Author Topic: ABS in the US???  (Read 1538 times)

dave bean

• View Profile
ABS in the US???
« on: January 14, 2012, 02:59:29 PM »
So here's a question: I've read that the DT300 has ABS available elsewhere in the world.... so why isn't that option available here in the US!??!?

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: ABS in the US???
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 08:50:01 AM »
So here's a question: I've read that the DT300 has ABS available elsewhere in the world.... so why isn't that option available here in the US!??!?

Most bikers even here in EU where ABS is available on more and more bikes still think they can stop better without it.
All of the above have never tried a bike with ABS anyways.

In the US, as far as I've read, the situation (read: ignorance) is even worse.
 :-\
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 04:28:28 PM »
ABS does not neccesarily stop you better. It prevents lockup and to date I have not been able to pull the clappers hard enough to experieince that. It may help with bad weather where a lock up is possibly more prevelant. IMHO I'd would rather not have ABS on a bike. I prefer having control of the applied brakes and their responce.

Even on a car at times it is unnerving to me having the brakes slip, like on divits of the road. Again this is a personal opinion...............

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 07:59:46 PM »
ABS does not neccesarily stop you better. It prevents lockup and to date I have not been able to pull the clappers hard enough to experieince that. It may help with bad weather where a lock up is possibly more prevelant. IMHO I'd would rather not have ABS on a bike. I prefer having control of the applied brakes and their responce.

I prefer having control of the bike, the ABS controls brakes better then 99% of people can.

I've done over 20k miles on an ABS bike, and even if it saved me only once it would be worth the
extra $, but it actually saved my a$$ at least 3 times from certain front wheel lock-up crashes.

I was testing the ABS very often, learning how it works so it wouldn't surprise me.
Most people do a huge mistake when the ABS kicks in - they panic and let go of the brakes and
then re-apply them. That's something that will confuse the ABS and should never be done.

I've had situations where a cat would jump in front of me out of a tree, and my braking path included
2 changes in pavement granulation, gravel, wavy road patches and wheat spilled from a truck that
just passed.

Try not to luck up the wheels over that.
I just stomped both and stopped eventually.

I even won a bet with a guy on an CBR1000RR outbraking him 2 out of 3 times on perfect pavement
with my budget brakes, and that was with him KNOWING he will have to make an emergency stop.

THis is really a no-brainer, and it soon will be a law.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 06:07:30 AM »
Sorry no ABS = Dead Cat....................... :)

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 07:54:30 AM »
Sorry no ABS = Dead Cat....................... :)

If you can ignore the urge to stomp on the brakes, you don't actually have time to think
about it when it happens. I'm sure 98% of people would brake, and over 50% IMHO would
lock up the front and kiss the pavement long before they even reach the cat.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 09:23:04 AM »
Already had one cat almost buy it. I was doing 35 MPH and it darted out. Albeit I'll admit being startled and the hands went for the levers but they never got squeezed just cover braking. Litterally the cat just got missed and/or it had a real sore tail. You are correct most though won't react as quickly and would have been in braking mode. Again no ABS on a bike is a personal choice....................

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()