Author Topic: 300lbs rider...wear and tear concerns?  (Read 6167 times)

Esquivel

• BassFiddler
    • View Profile
300lbs rider...wear and tear concerns?
« on: October 05, 2012, 02:30:54 AM »
6'2 300lbs  guy looking at the Super 8 150 as a daily commuter for 48 miles, 12 miles 4 times. Kymco's quality is great from what I researched. Looked into a Super 8 50 a few years ago as a joy rider before I lost my job. Was pleasantly surprised to now see a 150 available. Not too worried about fit or top speed. 45-55 mph is all I need. I'm mostly worried about engine and CVT wear and tear riding everyday for years to come? How many life miles could a normal user expect. Should I expect less? Any other issues I should be concerned about with mpg, top speed, etc?

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: 300lbs rider...wear and tear concerns?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 02:50:38 AM »
My wife rides pillion everyday.. that's a total of 320lbs... lots of obstacles like rain and potholes... my Super 8 is 125cc is still as smooth as silk since I got it last year... belt is still original at 11,000 on the odometer... just do the normal maintenance schedules and it will last years and years... The super8 has a stiff suspension and is very stable if the rider is heavy. I noticed when I'm alone, the rear is jumpy... so, I think at 300lbs. , the 150cc would be fine...

Esquivel

• BassFiddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 02:57:16 AM »
Thanks Vivo, for the price and sportiness I am really excited about this Super 8. Its good to know that 2 of your are equaling me and riding without problems. ;-)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 03:08:50 AM »
You're welcome Esquivel... Just be careful with those original tires, they are quite slippery somtimes in the rain. I might look for better tires when the time comes.

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 11:38:38 AM »
The bike is built to handle two people so 300lbs should not pose a problem.  The engine is a GY6 motor.  Most common motor in the world as just about everything in Asia seems to run it... it has been around for over 20 years.  There hasn't been any real changes to it simply because it performs as well as it does and parts are very available... as are upgrade kits.  The tires that come stock are great tires but they are very hard rubber... in the dry, the do just fine but they can't grip anything in the wet... if you get different tires with softer rubber, they will grip better in the wet but will not last over 10k miles (maybe not 3k depending how grippy they are).  If you are driving in a lot of wet weather, definitely trade them out but otherwise I doubt they will be a problem.

Just FYI... the speedometer reads about 10% faster than what you are actually doing... at 60mph, you are really doing 55mph... and it won't go much faster without mods.  It has no trouble getting to "60mph" but it struggles at anything past it.  If you are going to be on a freeway, definitely do a larger bike because minimum speed on the freeway is the bike maxed out.
I will ski till Hell freezes over... then I will have no fear of death.

Esquivel

• BassFiddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 05:35:17 PM »
Thanks skishades. I've heard of the GY6 before, didn't know the Super 8 had it, that's great to know. I like having that kind of parts, rebuild and maintenence ability that's not a Honda or Suzuki etc.

I don't need the freeway on my commute. Basically I can avoid it with plenty of back roads. If I did ever take the freeway it's only a 3 mile stretch. But even so I had considered a few minor mods. Would an exhaust and a K&N filter in place of the airbox, or whatever it has, open it up any significant amount? This becoming my daily rider I wouldn't really want to get into the engine at all. Maybe some carb jet tweeks as well would help?   

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 10:10:59 PM »
Esquivel: I purchased a 2012 Super 8 150 to keep @ my parents home in Florida. They are getting older & I want to visit them like 4-5 times a year. I won't take delivery until November 6th (when I come down) BTW....I own a Kymco GT300i up here in my hometown (Magnolia/Gloucester, MA.)

I owned the Kymco People S200 (163cc air-cooled engine) It's really the same GY6 engine as the Super 8. It's damn near bullet-proof! As another poster mentioned, it's been in production for countless years now. I was around 220 lbs. when I was riding the S200 & I have packed-on a few since then. Trust me...It will be more then fine! I would feel a little uneasy about the highway with a Super 8 150, but that's just me (i.e. I don't like highways even w/ my GT300i)

Pull the trigger! It's a soild scoot for fairly short money!

Good Luck!
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 03:03:19 AM »
A new Super 8 150 is set up at optimum as it starts with 13 gram rollers in the CVT, and is balanced for takeoff and top end for a long time.
I got a used one with 5000 miles, and when I opened the CVT  to inspect, there was only minor wear on the belt and drive face, and the rollers were still servicable for another 3-5000 miles at least, and maybe more.

The stock drive weighs 300 grams, so I put in a standard gy6 one that weighs 237, and went to 14 gram rollers to keep the RPMs down at WOT. Top speed is 63 MPH and 55 is comfortable.

I tried a 108 jet, but it seems to rob power by being to rich, so I replaced it with the stock 102 and left the stock 35 pilot jet alone.

