Author Topic: 200i Like won't start  (Read 1002 times)

jdeppen

• View Profile
200i Like won't start
« on: October 15, 2015, 11:54:20 PM »
Hello,
I recently bought a used 2013 200i for my wife from a lady who only rode it a few times and it had 50 miles on it.  We have not had any problems with it until just recently. It currently has about 500 miles on it. It won't start. As I think back, it has never really started easily. It always took a few presses on the ignition and sometimes more than a few to turn over. I have charged/tested the battery and it is good. I tested for spark at the plug and I do not have any spark as far as I can tell. I checked/removed and refastened the cable and tested for continuity. It checks out OK. 

I am generally handy and definitely good at following directions with pictures! Does anyone have any ideas about my next step in troubleshooting. Do I check the coil next? I also found the service manual online and am currently reading through it for ideas.  It just seems like it would be something simple as opposed to a bad component given the low mileage, but who knows.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Jim

HelloPitty

• View Profile
Re: 200i Like won't start
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 11:58:15 PM »
This is silly to say, but make sure you didn't accidentally flip the switch on the right handlebar that is the kill switch.
I'm sure you've checked, but just had to mention it as it has happened to me.

jdeppen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 12:06:11 AM »
Thanks, but I did check that as well. Not sure how that switch works though. Maybe it is faulty and denies spark?

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 01:57:47 AM »
charged/tested the battery
Did that include testing battery cranking volts?

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 02:56:11 AM »
I had starting issues on my Like and it turned out to be the electric cable to the starter. The screw that holds the cable in place came off. Even with the missing screw the cable lay on the engine casing which allowed the engine to start sporadicly. When it wouldn't start I bounce on the scooter a bit which caused the cable to make better contact with the engine casing. Once I discovered the fault I got a new screw at the hardware store which was replaced shortly there after with an OEM part supplied by our man Stig. To prevent the screw from coming loose again I applied a little Loctite to the threads.

Long story short check the cable contact point to the starter motor for a loose or missing screw.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()