Author Topic: Future of scooters in the USA  (Read 1079 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Future of scooters in the USA
« on: April 19, 2018, 08:50:11 PM »
Most recent sales figures I can find are from 2014.
Anyone have more recent scooter sales figures for the USA?

In 2007 there were 157,000 scooters sold in the USA.
In 2008,  228,000
In 2009, 85,000
Then steadily dropping to 67,000 in 2014.

My local mega-brand motorcycle/scooter dealer survived that '09 crash - buying up stock from failed dealerships within a few states radius.

My survival plan is to buy only scooters which have one or more solid parts houses, and only those which are uncomplicated and  which are easily repaired and serviced by me.
Motorcycle sales aren't doing that great - while scooter sales seem to be in a steady decline....in spite of a bunch of old geezers taking up scootering.*
Unless gas goes to $4.00, or more, again, except in California and Florida - I don't see much future for scooters in this country.

Stig

*Anyone heard of a youngster who wants to take up scootering in the States?
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Future of scooters in the USA
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 08:58:24 PM »
You can't predict the future by looking at past or current trends.  There could be a turn around in scooter sales......or they could continue down.  One thing we can all do is try to show others how much fun scooters are.  I recently spent some time talking up scooters with a friend and his wife.  Now they are looking at buying a scooter for her.  We'll see if they actually buy one.

I go out on motorcycle rides on my scooters.  People are always impressed when they see what a scooter can actually do.  I post scooter ride reports on motorcycle forums.  A few people have told me that they bought scooters as a result of reading my reports.  It's an uphill battle but we shouldn't give up.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 09:02:32 PM »
Sometime in the 80s, the sales of small motorcycles tanked in the USA.  There were very few models available for many years.  Recently there has been a real surge in the number of small motorcycles available.  We'll see if that trend lasts but it might be a good sign for scooters as well. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 09:48:28 PM »
If you go to college campuses in California you'll see a good number of scooters. I was at Stanford University last week and the inner campus was full of scooters, mainly Chinese made.

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 10:01:18 PM »
If you go to college campuses in California you'll see a good number of scooters. I was at Stanford University last week and the inner campus was full of scooters, mainly Chinese made.

Maybe a Kymco dealership near a college might be a good idea.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 12:37:46 AM »
Gas prices have really gone up in California. I wouldn't be surprised if scooter sales are up this year {fingers-crossed}

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 07:08:42 AM »
Scooter and light motorcycle sales in the UK have been up and up for years; partially do to with congestion and partially due to our high petrol prices; about $5.50 a gallon in your terms
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 02:35:51 PM »
Seems strange to think it, but that is likely an upside to our rising gas prices here.  Up about 20%+ in the last few months is the Seattle area now solidly above $3 per gallon, even at Costco.  Might still be able to find a hair below that further out of the metro area, but not likely much lower until ya get to Portland.

Scooter and light motorcycle sales in the UK have been up and up for years; partially do to with congestion and partially due to our high petrol prices; about $5.50 a gallon in your terms
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 06:37:07 PM »
Here's a graph for motorcycle sales:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/183549/us-sales-of-motorcycles-since-1990/

I'm not sure if this includes scooters or not.

To me, it doesn't look like sales are down so much as they normalized after a bubble.  In fact according to this graph, sales are higher than they were in the 90's.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 10:01:59 PM »
When I had my Xciting and Majesty, young adults seemed VERY interested because of their similarity to motorcycles but with storage. In other words they could go highway speeds but didn’t look like something just old men would ride. BUT prior to seeing MINE, they didn’t even know that the maxi scooter existed. I believe that with even a HALF HEARTED marketing campaign, they could make at least SOME inroads into the 20-40 age group.

People don’t buy what they don’t even know exists.

Remember, some in this age group aren’t buying cars. But they MIGHT buy a 300+ cc maxi scooter type cycle. The companies will never know if they don’t TRY.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 01:34:21 PM »
If gas prices ever gos high again I think the sales in scoots will go up..Right now there trying to bring electronic scooters in to the market.

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 09:47:15 PM »
I submit that Forbes1964 is correct.

There is NO marketing at all of scooters. In fact, I can't remember the last time I even saw a TV ad for a motorcycle. I hear radio ads for the local Harley-Davidson dealer, but nothing from any other local dealers.

My issue with scooters v. motorcycles is those crotchety old buggers who are riding a beat up old cafe racer, who have the nerve to look down at my scooter. Until we can get past the stigma attached to automatic motorcycles, increasing their popularity will be an uphill ride...
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 10:31:19 AM »
As a "geezer", I can only speak from my own experience.  After a lifetime of riding progressively larger and more expensive bikes, I am now drawn to the simplicity and lightness of scooters.  There are a LOT of us out there: no longer able to comfortably ride our "big" bikes, but not ready to get off two wheels.  Plus, it's all kinds of fun!  And NOBODY hates a long haired tatted up biker when he's on a scooter.  Even the cops smile and wave...
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 10:38:20 AM »

There is NO marketing at all of scooters. In fact, I can't remember the last time I even saw a TV ad for a motorcycle. I hear radio ads for the local Harley-Davidson dealer, but nothing from any other local dealers.

My issue with scooters v. motorcycles is those crotchety old buggers who are riding a beat up old cafe racer, who have the nerve to look down at my scooter. Until we can get past the stigma attached to automatic motorcycles, increasing their popularity will be an uphill ride...
People go to college and pay good money to study marketing. Motorcycle and scooter companies would do well to hire some of these people to reach a wider demographic.

As a child I wanted a Kawasaki because “Kawasaki let’s the god times roll” . [emoji23][emoji23]

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 10:45:06 AM »

How to get rid of a stigma: 1. Hire a well known celebrity (likely one that we older folk don’t like and feel is ruining America. Lol) to push their product in a commercial.
2. Product placement: Have their product strategically placed (in a positive Manner) in any one of the popular movies that are aimed at young people.

All they have to do is hire someone with an imagination.

2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()