
YES, your scoot batt is done

NO, check your fat minus cables from your batt to its frame connection points for loose or corroded parts
RESULT?

If everything is fine with your minus cables

-change your sparkplug against a new one
-put it into sparkplug cap, full in, lay the plug against cylinder head
-ignition on, brake pulled, start switch pressed and you should see a spark on your plug
YES/NO
RESULT?

NO, we have to check your ignition coil/ cables, start relais, starter motor and so on.....
Let's see how it does.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 11:32:22 AM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2022, 11:44:15 AM »
Can't see that these 2 have been checked out:

1) key on, brake pulled ....IS THE BRAKE LIGHT LIT WHEN PULLING THE BRAKE LEVER?
2) RED Kill Switch....on or off?

Seems his starter IS turning over the engine...but it is not starting.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2022, 09:39:26 PM »
Can't see that these 2 have been checked out:

1) key on, brake pulled ....IS THE BRAKE LIGHT LIT WHEN PULLING THE BRAKE LEVER?
2) RED Kill Switch....on or off?

Seems his starter IS turning over the engine...but it is not starting.

Stig

Yep, all of that is covered. I've been riding for 12 years so starting the bike is second nature. I've had this problem before and it's pretty much come down to a bad battery. This doesn't seem to be the case now. With time and weather permitting I'll check the spark plug and fuses this weekend.

- Wolf

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2022, 05:47:48 AM »
Post a video of the start up.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2022, 07:17:52 PM »
My DT is a 2013 model. Getting to the spark plug is more difficult than it should be unless I'm missing something. Finding and spotting it was pretty hard, and none of my ratchet sockets were successful in removing it, making me believe that a specific kind of tool is needed to do so.

Or am I missing something?

-Wolf

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2022, 08:32:39 PM »
My DT is a 2013 model. Getting to the spark plug is more difficult than it should be unless I'm missing something. Finding and spotting it was pretty hard, and none of my ratchet sockets were successful in removing it, making me believe that a specific kind of tool is needed to do so.

Or am I missing something?

-Wolf
You can get at that spark plug two ways:
1. Put bike on center stand, lay on your back on the floor and go in from the bottom.
2. Remove seat and tub and go in from the top.

You need to go in from the top if you are going to verify you are getting spark.
You need either a 5/8ths deep well plug socket or a 5/8ths/16 mm deep well socket.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2022, 09:58:35 PM »
You can get at that spark plug two ways:
1. Put bike on center stand, lay on your back on the floor and go in from the bottom.
2. Remove seat and tub and go in from the top.

You need to go in from the top if you are going to verify you are getting spark.
You need either a 5/8ths deep well plug socket or a 5/8ths/16 mm deep well socket.

Thanks, and good to know. I’ll go in from the top as I already have the seat and tube removed. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

- Wolf

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2022, 08:41:18 PM »
Inspected the spark plug. It didn't look bad, but just to be sure I replaced it. Engine still won't turn over. I did inspect the fuses, and none of them were blown. However, my brake lights weren't coming on, nor were any of my lights flashing when I turned the hazard light switch on, so that's cause for concern.

My tank is about 2/3's filled, but the bike has been sitting for about a month since the last time I rode it. With the odd weather we've been having - warm days followed by freezing to below freezing ones, any chance there could be condensation/water in my tank?

I'll try get footage of string up the bike, hopefully by Tuesday

- Wolf

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2022, 09:15:21 PM »
Inspected the spark plug. It didn't look bad, but just to be sure I replaced it. Engine still won't turn over. I did inspect the fuses, and none of them were blown. However, my brake lights weren't coming on, nor were any of my lights flashing when I turned the hazard light switch on, so that's cause for concern.

My tank is about 2/3's filled, but the bike has been sitting for about a month since the last time I rode it. With the odd weather we've been having - warm days followed by freezing to below freezing ones, any chance there could be condensation/water in my tank?

I'll try get footage of string up the bike, hopefully by Tuesday

- Wolf
I need something cleared up, me being the OCD type: when you say the engine won't turn over that means to me when you push the start button all you get is silence, right?

The fact the brake light won't light tells me your brake switches are inoperative in both brake handles. They need to work or the starter won't spin. You can bypass them to prove whether this is the cause.

The spark plug would have nothing to do with this problem since assuming the starter won't spin the engine. I guess I was not the only one confused!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()