Author Topic: Perils of night riding....  (Read 371 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Perils of night riding....
« on: August 22, 2018, 11:08:46 AM »
On my dark ride this morning I witnessed a scary rider situation.
Car on my left began to pull out from a farm lane,  and turn towards me.
In the far distance came a car with twin white headlights, and close-in amber side lights.
Suddenly that pair of lights was swerving and scrubbing off a lot of speed.
Yeah, it wasn't a distant car - it was a fast moving motorcycle!

I thought exactly as that car driver had thought, "here comes a car in the distance".....though actually it was a motorcycle not that far away - and coming at speed.

Fortunately it all ended well.
In full darkness the rider is not visible on a bike - only the lights.

Stig
PS: I've had deer cross this road 3 times this summer. At @30mph  it isn't an issue for me....but that bike rider needs to slow down.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:14:39 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
Re: Perils of night riding....
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 11:35:20 AM »
Wow, Stig... That's a scary situation indeed!

Speed might be a lot of fun, but I'd bet that it's the cause of at least 90% of all accidents for riders.  The faster one is going, the less time one has to react to a hazard. That doesn't even begin to take into account the people in cars who just don't think about riders being on the road, and who aren't being attentive. Even then, the added closure rate of higher speeds is a major contributor.

The only solution for this that I've come up with (and I'm by no means genius enough to think I have any real solutions other than defensive riding) is to add more lights to the bike. As many of you know, I'm in the process of revising my turn signals, but very high on the list of modifications to be made is the addition of very-bright running lights. That, and the high-reflectivity of the gear I wear is the best thing I believe I can do to help protect myself from the inconsiderate and downright negligent drivers we all encounter on a daily basis.

Ride safe, my friends...
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 03:49:37 PM »
Pucker factor 8.0

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 05:52:02 PM »
I wear bright colored helmets (yellow or white) and add some reflective stickers to the helmet.  It won't protect you from critters but will help other drivers notice you. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 08:12:19 PM »
I wear bright colored helmets (yellow or white) and add some reflective stickers to the helmet.  It won't protect you from critters but will help other drivers notice you. 
You would not have been visible in the above situation...only your lights..
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 10:04:57 PM »
Yes I have noticed that unless there are a lot of street lights you can only see the headlight/s and not the rider.  That's another reason I got the Medley and why I first purchased my Like as they have high positioned headlights. 

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 07:49:32 AM »
Lights have always been one of the most important factors for me in purchasing a bike. Sold a lovely 1997 Honda CG125 because the lights were just appalling. I don't think I'd buy a bike with substandard lights anymore and have tended to add more on in recent years!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 03:19:42 PM »
I place extra lights on my scoot for night riding.Dont ride much at night.But when I do I wana be able to see far in me.I hit soft ball on the road going only 20 mph because I was slowing down at the time.But still almost lost it. Plus the deer around me are crazy.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()