Author Topic: Windshields... Who has one and what have you found.  (Read 1643 times)

Smithg27

• View Profile
Windshields... Who has one and what have you found.
« on: November 07, 2013, 11:29:46 PM »
So I've been looking into a windshield. I have read all sorts of posts about it on other websites but to be honest everyone on those websites sound like idiots.

Have any of you with an A50 found that you get a higher top speed? or lower top speed?
Have any of you found that you get higher mpg? or lower mpg?
In theory both of these should go up if you have a windshield that is about the same surface area as your torso and head.

I'm sure the best part about the windshield is not having the wind smash you in the face all the time and not having to listen to windnoise your whole ride.

Lets here what you guys have experienced. I would like to get one for my A50.

reg

• View Profile
Re: Windshields... Who has one and what have you found.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 12:20:29 PM »
I was hoping there would be some replies to this question as i have heard reports of 5mph increases with screen due to smoother airflow.

woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 05:52:06 PM »
as I'm looking to windshield installation, the most important thing for me is comfortable ride and weather protection.
I have italian kappa screen 440A 66x64 cm.
It's protecting my hands and directing airflow over my helmet. a few cm higher screen would be better as I'm 184cm high.
haven't noticed any improvements in mph/mpg but made my everyday riding much more comfortable.
at constant rain at 40mph ride during 20minutes almost all my body was dry. I'm also using leg cover.
But, driving behing anything bigger than renault kangoo, preugeot partner.... is making turbulence.
driving behind lorries and bigger trailer trucks is a nightmare  :(
also, as I have open face helmet, it is protecting me against bugs, debree and rocks  :D

http://www.kappamoto.com/My-motorcycle/?ma=KYMCO&mo=Agility-50-125-150-R16-08--12

Redundant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 10:12:58 PM »
I have a Givi 105A, and it keeps off the rain and wind, rocks and bugs - I got it for that.

http://www.helmetheadcycle.com/product/2332/givi-128a-a439a-kymco-agility-50-replacement-windshield

Eherim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:12:10 PM »
I've got this one.

http://www.easyparts.nl/showarticles_info/01642210_A/0-1688-4602-350-3326-4046/Windscreens-Fabbri-High.html

I haven't noticed any change in top speed, but agree with woodcutter, that it makes the ride a whole lot more comfortable.

This model protects your gloves from being drenched when it rains.

It was a bit too big for Danish Law on the subject, so I cut a bit of the top and personalized the shape a bit with a Jigsaw.
Give way to trains.

Smithg27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 05:38:14 PM »
So I ended up getting a windshield. Got it for Christmas in 2013.
I got the http://www.puigusa.com/tuning-bikes/kymco-agility-50-2009/city-touring/c171en/f1-r26-m2746/
I didn't get it directly from that website but that is the one I have. It works great. Like the other guys said it really really makes the ride more comfortable. I didn't have any major noticeable difference in speed or fuel efficiency although the theory behind it says that both should improve.

F=(1/2)*rho*v^2*A*Cd
F is the drag force
rho is the mass density of the fluid
V is the velocity relative to the object
A is the reference area
Cd is the drag coefficient – a dimensionless coefficient related to the object's geometry and taking into account both skin friction and form drag.

With a windshield the size of your upper body the reference area will stay the same and only the Coefficient of drag will change. Thus the drag force will be reduced increasing speed and fuel efficiency.

But really the great thing about it is the more comfortable ride. I would 100% suggest the investment of a windshield to anyone who rides their scoot often.

JayAre

• Jay Are
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 12:53:23 PM »
Bought a universal off of Ebay for $40 had to modify it/bend the mounts, & cut small bits off the bikes panel to make it fit. My wife likes having it on the bike, Her hair doesn't get so messed up? lol
My wife never asked, " can you make it go faster?" until we bought a 4 stroke Moped. My reply, "yes dear"
2013 Agility 50 de-restricted with 72cc piston & head.
2-2005 Yamaha Zuma's 50cc 2 stroke bone stock

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()