Author Topic: Newbe  (Read 679 times)

poppajim

• View Profile
Newbe
« on: November 19, 2016, 01:02:19 AM »
Hello every one I am  a new member to the Kymco Forums. My name is Jim and my wifes name is Sandy. We do not own a Kymco yet but this Sunday we are looking at a 2006 Kymco Xciting 250 with 5800 miles on it. They claim it was just serviced and in very good condition with minor scratches from the previous owner. Can any one tell me what to look for good or bad? This wil be for my wife, taking a course in the Spring , but I would like to get her something now so we could go out on it from time to time till then. Plus if she sees it every day she will keep the interest in getting her license. I personally ride a 2007 Hond Goldwing with a Roadsmith Trike Kit. I am on other forums and it is alway a good place for advice from others experiences. Thanks in advance. Ride Safe
Jim

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Newbe
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 06:59:19 PM »
Hello Jim and Sandy. Welcome to the forum and to the scooter world. I am a "newbie" on this site, as well, but by no means new to motorcycle and scooter riding group. I come with 57 years of riding experience have taught motorcycle safety and maintenance over the years. Getting back to your question about what to look for in a used bike. It is always VERY helpful if you could possibility talk with the previous owner, as they can provide you with some history of the bike;ie, maint. intervals, type of lubricants used, ridden mostly one up or two up, and city or hwy use, etc. The overall physical appearance is important as it's a good indicator of how the bike was taken care of. If someone disregards the outward appearance, which the Can see, it is likely that they will not be all that concerned about the things that they cannot see. Then there the actual ride. Is the CVT quite or noisy, (squels or rattles), whining in the final drive,  are there any misfires under load. You can see the brake pads fore and aft, with a flashlight, fir thickness, (not a bad or expensive fix) and are the rotors scored? There is much more that others can add, but maybe this will help. I owned an Exciting 250 once. Very good bike. I now have a Kymco Downtown 300i and it,s proving to be a good ride also. Good luck and happy riding to you and Ms Sandy.

Mac, aka ole two wheels
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Re: Newbe
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 07:06:57 PM »
Hey!

Welcome to the forum. I ride a Downtown 300i, a touring style bike, and similar to yours. With any bike make sure the tires, brake pads, battery and spark plug are in good condition. If you haven't tried it yet make sure you and any passenger is comfortable with the seat.

Next, I'd make sure the seat pops open easily, and closes securely as well. See if the side and center stand are not lose, rusting or missing any bolts.

Check the oil, and find out what is needed for an oil change -- specific filters, and tools.

Post pics when you can,

- Wolf

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()