Author Topic: 1.8 Gallon tank...uhm, no it's not  (Read 3729 times)

scooterchad

• View Profile
1.8 Gallon tank...uhm, no it's not
« on: July 23, 2010, 05:37:22 PM »
Long story short. I ran out of gas. Scoot stop scooting so I twisted open the gas cap and it was dry as a bone.

I was testing my People 150 to see how far I can go on a tank of gas. And well, now I know for certain that the gas tank does not hold 1.8 gallons as Kymco states on http://kymcousa.com/showroom/scooters/people150/index.html

I'm 1001% certain because I traipsed down the hill and bought a 1 gallon gas can at the nearest gas station. And returned to my bike and the one gallon can filled it up to the rim.

So, lesson learned. 

Dibber

• View Profile
Re: 1.8 Gallon tank...uhm, no it's not
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 06:24:54 PM »
Most 1 gal gas cans hold more then 1 gal.  I have two of them and they hold 1.4 gallons or so.  There needs to be room for expansion.  So it could be you had over a gallon of gas in the can if you filled it to the top.  If not you might want to check with Kymco or your deal, because my Son has put in over a gallon in his, I know because Dad (Me) paid for the gas.

scooterchad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 06:49:05 PM »
you're right. a one gallon can does hold a little more than one gallon but I don't think it would come close to 1.8...that's getting very close to two gallons.

Lammy1000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 12:35:43 PM »
I need to know the capacity for wife's safety.  Might try this test myself, keeping a small container of gas on board.

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 01:38:44 AM »
I often exceed 1.5 gallons when I fill my 2005 P150.  So, I'm guessing the tank size is probably pretty close to 1.8 gallons.  Did you have the scoot on the center stand or side stand when you filled it?  That would make a difference.  I've found it's pretty tricky to get the tank completely full without spewing gas all over the place, especially if you have a "strong" pump.

scooterchad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 02:50:21 PM »
You know, I've still yet to get more than 1.05 gallons in at a time. It's really not that big of a deal. I LOVE the bike. I'll just be sure to gas up more often because running out of gas wasn't fun.

stiffi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 08:22:22 AM »
I think I'm about the same.

I run the bike till the guage is right at empty. Even then, I can only squeeze in 1 gallon. I do fill up on the side stand, though. It's much more convenient.

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 10:47:42 PM »
I have a one gallon gas can that can take 1.75 gal at the pump. Have done that many times.

Fanny LaFaye

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 07:07:48 PM »
I've never hit dry, but I regularly fill over 1.6 gallons at pump. If you really want to fill it, rock it gently/slowly back and forth on the center stand when you think you're close to full. I've noticed the can traps a nice air bubble if you fill at the wrong angle.

On that note, does anyone else have a gas gauge that seems to like sitting on F until the tank is half empty?

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 03:15:34 AM »
I've never hit dry, but I regularly fill over 1.6 gallons at pump. If you really want to fill it, rock it gently/slowly back and forth on the center stand when you think you're close to full. I've noticed the can traps a nice air bubble if you fill at the wrong angle.

On that note, does anyone else have a gas gauge that seems to like sitting on F until the tank is half empty?

Sounds like my 2005 P150's gas gauge.  The first half of the tank runs for quite a while, but once she hits 1/2, the needle drops quickly.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 07:33:13 AM »

Every Kymco.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()