Not much tuning is required, but if you care to, most gy6 parts will work, Keihin jets and 18x14 rollers, replacement belt is 23100 KEC4 9000
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 03:06:31 AM »
Yup, not too much tuning, just good ol' maintenance and TLC... ;D

Esquivel

• BassFiddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 03:52:36 AM »
Thanks for the great info guys. I was going to ask about some specific parts numbers and what jets to use. But you all set the table.

I hadn't planned on purchasing this year. With how things are going for me, I figure maybe early spring 2013 to have enough for buying OTD. Any of you ever finance one of these? I have a Ural dealer of all places who deals in Kymco. Or a guy with BMS and Roketa, but I want the Kymco, asap. I would feel more comfortable spending an extra K on the Kymco.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 05:23:53 AM »
Chinese crap are crap but they are ok. I had one before... the engine is good, but other parts are not, like panels, screws, wires, lights, etc. You will be surely satisfied with a Kymco... I might get another one... if the missus approves... :D 

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 09:14:49 AM »
The chinese bikes are cheap... they have no parts distributer in the US.  I read you would need to buy 2 so you have the parts you need in case one breaks down... until the parts distribution improves, I would steer clear.  Kymco's Super 8 150 is made in China, but it is not a chinese scoot and I can testify how well Kymco stands by their bikes as I did have a rare warranty work done on the carburetor with no problems or hassles. 

Just FYI on upgrading your engine... the pipes will help but the carb may need adjustment afterward... A better air filter will prevent more gunk from getting into the engine but the oil filter is a simple screen mesh... the engine is crude and not delicate so it can handle the "gunk" as it were...  If you do anything to the piston, carburetor or other significant part of the engine, you kinda have to go all in and upgrade everything... A larger carb won't help without a bigger piston, which won't get enough air without a better air filter nor will it exhaust effectively without a better exhaust... The good news is, it doesn't cost that much for a complete overhaul... my understanding is about 1000 to 1500 dollars for everything.  A pipe is more about sound than significant performance unless you do the overhaul and the variator seems to be the popular change.  I changed the lights to LED on mine but haven't touched the engine yet but I'm sure that is only a matter of time...  Good luck.
I will ski till Hell freezes over... then I will have no fear of death.

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 11:13:22 AM »
Honestly....I wouldn't tweak anything on the Super 8 myself. There is no real reason to! What are going to pick-up a few MPH on the top end? Keep it stock & she'll take care of you. It's a real simple straight forward engine. I could see if someone has a 50cc 2T engine, then tweaking comes into play. Save your coin this Fall & Winter & grab a Super 8 in the Spring. As I mentioned, I bought one to keep @ my parents home in FL. Anyway...I mailed the dealer cheks for $1200.00, $800.00 & then finally $500.00. I'll put the remainder on my CC.

Here is what I paid:

$2295.00 (2013 Red/White Kymco Super 8)
$195.00 (Dealer Prep & Freight)
$139.00 (Shad Red 33 Liter Top Case)
$35.00 (Kymco Truck Mount Kit Kymco SKU#K0SP59ST)
$40.00 (Deltran Battery Tender Jr. Battery Float Charge Pigtail)  

All these prices include installation. A fair deal if you ask me. She (Heidi @ Tropical Scooters of Vero Beach) charged me $195.00 for dealer prep, but gave me $200.00 off the reatil price. Try to score the Super 8 around what I paid (if you can)

Good Luck!

PS: This is my favorite YouTube video of the Super 8. Play it back @ 720P resolution. Looks nice!

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:45:06 PM by MassScoot »

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 01:37:50 AM »
Yeah, keep it stock... the engine is basic and bullet proof... no check engine issues, to electronic issues, just oil it and fill'er up, twist and go...

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 01:56:54 AM »
Vivo: I agree as well that the Chinese aren't there yet. But there is one company called Bintelli (Znen Built) that's is doing it right from the start. Setting-up a solid dealer networks, parts & making an excellent scooter. I went to see this Bintelli Havoc 150cc here:

http://www.bintelli.com/150cc/havoc-150cc

I spent 1+ looking one over. It's the best Chinese scooter I have ever seen. Plastics were of Kymco quailty. They use only stainless-steel hardware. 2-year warranty, Motobatt battery (excellent battery), NGK plug, Gates belt, Deni carb., Duro tires & Halogen lights. Znen is by far & away the best Chinese-built scooter factory. They started up about a year ago & I think they'll be the leader (quality wise) That Havoc 150cc runs $1600.00 minues dealer prep. Check out the Product Photo Gallery @ the top. It's a very cool scooter with those wide 13" tires. It's kind of a Yamaha Zuma knock-off.

I really considered it very hard, but decided to spend the extra $800.00 for the Super 8. Trust me....A few years from now you'll start to see good quailty scooters coming from the mainland. I think Bintelli is almost there. Here is a quick article about Bintelli.

http://digital.dealernews.com/nxtbooks/advanstar/dn0912/#/12

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()