Author Topic: What's your dream scooter  (Read 3255 times)

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
Re: What's your dream scooter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 01:03:28 AM »
The newer Big Burgman's nice if you're looking at maxi's.  capable of 100 mph + and still gets 55-60 mpg (per fuelly).
Not both at the same time of course.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 04:07:07 AM »
Thank you,  wasn't aware of that and glad I know now as the PCX was on my list of scooters that I would buy.

If you use your brakes the same way all the time, the linked brakes won't really make any difference for you.  If you adjust your braking depending on the conditions then linked brakes could be an issue.  Many PCX owners really like the brakes.  The PCX does have a lot of nice features.  I think the combination of engine performance and fuel economy is about the best out there. 

I tend to do things with my scooters that many riders don't like ride off road or even on snow/ice.  I ride aggressively and demand a lot from my brakes.  For me linked brakes would be a big issue.  For many riders they aren't.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 02:55:58 PM »
I wish Honda would bring their integra scooter to the US... Its looks very nice and has a lot of power

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/scooter/Integra-2016/overview.html
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 04:06:25 PM »
There are several types of linked brakes but the most common is where the rear brake lever is also linked to the front brakes.  This is what is on the PCX and most Honda scooters.  This system is designed to help out those riders who don't know how to use their brakes.   It also takes away some of the riders control over the brakes.  On dry pavement it's no big deal and I doubt most people would even notice the brakes are linked.  On a slippery surface it's dangerous as you really can't control how much braking is going to each wheel and can't use only the rear brake if that's what you want to do.  You will not find this system on any motorcycle designed to go off road for this reason.  (that I know of).  Basically I consider this "dumbing down" the braking system.  There is no real benefit to linked brakes for an experienced rider, unlike ABS.  While I could learn to live with it I really don't want to.  I put 72,000 miles on a motorcycle with linked brakes.  I loved the bike but hated the brakes.  I decided never again.  It's one of my pet peeves. 

As far as I know, no Kymco Scooters have linked brakes.

The 2009 Xciting that I rode had linked brakes. I don't know if the current abs equipped models have
Them, but I know the non abs did. Their linked brakes were not even noticeable even on loose surfaces because they had a valve that didn't engage the front until the rear brakes were pressed pretty hard. And they actually applied a different set of front pads. I think I liked that system best. 
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 04:09:15 PM »
My dream scooter hasn't been made yet. It's science fiction. It's one that deploys air bags to prevent one's leg from being severed when side swiping a street sign. Lol
2009 Xciting 250

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 05:56:01 PM »
The 2009 Xciting that I rode had linked brakes. I don't know if the current abs equipped models have
Them, but I know the non abs did. Their linked brakes were not even noticeable even on loose surfaces because they had a valve that didn't engage the front until the rear brakes were pressed pretty hard. And they actually applied a different set of front pads. I think I liked that system best.

The Piaggio BV350 has a system like that.  The rear only actuates the front in heavy braking.  I think the PCX is linked all the time.  Someone on another forum who had a BV350 and his wife had a PCX commented that the linked brakes on the PCX were far more intrusive than on the BV350.  The thing is that there are all kinds of variations of linked brakes out there but I'll bet that the majority of riders have no clue of the features of the system on the bike they are riding.

Harleys new linked brakes don't link if you hit the brakes below 25MPH.  Some bikes are linked front to rear instead of rear to front and some are completely linked both ways with a complex set of valves to control the proportion.  Linked brakes add cost and complexity to the system and often make the system a nightmare to bleed.  Unlike ABS, linked brakes don't provide any anti skid protection. 

one of the reasons I hate linked brakes is that when braking you have normally don't know how much of the braking is being done by each wheel.  With a normal syystem you don't know exactly either but you can try stopping with just the front brake and get a feel for what hand pressure gives a certain amount of braking and then do the same with the rear.  Or if braking with just the front and the adding some rear brake, all that additional braking comes from the rear.

While linked brakes may help beginners it will also make it more difficult for those beginners to learn how to brake properly.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:01:05 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 11:06:39 PM »
My dream scooter hasn't been made yet. It's science fiction. It's one that deploys air bags to prevent one's leg from being severed when side swiping a street sign. Lol

I usually try to avoid street signs, & all three available scoots have a legshield to take that blow anyway.

But if you're talking scifi my dream is electric or more advanced power plant, cruise range effectively infinite (solar recharge maybe?) and no wheels, just antigravity so none of those tire issues :)
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 11:40:55 PM »
I wish Honda would bring their integra scooter to the US... Its looks very nice and has a lot of power

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/scooter/Integra-2016/overview.html

That looks great.   

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 12:26:25 AM »
I usually try to avoid street signs, & all three available scoots have a legshield to take that blow anyway.

But if you're talking scifi my dream is electric or more advanced power plant, cruise range effectively infinite (solar recharge maybe?) and no wheels, just antigravity so none of those tire issues :)
Well, I was just trying to sneak a passive aggressive pity part in when I mentioned the leg protecting air bag  since that's what severed my left leg. Lol.

I like your imagination though. I'm already imagining the front wind screen doubling as solar panels. Hmmmm....
2009 Xciting 250

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 01:24:20 AM »
2016 Honda Adv scooter

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 01:54:24 AM »
2016 Honda Adv scooter

Yep. The Integra with different clothing.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()