Author Topic: The Agility, my story with this wonderful scooter..  (Read 2214 times)

ZatDudeOnline

• View Profile
The Agility, my story with this wonderful scooter..
« on: March 22, 2016, 07:34:53 PM »
When I was out looking for a car, I found that most dealers were selling crap for my price range.  The cars on craigslist were mostly all stolen or in such
bad shape that I might get a thousand miles out of them before breaking down.  Then, a friend said, "why not buy a scooter?"

For a moment, all I could think about was a horrific death at the hands of some yahoo tearing down the street, oblivious to my presence.  However, I did some research, compared brands,
then had my Aunt tell me about a scooter she rented while traveling, a Kymco, with over 95,000 miles on it.  I found that the closest dealer was only a mile away(Moxie Scooters, Colleyville, Texas), meaning if it ever broke down, it wouldn't take an act of god getting it there.  I had just enough, from a camera sale and my tax return, to buy it. 

It felt pretty good leaving the dealer, knowing that I owned a vehicle with a warranty, but there was a problem.  I had never ridden a 2 wheeler since having a bicycle many years beforehand.  So, I asked the dealer for a quick lesson, which they provided.  Then, I gathered some wood and set up various obstacles at the local college parking lot.  I practiced on the first day for an entire tank of fuel, then the next for equally as long.  I slowly tried out this street, then that street.   At the same time, I watched every last Youtube "Motorcycle fail" video I could and wrote down the reason for each person's crash.  I also viewed every safety video as well.  Some might watch the fail videos for a laugh, but it was research for me.  I bought dozens of reflectors and a road worker's uniform to slip over the motorcycle armor I purchased, so that at night, I was a total eyesore.  A week ago, I was caught in a severe thunderstorm and managed to ride it over 15 miles back home in high wind, rain, hail and tornado sirens going off around me.  After that experience, most roads seemed very simple.  I have practiced using my weight in turns, emergency braking, countersteering and counterbalancing.  I'm no Son of Anarchy, but my skill is increasing every day.  Most riders I've met wouldn't dream of riding in a thunderstorm, but every one that comes along, I jump into.  For every storm I survive, it's lessons translate to thousands of worry free miles in dry conditions.

Given that most Texan roads are bumpy as hell with numerous hazards abound, they offer me alot of practice.  In 2,000 miles, I have made sure to experience every type of road condition except ice.  I have seen hot, almost melting asphalt, slippery wet roads(at start of rain), road grooves, dusty roads, gravel roads, sandy unpaved roads, ground up roads(ready for repaving), and tons of railroad tracks in city streets(downtown ft worth's far east side)...it has handled them all.    I must say though, the worst thing to ride through so far was a killer bee swarm(NOT FUN!) and a city park covered in cobwebs(like driving thru silk).  This little Kymco eats the rigors of Texas and keeps smiling, ready to brave the next road. 

Today, the winds are howling at 50mph, but once you've experienced the hells of a severe thunderstorm, it really isn't that bad.  If you're considering getting an Agility, trust me, it's a tank.  It'll take whatever you can dish out and keep begging for more.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: The Agility, my story with this wonderful scooter..
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 09:13:56 PM »
You are on the right track and in the right place! When you collect more moolah take the MSF Basic Rider Course. Good story!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 10:23:39 PM »
You are on the right track and in the right place! When you collect more moolah take the MSF Basic Rider Course. Good story!

Karl
+1

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 11:09:37 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience with us, Zat. Another good testimony to the quality build of Kymco.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Jim Moore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 10:33:45 AM »
Brother, welcome to the world of two-wheeled awesomeness. It's fun, cheap, and filled with opportunities for utter hilarity. I recommend you take an MSF class. It will teach you a few tricks that might help you out some day.

ad_astra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 01:42:57 AM »
Glad you're enjoying the ride. I got my Agility last year and I've been having a great time with it. It's my daily rider, unless I have to drop my kid at school, and pretty soon it will be hers if I gallantly give it to her so I can get a 200i.. wait that doesnt sound all that gallant. Anyway, yes these scooter are great. It's definately changed my life for the better.

Since you're handling storms regularly, what kind of rain gear do you recommend?
2014 Kymco Agility 125

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 12:17:39 AM »
Great wwrite up.  That's why some of us ride these goofy things. ...and through all kinds of weather and temps@!
Makes no sense to normal people.
Take that riding class. Enjoy.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 11:18:48 AM »
I've never thought of a scooter as goofy. Just fun! When I was a kid and people has mopeds I knew they were having more fun than I was.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()